Pump Premium fuel degradation over time

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the price of premium hovering around a buck, Ive been thinking about filling my fuel barrel for the winter, but I'm on the fence because I'm not sure how pump gas holds up once it has been pumped... it would be going into a sealed drum,but does it hold up like leaded fuel?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'm not expert but over the course of the season I think it would be fine as far as degradation. I would be more concerned about contamination from using an old barrel.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'm not expert but over the course of the season I think it would be fine as far as degradation. I would be more concerned about contamination from using an old barrel.

barrel is clean sealed and in my garage.... so that should be ok

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
no different than filling the fuel cell under your enclosed trailer and using it for the season.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would just do a simple ethanol test from where ever you are going to buy your premium fuel from. Take a clear glass tube (something like a baby food jar). Fill it a 1/3 with water and the rest with fuel leaving somewhat of an air space in the container. Shake it up, if there is any ethanol in the premium it will show up in between the water and the fuel.

I would only be concerned about ethanol in the fuel being stored as it will collect moisture within a month. Moisture bad. If you have no ethanol then you should be fine to fill your storage container for the season.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put some fuel conditioner in and keep the barrel out of sunlight. It should easily last the season. With the large volume of fuel inside, it will take longer to go bad.

Sent from my iPhone

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy from a busy gas station, that way you have less of a chance buying bad fuel to start with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy from a busy gas station, that way you have less of a chance buying bad fuel to start with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks everyone, good advise, my sled only drank shell premium last year so that is what I would stock up with

Anyone else thinking about stocking up?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy marked premium by the barrel (my barrel) every winter for my sleds. Never been an issue.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trev...just put water in that pos cat...it'll run.

I put 87 with ethanol. ..91 shell..94 husky with ethanol...and 100ll in 4 glass jars in my south facing shop window for about 120 days over summer. the 87 woyldnt run my lawnmower...the 94 woukd but it was a little rough..no issues on 91 or 100ll. both the ethanol jars were visibly seperated. id have no nmproblem leaving 100 or 91 for 3-4 m9ntjs in a sealed drum

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trev...just put water in that pos cat...it'll run.

I put 87 with ethanol. ..91 shell..94 husky with ethanol...and 100ll in 4 glass jars in my south facing shop window for about 120 days over summer. the 87 woyldnt run my lawnmower...the 94 woukd but it was a little rough..no issues on 91 or 100ll. both the ethanol jars were visibly seperated. id have no nmproblem leaving 100 or 91 for 3-4 m9ntjs in a sealed drum

Thanks for the info Geoff. Most kitty's run best on milk, mine really likes beer....

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the price of premium hovering around a buck, Ive been thinking about filling my fuel barrel for the winter, but I'm on the fence because I'm not sure how pump gas holds up once it has been pumped... it would be going into a sealed drum,but does it hold up like leaded fuel?

Premium is still leaded fuel is it not?
Premium is also not supposed to contain any methanol from shell?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I buy 8 jerry cans of premium at a time from Costco (no ethanol) and it is around $1.09 or less. Considerably cheaper than the marked premium in BC. Never a problem even in the plastic jugs but saying that, I don't let it sit for long.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy 8 jerry cans of premium at a time from Costco (no ethanol) and it is around $1.09 or less. Considerably cheaper than the marked premium in BC. Never a problem even in the plastic jugs but saying that, I don't let it sit for long.

Where the heck are the border police?? lol
Between USA and Alberta sales ?
BC is going to have to up the tax again?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's cuz the stations in BC that have marked fuel rip us off on it. I buy it from the Shell bulk plant at a very substantial savings.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's cuz the stations in BC that have marked fuel rip us off on it. I buy it direct from the Shell bulk plant at a very substantial savings.

Edit: How the heck did I get that here twice????? :confused:

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I just bought about 1000L from Costco on the weekend. I'll add a couple of stabilizer/treatments to each tank and hope for the best. At 1.06 for premium, I figured couldn't go wrong.

Top Bottom