Purchasing a Polaris From the US

GRD

Reaction score
I was doing some research and thought I would share my findings. I talked to a dealer in Montana (Kurt's Polaris - Kalispell dealer) about purchasing a 2008 Polaris Ranger RZR.

Although the price works out to be approximately a $3500 saving, Polaris dealers (in Montana and I would assume all other states) are not able to sell products to individuals who do not have an address in the states. I also found out that if you do have a Polaris machine from the states, any warranty work that is required, would not be honored at a Canadian dealership. The Canadian dealership can do the work, but the required warranty repairs would be out of pocket costs.

Last edited:

jester

Reaction score
for 3500 i think its time we hook up with some riders down south to buy it and then take it off their hands, we now have a "used" bike and dont need to pay gst. plus dealers dont cover crap up here.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
$ of us snowchecked XPs and now we could of bought cheaper from the states. With that amount of savings who needs warrany or just take a trip south

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
I can safely say that this 08xp will be the last Canadian sled that I buy unless BRP will follow the exchange rate. The 4 of us that bought xp's could have saved $3000.00 Cdn. each that would cover all my warranty clams for the last 4 years and still have money for big fatties. The canadian way pay top price and then pay gross taxes and smile becouse we have free medical and people are dying waiting for procedures. I am proud to be Canadian but ashamed of our government (minority gov. don't work)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I believe that Canadian dealers wont do warrenty work on a US Polaris. I believe that a sales man will tell you that so you dont go south. If I drive my Canada bought Ranger in the States and I break down and need warrenty are they not going to cover it? Or vise versa? I'm just in the process of bring across a 2008 Buick brand new and every sales man in Red Deer, Luduc and Edmonton that I talked to all said I cant import it and no warrenty. Needless to say I'm flying down on the 14th to drive her home as for the warrenty once its registard in Canada it's no diff then you truck or car.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P.S you will have to pay GST on used quads you bring across the border as well.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We need BigIQ? he has brought back 2 sleds and 1 quad. I brought back 2 sled and sled trailer but I was living down there for a year, so no GST or duty on any of it.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can safely say that this 08xp will be the last Canadian sled that I buy unless BRP will follow the exchange rate. The 4 of us that bought xp's could have saved $3000.00 Cdn. each that would cover all my warranty clams for the last 4 years and still have money for big fatties. The canadian way pay top price and then pay gross taxes and smile becouse we have free medical and people are dying waiting for procedures. I am proud to be Canadian but ashamed of our government (minority gov. don't work)

You won't be buying anything then because none of them follow the exchange rate. neither does Chev, Ford, Toyota or a couple hundred other companies. They are all wrong, not just BRP.

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
Summit889 it is sad but true they all are gouging us. The only one that I know of that is different is Harley Davidson they follow the exchange better than most. I WILL BUY FROM THE STATES.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I will never buy in Canada again, my wife just got back today with our 2008 Buick Enclave. Best deal I could get here was $59500 Can plus GST plus dealer fees $450 to $600. Including flights gas and hotels for 4 nights "made side trip to Yellowstone park" and fees at border GST,Air tax and RIV fees, we spent $50500 Can. I can do alot of drving for $13000.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Re:buick Purchase In The U.s.

ATTAGO, OVERKILL;)....WHAT CITY AND WHAT BUICK DEALER DID YOU BUY FROM.... IS THE PRICE BETTER IN ANY CITY DOWN THERE OVER THE OTHER, OR JUST LOCATION??:confused:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just built the one I wanted on Buick.com and thats were I made the deal. Mine came out of Idaho, just because it was the closest, next one was in Spokane. Tried to fined one in Vagas "cheaper flights I thought" but one way to Idaho falls was around $300. The prices I stated earlier included 2 tickets to Idaho as I paid for my sister to go with my wife, my 2 nephews tagged along as well. They made a little holiday out of it due to having to wait 72 hours before hitting the border. They had a blast and I saved $13000 ,I can tell you who of us had more fun.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Summit889 it is sad but true they all are gouging us. The only one that I know of that is different is Harley Davidson they follow the exchange better than most. I WILL BUY FROM THE STATES.

I agree with you. any major purchases i make will be from the US. I thought in your one post you were saying BRP was worse than the others.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. I think some are better deals than others, but you still save some just depends on were you have to go to get it. A note to check for when importing a truck, car or SUV check to see if that vehicle is not on the Green list as we got lucky and the Buick was not, other wise it's a $2000can fee. I was told buy RIV that Canadian legislation is changing sept 1 2007 for the importing of section 5, which is SUV's check it out befor you go. This is the reason we got ours now.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to add, boats and seadoo's are exempt from RIV fees but if you bring them on a trailer it has to go through the RIV program. GST will be paid on both "new or used" Way easier than trucks ,cars or suvs

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Just to add, boats and seadoo's are exempt from RIV fees but if you bring them on a trailer it has to go through the RIV program. GST will be paid on both "new or used" Way easier than trucks ,cars or suvs

HEY OVERKILL.... DO YOU KNOW IF SLED TRAILERS ARE EXEMPT TOO??? I WILL BE GOIN' STATESIDE TO BUY A 4PLACE ENCLOSED THIS FALL, AND JUST CURIOUS IF YOU KNOW WHAT I WILL HAVE TO CLAIM EG: GST? DUTY? TAXES? NEW OR USED MAKE A DIFFERENCE?? :confused: THANKS SUMM

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HEY OVERKILL.... DO YOU KNOW IF SLED TRAILERS ARE EXEMPT TOO??? I WILL BE GOIN' STATESIDE TO BUY A 4PLACE ENCLOSED THIS FALL, AND JUST CURIOUS IF YOU KNOW WHAT I WILL HAVE TO CLAIM EG: GST? DUTY? TAXES? NEW OR USED MAKE A DIFFERENCE?? :confused: THANKS SUMM

You will pay GST. no duty on items originating from the US.

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
I heard that all trailers imported from USA must go to cdn tire for the canadian safety inspection. If this is true it is one of those things that make you go ?????????is this right?

GRD

Reaction score
What are RIV fees? What does RIV stand for? Probably a dumb question.

Well I will never buy in Canada again, my wife just got back today with our 2008 Buick Enclave. Best deal I could get here was $59500 Can plus GST plus dealer fees $450 to $600. Including flights gas and hotels for 4 nights "made side trip to Yellowstone park" and fees at border GST,Air tax and RIV fees, we spent $50500 Can. I can do alot of drving for $13000.

Top Bottom