Proper anti-freeze for a sled and what ratio to use

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
prestone for aluminum mixed no less than 60/40, 50/50 is only good for -35 just think how cold your sled gets on a open trailer or deck at 100 klms at -30 out

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
prestone for aluminum mixed no less than 60/40, 50/50 is only good for -35 just think how cold your sled gets on a open trailer or deck at 100 klms at -30 out

I've been corrected on this before. Apparently wind has no effect on the actual temperature of an object.....or something like that lol

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the same as you would in your new vehicles, ensure it is aluminum compatible. Your sled sees no colder temps than your vehicle.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i am not mistaken, distilled water is best to mix with as it is less corossive on aluminum and provides better heat disapation. also if you got the system drained add a cooling additive to help with heat.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a rhino and it tended to overheat, so i put some extreme sport antifreeze in it and then some of this. The inside council is way cooler now..so i think it works. AMSOIL Dominator® Coolant Boost But i think evans is even better.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it seems like evans collant, engine ice and preston low tox all contain propylen glycol . So i am thinking extreme sport with some amsoil dominator will have your engine running cooler... interesting thing is propylen glycol is in extreme sport along with a few other things. Evans claims you cant mix propylen with water well prestone found a way to.

Last edited:

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
well out here in Langley B.C. the john deere Cool Gaurd 2 found it for pre-mix a 4L cost is $40 before tax . Team Dirt I watched that Video about evans and Liked it but Again international motorsports out here SUCKS so I would have to go to the POO dealer to buy some well order it in . I just dont need a head ache one the first day out with my wife on her cat Well fixing it or whatever but it will happen . Just want to stay away from over heating equipment

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to the auto store and get some test strips for the pH of your coolant. Most coolants now are good to about 8.3, pure coolant is about 10, and a 50/50 mix with tap water (pH of 7) nets about a 8.75 pH (its a logarithmic scale for pH so its not linear if you just mix 50/50) but standard is about 8 pH for most coolants before they start losing effectiveness. If it drops below about an 8 IMO you are starting to lose the efficiency of the coolant and this acidity will also cause the corrosion and build up you see in older cooling systems. Using distilled/de-ionized water won't help as the DI water picks up CO2 from the atmosphere and forms carbonic acid which makes it more acidic anyway, so not much help. Wasn't a big issue when blocks were made out of solid iron decades ago.

Buy some $10 strips, test your coolant yearly and change as required once the pH drops. If you are having overheating issues with coolant on a snowmobile that is being driven on a blanket of cold white snow in a cold atmosphere, changing the coolant or adding "Water Wetter" or some other products are only a band aid and won't solve the real issue of why your sled is running above operating temp. Check the t-stat, check the rad cap, add more cooling capacity, putting your snow flap back on, or getting scratchers to get the snow where it needs to be (against your cooler), is really the only solution.

Coolant-enhancing products work but are designed for inadequate cooling or "hot" cooling systems (i.e. a hot car on a sweltering summer day) to primarily reduce the surface tension of coolant IMO. These products do work (not saying they don't) as independant tests show, but again, aren't intended for sleds where you should have more cooling than wanted....really.

Last edited:

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
Thanks Modman didn't think about that My wifes sled doe's not over heat I just want to change the old fluid out with some good stuff .

Top Bottom