Pump Gas Turbo - Intercooled or Not?

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I actually know of a few guys with a silber kit and a MTNTK kit that have climbed the boulders shouts!! Surprising.... i know!! As Chriso stated there are other extra benefits to having the extra cooling as it keeps your engine temps down on the trail AND has lower intake temps. Some people arent looking for a bunch of extra wiring, extra water pumps, a controller that always needs tuning. Ive said this before, most people are looking for a kit that is in the 200hp range runs strong and dosent require any tuning. Not everyone with a turbo sits on boulder having a dick measuring contest!! Theres benefits to both sides of intercooled and nonintercooled. Just need to pick the one that works for your application and riding style. If climbing shouts on boulder is what sledding is too you then give neil a call. He will set you up with a kit that comes with a dick measuring tape. Its actually really cool, after you climb a shout in boulder a compartment pops open, (dont worry, its intercooled as well) and there's a measuring tape in there to measure and see how you compare to everyone else! Cant put a price on that. Well, you can... the most expensive kit out there.

Last edited:

gmustangt

Reaction score
Does said measuring device produce lower than average readings being its intercooled?

I actually know of a few guys with a silber kit and a MTNTK kit that have climbed the boulders shouts!! Surprising.... i know!! As Chriso stated there are other extra benefits to having the extra cooling as it keeps your engine temps down on the trail AND has lower intake temps. Some people arent looking for a bunch of extra wiring, extra water pumps, a controller that always needs tuning. Ive said this before, most people are looking for a kit that is in the 200hp range runs strong and dosent require any tuning. Not everyone with a turbo sits on boulder having a dick measuring contest!! Theres benefits to both sides of intercooled and nonintercooled. Just need to pick the one that works for your application and riding style. If climbing shouts on boulder is what sledding is too you then give neil a call. He will set you up with a kit that comes with a dick measuring tape. Its actually really cool, after you climb a shout in boulder a compartment pops open, (dont worry, its intercooled as well) and there's a measuring tape in there to measure and see how you compare to everyone else! Cant put a price on that. Well, you can... the most expensive kit out there.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Jeez you guys are mean.
just because we have a fuel box that can be adjusted doesn't mean you have to.
We ride 90% in the steep trees and climb chutes a couple times of year. That way we don't have to pack or wear out our dick measuring equipment.

I will ask Chrisco if he wants to get together and compare for all those asking. I'm sure he will have no problem with that.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!

Is the measuring tape made of steel? That cold steel on skin might knock off an inch or two due to the cold shrinkage factor.

Reactions: NM

NM

Reaction score
Is the measuring tape made of steel? That cold steel on skin might knock off an inch or two due to the cold shrinkage factor.
It's more like the foot measuring device we used to use when we went to buy our Nikes back in the early 80s. It's made of wood and has a slide device with a decal of a measuring tape. It's cold for sure but not as much as a person would think.
Im getting near 50 years old so participating in said contest is not as flattering as one would think.

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As stated not everyone wants a race gas chute slaying turbo kit. NM do you make a more economical non intercooled pump gas kit? Silber, Mtntk, and BD Sidekicks are very popular selling kit as you know. I'm not a professional sled mechanic but I know my way around a sled and I installed my MTNTK kit. Quite easy to install. I had a 310 hp 4 stroke a year ago and maybe I'm getting old but it was too much for me. Each to their own.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NM makes a non-intercooled kit also, and I am unsure of why buying american kits is so popular with the dollar in the toilet...Boost-it non-intercooled kit is priced very well and comes with great support, support Canadian in my opinion

Last edited:

NM

Reaction score
As stated not everyone wants a race gas chute slaying turbo kit. NM do you make a more economical non intercooled pump gas kit? Silber, Mtntk, and BD Sidekicks are very popular selling kit as you know. I'm not a professional sled mechanic but I know my way around a sled and I installed my MTNTK kit. Quite easy to install. I had a 310 hp 4 stroke a year ago and maybe I'm getting old but it was too much for me. Each to their own.

As Clode has said, yes we make a non intercooled kit that bolts on in a short day. We get not everyone wants or needs a intercooler.
Just for the record, some people want to climb chutes, and when they do they want something fast. It's nice to have the option. We run 50% race fuel and 6-8 lbs of boost when demanding big power. Probably the same or less boost than you run.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally would never run a non-intercooled, the cool dense air of a w/a makes more HP and the same psi and lowers detonation risks on longer pulls due to climbing charge air temps and these temps due climb, I had a IAT guage on my nytro and the w/a runs so much cooler

Last edited:

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh my bad sorry. Next time I am looking at buying a turbo kit I will consider boost-it. I got a pretty good deal on my mtntk kit but it was not new. Used for 1 season. Ive had great support from Chrisco even though I didn't buy the kit from him. The American kits price looks good when you look at it until you figure out the exchange rate.

Reactions: NM

NM

Reaction score
Oh my bad sorry. Next time I am looking at buying a turbo kit I will consider boost-it. I got a pretty good deal on my mtntk kit but it was not new. Used for 1 season. Ive had great support from Chrisco even though I didn't buy the kit from him. The American kits price looks good when you look at it until you figure out the exchange rate.

Yes I agree that it is easy to be drawn in to the US prices. We are more than competitive on pricing, and you can buy and deal directly with the manufacturer.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

😂😂😂 post is pretty spot on for at least the first half anyway!!

dmax

Reaction score
Dammit I hate these pissing matches...it makes it hard for someone to determine what kit they'd like to go with! :rant:

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thong that really turns me off the boost-it kit is that they prefere to do all their own installs and dont really have a good set of directions for guys that want to do their own install! I get being a smaller company they wqnt to do some quality controle and alot of guys thing cuz they buy a mastercraft kit they can wrench on a sled ive fixed lots of **** ups from guys that have no clue but at the same time for someone like my self that is a tech by trade i dont let somone else touch my stuff very often cuz ive seen what comes out of alot of shops not saying Neils guys are bad but i know on my own stuff i have the time to go the extra mile and extra details make a big difference sometimes!

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Different intercoolers have different pressure drops too depending on the design.

My understanding when running boost at under 8lbs you really don't need an intercooler cause if you put one on the turbo has to push harder through the intercooler and you get more heat of compression......

End up sending hotter air to the intercooler and it is only so efficient so you may end up with a similar discharge temp in the end.

Thoughts to ponder anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With an incorrectly sized turbo maybe but most all 800 cc kits are rumming same size turbos look at the no ontrrcooled kits like red line and silber at 8psi they require Av gas where a W2A kit like mtntk or boost it or BD can run pump gas to somewhre in the 8 or 8 psi area depending on elevation .....on the other hand the air ro air intercoolers likr in my older boondocker setup your not travelling fast enough on a sled in alot of situations to have the air flow for air ro air my old BD we called it an air intake heater because your right skegpro it didnt help one bit the charge air temps were deff lower with out the air to air

Top Bottom