Professional drivers

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. Lots of people seeing the same things as I did. Sure glad my dually got me home. By the way I'm running good year territory's with studs and they are awesome. They are Rough as hell but they hook up. If if wasn't snowing so hard And I had vis I could confidently have done 120 with my set up.
confident to drive 120 when surrounded by traffic and poor road conditions sounds like poor judgement to me.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I took my class 1 back in 08, the pretrip was the hardest part of the whole test. The driving part was only about 10 minutes at the most. I'm not sure if that was a normal test, or not, but seemed way too short IMO.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
confident to drive 120 when surrounded by traffic and poor road conditions sounds like poor judgement to me.

But he's got a big bush bumper that will slice open/crush any soccer mom's suv/car/mini van that slides into his way.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem I see is alot of "new" Canadians behind the wheel of big rigs. Perhaps this snow and ice is a new phenomen they have no experience with?

While stuck on the highway near Field, BC in a lineup waiting for a 3-semi, 4 car wreck to be cleared, we were listening to the CB. Well lemme tell you, there were quite a few drivers on there giving their free opinions on "new Canadian drivers". Most of it I can't post in a public forum, but we were roaring in tears listening to these guys. One notable quote from an anonymous trucker:

"Was that one of them drivers with the airbag in the steering wheel or on his head?" :alol2:

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
881 is can be a real challenge if your not paying attention. The shoulders are narrow, there are only 2 small pullouts between Heart Lake Truck stop and Conklin, plus once you hit where the House River fire went through,the wind polishes the road pretty quick. Yes, theres lots of idiot drivers on it, but once you're between Conklin and Heart Lake , you're pretty much committed. In my opinion, it would have been cheaper to twin 881 ( less skeg, fewer bridges) than 61. With all the SAGD on the books, its going to be as busy if not busier than Fort Mac.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this previously on another thread but last feb going to Golden I watched a CN Intermodal truck bounce off the guard rails (covered in snow) about 3 times before putting the truck and trailer on its side. That was on a straight stretch outside of Revi. I went to see how the drive was and all I seen were two huge white eyeballs scared crapless. I helped him out from passenger door but trying to have a conversation with him was nearly impossible. Could not speak a whole lot of English. I always wonder how he got his license not being able to speak the language.

While stuck on the highway near Field, BC in a lineup waiting for a 3-semi, 4 car wreck to be cleared, we were listening to the CB. Well lemme tell you, there were quite a few drivers on there giving their free opinions on "new Canadian drivers". Most of it I can't post in a public forum, but we were roaring in tears listening to these guys. One notable quote from an anonymous trucker:

"Was that one of them drivers with the airbag in the steering wheel or on his head?" :alol2:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chip wagons are a blast. Especially when they're empty and it's windy and icy.

I'm not sure what motivates some to have to run on roads like that, I been there too many times to try that ch!t. Freezing rain sucks, I'll run thru a foot of snow on the highway and it doesn't bother me but driving on a wet skating rink is just retarded.

this was tuesday morning south of Keg River, I parked at Paddle Prairie when my steering became less than responsive. Could have chained up, but man, unless it's a dire situation I ain't gonna destroy a set of chains.

It seems to always be these guys in the ditch....
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa123/teeroyfte/2013-01-15_10-27-00_665.jpg

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I left macmurray at 2 am and just got home. Hwy 63 was closed so I had to take 881 to lac la biche. The roads were horrible and had deep snow and snowing but with good tires and 6 driving lights I was able to do 90 km safely. There must have been 30-40 rigs in the ditch. And only 7. 1/2 ton or 1 ton trucks. That tells me the truckers are either driving to fast or can't drive. I meet about 100 vehicles in that 275 km stretch 2/3 were pickups. Men or women who drive rigs are supposed to be professionals and either drive to the road conditions or wait and drive later. Meeting them on a two lane tonight was scary that's for sure. I don't remember ever seeing so many truckers in trouble. One of them may have even been pork chop from IRT. Is it easier to get a class one these days or are the roads full of inexperienced heavy haulers??

It's because all of the inexperienced guys can't get a job driving truck in BC so they start out in Alberta where most places will hire you if you have a license and a heartbeat.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's because all of the inexperienced guys can't get a job driving truck in BC so they start out in Alberta where most places will hire you if you have a license and a heartbeat.

yeah we train all your BC drivers and thats why you never see trucks in the ditch in BC because they go backto BC as Professional truck drives ;)

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chip wagons are a blast. Especially when they're empty and it's windy and icy.
I have a few buds in BC that run the chip haul, the ones we have here in AB driving them are not the same kind of men. it is a starter job in the industry here, and it's painfully obvious. these guys couldn't drive a sharp stick up a donkey's ass

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well drove to drayton valley yesturday mid morning and there were 11 vehicals in the ditch between spruce and white court turn off cars, trucks, minivan company trucks thats like in 15 min drive krazy .......

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a few buds in BC that run the chip haul, the ones we have here in AB driving them are not the same kind of men. it is a starter job in the industry here, and it's painfully obvious. these guys couldn't drive a sharp stick up a donkey's ass
Around here chip truck driver is a starter job as well. Lowest paying local driving job = lowest quality drivers.

Long haul drivers, well, thats where you get most of your "new canadians".

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just as important as a Vac truck driver on a rig BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA ouch
I don't think it's that terrible of a job, a guy can make a boatload of cash chasin' rigs all winter. cheap room and board, all the hours you can stand....

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's that terrible of a job, a guy can make a boatload of cash chasin' rigs all winter. cheap room and board, all the hours you can stand....

Id never do it BUT then again I never had to. Good starter job sure you betcha.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem I see is alot of "new" Canadians behind the wheel of big rigs. Perhaps this snow and ice is a new phenomen they have no experience with?

I know!! I didn't want to drive down that icy road!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most truck drivers dont know when to call it quits in shitty weather. ive been driving big trucks for 25+ years. alot of the problem nowadays is the drivers. no experience. dont know what to do in a situation that makes u make a decision quick. ill say that another major problem is the cars and pickups on the road. many of these vehicles have no buisness being on the road especially in these conditions. but have seen it a million times where a 4 wheeler will put a big truck in a bad situation. most class one drivers with any common sense will always be looking kms ahead to see whats going on and going to happen. when some dumb ch!t takes that away from u and does something stupid like pass you like its summer time what options do u have when he fucks up. your options are gone. u try and steer away and ride it out. not saying that all 4 wheeleres are to blame but hey if you ever been on the 2 from calg to edmonton u know what im saying. also road conditions like crown in the road do make it hard to drive a semi. alot more axles to get thrown around. i will be the first to say that there are some real a-hole truck drivers out there that are either way to cocky to be behind the wheel, or just to stupid. same said for 4 wheelers. it used to be a profesion to have a class one job. now its just another job. also one other observation is u see alot of trucks in the ditch well take a look at the amount of trucks on the road. truck traffic has increased probably 60 percent or more in the last 10 years so the incidents that the public sees is going to increase. maybe evryone that gets their class 5 liscense should have to sit in a day course for class one training to see what it takes to drive a bigrig on the roads today. a little glimpse for the 4 wheelers into the day of driving a bigrig mixed in with a bunch of car drivers that have no view of anything farther than their cell phones keypads and volume buttons on the stereo. of course all just my opinion.

Very true, well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom