Pump Gas Turbo - Intercooled or Not?

piston_broke

Reaction score
Just interested to find out from the guys that are running the low boost kits wether they went with an intercooler or not. I have the sidekick without an intercooler and wouldn't mind some feedback on this set up from guys that are running something similar. I'm not doing really long pulls all the time but sometimes the situation calls for it and I'd like to know how worried I need to be about charge temps.

Last edited:

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just interested to find out from the guys that are running the low boost kits wether they went with an intercooler or not. I have the sidekick without an intercooler and wouldn't mind some feedback on this set up from guys that are running something similar. I'm not doing really long pulls all the time but sometimes the situation calls for it and I'd like to know how worried I need to be about charge temps.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you were running higher boost #'s then yes. But since its a pump gas turbo its a lower boost kit. So you should be fine.

piston_broke

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm still concerned about the deep days when you would normally have it to the bar for extended periods of time. First time with a turbo so I really don't know what to expect.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm still concerned about the deep days when you would normally have it to the bar for extended periods of time. First time with a turbo so I really don't know what to expect.

Its all about the boost pressure. The more compression, the hotter the intake air. But if you stay at something like 6 or something you should be fine. Just like the older diesels, a lot of them didn't have any intercoolers, after coolers, whatever you want to call them. But the more intake pressure, the more heat, the better chance of detonation.

562xp

Reaction score
8 psi is about the max you want to run without an intercooler. Above 8 your charge temps will be hot enough to start damaging the reeds.

piston_broke

Reaction score
Do your charge temps continue to climb the longer you have the throttle opened up regardless of your boost pressure?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Charge Temps should remain around the same regardless of pull length. You're pulling air in and compressing it. Unless the intake is heating up from engine heat. Monitor your intake air Temps. Run a bit of race gas to protect against detonation. Detonation is caused by too much cylinder pressure and the mixture starts popping off before the flame front. Higher octane resists detonation.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ran up to 12 psi on a non intercooled turbo setup without any issues. I just ran straight av gas. I run 8 psi on my new intercooled setup, with 50/50 mix. I can definitely notice the difference in kits though. The intercooled one runs much more crisp and the throttle response is better.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you guys reduce the timing 1 degree for every lbs of boost?

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ran up to 12 psi on a non intercooled turbo setup without any issues. I just ran straight av gas. I run 8 psi on my new intercooled setup, with 50/50 mix. I can definitely notice the difference in kits though. The intercooled one runs much more crisp and the throttle response is better.

We're these different brands of kits or did you upgrade your non intercooled to a intercooled kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Piston broke, my understanding is if you have 6lbs boost you should be able to keep it at handle bars for long time....lol

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an intercooled BD kit befire and was only running 8psi we got rid of the intercooler and it worked considerably better felet like it had better throttle response and deffently clearner and lower IAT's ......before removing it i drilled holes infort of it and used frog skins but in the trees your hardly moving enough to get air flow and playing in open bowls it still felt better with out the CAC .......alot of setups have gone to water to air because of this but that adds weight and extra stuff to go wrong seen a boos-it cat blow a coolant line under the cluch last year was for the w2a cooler and was a mess .......if you look the the air flow of a typical 2860 turbo and do the math on a typical intercooler used their borderline if its even effieient enough because of size used and some of the w2a are the same unless your pulling chutes all tue time in my expierence ive had 2 setups with no cooler and both were really good

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sold the non intercooled turbo and went to the boost-it water to air kit on my next sled. I understand there's numbers out there to support the theory of not needing an intercooler, but when the sled hits the snow there is no doubt a huge difference, gain in hp, throttle response, and intake temps even on small pulls.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After seeing 2 boost it kits in action they were not impressive at all deffently didnt make any gains over your typical 2860 air to air or non intercooled kits and their tining was ****ing horrible

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can speak for the MTNTK kit. The water to air on the new AXYS does work better in my opinion. The MTNTK kit has the coolant running through the stock cooler and then it runs through the new 5 foot tunnel cooler then to the air box then to the engine. Now this set up is great if you ride a polaris because you cannot over heat the sled..... ever.... On the long pulls way less heat soak and just works over all better. I am comparing 9 to 10 pounds boost on the none water to the new water setup. The none water kit is perfect on pump gas at 6 to 7 pounds all day long with no issues. It was apparent when riding last spring going into keyhole, the trail was whooped and hard as rock. I was with 4 other turbo sleds and a couple stock ones and they all had to stop about 10 times going up hitting 190 to 215 my sled never got over 140. Finely i just said ****it and just met them at the top lol. So with this system you do have that benefit over the stand alone water to air kits with there own water pump.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
This is when a closed loop water to air intercooler pays off. This is 7-8 lbs of boost and some of the biggest chutes in Monster bowl and lower bullpen. All of our 2 strokes make about the same speed at equal boost.
You will never see a MTNTK kit or Silber kit making pulls like these.
https://youtu.be/qBCWA3YXKFY

https://youtu.be/e_tu0ylb8t4

Last edited:

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id like to see the boot it kit on the same boost and fuel as the mtntk both with w2a .The bw efr is a way better turbo cant see their being much difference when compairing simular setups the garett turbos are ok but in the turbo world there nothing spictacular. The internal wg garette is nothing at all to write home about talk to someone in the automotive world about a internal gate garette and they will just laugh at you the only internal gate turbos that get any respect at all is an efr

Last edited:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id like to see the boot it kit on the same boost and fule as the mtntk both w2a the bw efr is a way better turbo cant see their being much difference when compairing simular setups the garett turbos are ok but in the tirbo world their nothing spictacular and an internal wg garette is nothing at all to write home about talk to someone in the automotive wild about a internal gate garette and they will just laugh at you the only internal gate turbos that get any respect at all is an efr

Jeeeesh man, your posts are extremely difficult to read.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id like to see the boot it kit on the same boost and fule as the mtntk both w2a the bw efr is a way better turbo cant see their being much difference when compairing simular setups the garett turbos are ok but in the tirbo world their nothing spictacular and an internal wg garette is nothing at all to write home about talk to someone in the automotive wild about a internal gate garette and they will just laugh at you the only internal gate turbos that get any respect at all is an efr

Ya that hurt my brain a little trying to read your post. haha. Proof read or spell check and use a period after sentences....... It will make others understand what you are trying to say. But yes I would also see a side by side comparison with MTNTK and Boost-it. Both with water to air intercoolers.

Top Bottom