What’s actually holding back EV purchases

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PG&E did a trial on this for about 20,000 customers in Washington (the customers had to voluntarily sign up). Basically PG&E could increase or decrease the temperature by a maximum of 2 degrees Fahrenheit. I think everyone needed to have a standardized thermostat to do this.

In some areas this makes a lot of sense, the grid at times is pushed to the limit and the option could be blackouts or having the temperature of your house move a degree or two. I know if I was in that scenario which I'd choose.

100%, same goes for EV charging, its should get suspended on high demand times, a EV uses way more power than my AC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beware the power company selling you the idea of a smart meter for your home. They will just turn off your house remotely during high grid demand, thermostat will be the least of your worries.

Don't think so. Utility companies already have that ability, except now they have to shut off an entire neighborhood instead of a single house.

Kind of counterproductive to being in the business of selling electricity. Would be like a gas station turning away pickups because the buy too much fuel.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They exist south of the border already. They can read your electrical load and if you don’t cut it back when they tell you to, no power for you.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that bad…
94cdbaebaeea1d8cc98680d7c7f24aa8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a beautiful drive but not the ideal way to travel innthe winter. We go the other way due to tourists in the summer and single lane through the park in the winter

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beware the power company selling you the idea of a smart meter for your home. They will just turn off your house remotely during high grid demand, thermostat will be the least of your worries.
Smart meter can't turn off your house. It has no disconnect capability built into it.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so charge it after 9pm. What's the big deal?
Might have missed the point, if i am paying for power i should be able to dam well charge it whenever i want not when Gobbernments think it's convenient for them. Do you really think Gobbernment officials that have EV's are gonna abide by this? Not a hoping H, this is what Kings/Queens did back in the day as well to the surfs that lived outside the Castle walls, where does the bs end with the "We the People" elected individuals and there cronyism and tyrannical thought trains.;)

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might have missed the point, if i am paying for power i should be able to dam well charge it whenever i want not when Gobbernments think it's convenient for them. Do you really think Gobbernment officials that have EV's are gonna abide by this? Not a hoping H, this is what Kings/Queens did back in the day as well to the surfs that lived outside the Castle walls, where does the bs end with the "We the People" elected individuals and there cronyism and tyrannical thought trains.;)

Have you ever driven an electric car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deflection much ? I think he’s referring to more governmental control ,and a continued erosion of ability to make personal choices , based on the Premise that it’s all for our own good !
If you have an electric car, solar, and batteries I guess you're immune to government control. Does the government control the price of gasoline?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deflection much ? I think he’s referring to more governmental control ,and a continued erosion of ability to make personal choices , based on the Premise that it’s all for our own good !

Do you honestly think it's fair that (at this point) a select few (talking about EV owners here) should be allowed to consume vast amounts of electricity during peak times risking blackouts or worse? Or is it reasonable to ask EV users to offset their charging to the middle of the night, especially when their cars are parked at their homes anyway?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wholesale power prices increase 10x during peak demand in Alberta. So yeah, you'll be able to use as much power as you want, whenever you like. But when time of use billing comes in it'll cost $100 to charge your EV during peak times, or you could charge in the middle of the night for $10.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you honestly think it's fair that (at this point) a select few (talking about EV owners here) should be allowed to consume vast amounts of electricity during peak times risking blackouts or worse? Or is it reasonable to ask EV users to offset their charging to the middle of the night, especially when their cars are parked at their homes anyway?
Of course it’s reasonable . The control Issue I see , and I understand it’s a voluntary decision to buy an EV , is there is no one telling IC owners when they can buy fuel , which limits in Many cases their ability to travel . Buy one , don’t buy one , I don’t care , but stop the constant verbal and financial initiative designed to cause us all to immediately embrace the EV experience , when its very plain to see , there are a hell of a lot of growing pains before it’s a fix for everyone.
And , let’s start causing the ones who produce and market these machines to begin contributing to the creation and maintenance of roads and hiways , and the sooner the better.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want an EV buy an EV. They have some very cool features and some of them absolutely rip, but don't act like you're saving the fuckin planet doin it.

Johnny has been extremely open about his experience with it which I appreciate.

Top Bottom