quad in deep snow?

tipper

Reaction score
Hey guys, quads are new to me i've always had dirtbikes. Anyways the other day I was on a camping trip and it snowed 2feet overnight! Had a hell of a time trying to get back out to the truck. Had to walk ahead and pack the snow and struggle in low range wfo barely moving. I tried taking most of the air out of the tires but it didn't seem to help. Are tracks the only other option? I imagine chains wouldn't do much in deeper snow?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quads are new to me i've always had dirtbikes. Anyways the other day I was on a camping trip and it snowed 2feet overnight! Had a hell of a time trying to get back out to the truck. Had to walk ahead and pack the snow and struggle in low range wfo barely moving. I tried taking most of the air out of the tires but it didn't seem to help. Are tracks the only other option? I imagine chains wouldn't do much in deeper snow?

Although I'm dying to try tracks, they make me a little nervous because it would potentially be very difficult to recover your machine if one of the tracks failed. Perhaps someone with tracks can chime in here.

In my experience it doesn't take much snow to stop a quad with tires if the snow is wet at all. However, if the snow is dry, you should be able to plow your way through 2' of it. Wet or dry, tires make a pretty significant difference here. Tires that dig really well will get you into trouble a lot faster in the deeper shhtuff. Something that performs really well in the skeg will probably also do you really well in the snow because they have a tendency to want to stay on top of the snow instead of digging to the bottom. I've seen Mud Bugs do really well in the snow, at least compared to XTR's.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have camoplast utv tracks for my commander utv and I must say they impress me whenever I go out with the wife and kid, I take my sled and let the wife and kid take the commander and she never has a problem getting stuck or keeping up with me within reason! I have had it in 4 feet of powder and had no trouble plowing through it! Also have not have any issues with the tracks themsleves! So I reccommend it! Oh and if u do get stuck as long as u have a shovel u will always get out! Here are some pics! trackin pics 028.jpg family trackin 014.jpg trackin in sunshine 016.jpg

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy that put tracks on his quad last winter and he loves them. He does alot of shed antler hunting in the spring and said they are the best thing going. Thats what he tells me anyway

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

tipper

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Wish I had a little more cash sitting around to try out some tracks!
bjd68, that thing looks pretty cool, would like to try one out sometime!!

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run tracks on Outlander and they work excellent -- but we are not in the mountains---you need to put a SNOW SOCK over your "air intake" and your clutch intake" as the swerling snow will be sucked into the engine and clutches---- if too much snow dust into the airbox it will freeze the air filter into a block of ice and the clutches will start slipping burning belts and destroying your clutches from the heat created by the slipping belts--- a few pictures if they upload

Attachments

• 00-2010-11-30_TCSC_TM_Tracks109.jpg
    00-2010-11-30_TCSC_TM_Tracks109.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 193

Megrizzly

Reaction score
groom 3.jpg
groom3.jpg

Tracks in my mind are the only option for winter. There performance even in 2" of snow is so much better than tires. Put a small drag behind a wheeled bike in 6" of snow and there's so much wasted in spinning. The tracks don't even feel it.

Try putting an ATV with tires on this groomer and it would move about 5 feet. I'm not even spinning here and pulling in high with little to no base.

In my opinion, tracks are completely worth it. Especially in deep snow, mud, or utility work.

RIPPINTARE

Reaction score
Those j wheelz look like they work good. J-wheels.com. Around $700.

Last edited:
Top Bottom