Protective Fabric

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tired of the usual boring options for snowpants, I decided to try some Burton Snowpants this year as part of my sledding fashion. I loved the obnoxious pattern and loose styling of the pant I chose. On colder days, I will still wear my Klim pants, but for more temperate conditions and spring riding, I am going with something a little more fun. However, I am all too aware that most snowpants for boarding or skiing applications don't hold up long to the rigors of snowmobiling. One of the biggest problems occurs when the inside bottom of the pant rips on the spiky/sharp boards of the sled. I thought I would circumvent this problem by having a seamstress sew some reinforced material on the inside of pant-- the kind they put on the inside of motorcross pants to protect them from heat/wear and tear. If I found a good fabric, I would also reinforce the knees- the patches will only make the pants have more character!!

I just don't know what type of fabric I need to buy. I only need about 1/2 meter of this stuff... Is it Kevlar? Nomex? Waterproof Goretex? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

HELP!! :beer:

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My HMK coat uses Cordura fabric.

The cordura looks like the regular fabric that most of the coat is made from, but what are the reinforced patches on motorcross pants (usually the bottom inside of the leg, sometimes the thigh and sometimes the butt) and some snowpants made from? Or is there a heavier type of Cordura weave for those areas?? I see some are leather-- that's not what I'm looking for.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup... I see the different strengths and what they are rated for: abrasion, wear resistance, anti-tear etc.!

Now I just have to find some :)

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a pair that are made of Kevlar, used in motorcycle gear police and army use it as well

nany2208

Reaction score
I am going with something a little more fun. However, I am all too aware that most snowpants for boarding or skiing applications don't hold up long to the rigors of snowmobiling.

Last edited by a moderator:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing you can sew into snowpants is the stuff they make Depends out of. It may not be all that durable, but think of the time you could save by not having to stop all the time.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing you can sew into snowpants is the stuff they make Depends out of. It may not be all that durable, but think of the time you could save by not having to stop all the time.

Hey, Pam said you just replenished your Depends supply for the next month and that I could just hit you up for some to try until I make up my mind. Your wife is such a sweetheart ;p

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Burton pants that I wear in the Spring. They aren't able to keep me warm or dry enough on winter rides. :( LOVE the fit and they are way more stylin' than the sled pants, but just not waterproof or windproof enough...the ones I have anyways. I got the highest rating for water 'resistance'...but once they have snow on them too long, bye bye resistance. The durability otherwise hasn't been bad though...but they only come out a few times a year too.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some companies will actually already do this from factory
686 is one that does - I used to wear all board gear before i bought my HMK gambler gear
those pants lasted me 3 seasons w no tears and they fit awesome: removable liner, 20k waterproof/breathability..they were basically BOMB proof

no offence to anyone who wears KLIM stuff, but i just cant
feels like im wearing cardboard and its not comfy at all to me
I used to compete snowboarding (freestyle competitions) and rode backcountry "freeriding" as well, and IMO snowboard compaies are LIGHT YEARS ahead of any sled gear company
there are some good stuff out there, LIKE the HMK Gambler gear, as its 15k waterproof/breathability and is super light and comfy

i think your on to something great re-enforcing the inner legs of the pants
dont think id worry to much about the knees tho, i have never wore them out on any pant

i actually have thought about getting some board gear again this year, as my jacket is black and pants are a tan color w plaid print
i like LOUD stuff ! ;)
but its still in awesome shape and it wasnt cheap.....so i might use it another season

Last edited:
Top Bottom