Professional drivers

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I left macmurray at 2 am and just got home. Hwy 63 was closed so I had to take 881 to lac la biche. The roads were horrible and had deep snow and snowing but with good tires and 6 driving lights I was able to do 90 km safely. There must have been 30-40 rigs in the ditch. And only 7. 1/2 ton or 1 ton trucks. That tells me the truckers are either driving to fast or can't drive. I meet about 100 vehicles in that 275 km stretch 2/3 were pickups. Men or women who drive rigs are supposed to be professionals and either drive to the road conditions or wait and drive later. Meeting them on a two lane tonight was scary that's for sure. I don't remember ever seeing so many truckers in trouble. One of them may have even been pork chop from IRT. Is it easier to get a class one these days or are the roads full of inexperienced heavy haulers??

Last edited:

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It isn't super easy to get it but I swear soccer moms keep their speeding minivans on the roads more often. I believe it is just over confidence with the size of the rig. They think they are unstoppable

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's an oddity that I've never seen before. I don't know that highway. Is it possible the highway has a high crown or groves in the pavement both of those make it hard to keep a truck on the road when it's really slick. I heard the road was closed because of freezing rain.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Professional" drivers are drivers just like you and I, just drivers! BUT I can say the majority of class one holders now days are NOT experienced enough to be on their own with SUCH a HUGE piece of machinery on the public highways/roads! imo

I personally think they should make requiring a class one license into an apprenticeship program!!!

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's going on in Alberta, over here in BC big trucks are never in the ditch. Weird.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen the same thing just west of edson a few weeks back there must have been 12+ rigs in the ditch and maybe 2 passenger vehicles. Needless to say put rig move off till afternoon

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with GYMBRAT on this one. I took my class 1 a couple years ago. I've been around trucking alot with my dad always driving truck.
Anyway there were kids in the class that only knew how to drive there automatic box car... thought trucking was COOL so that is why they were there.
They clipped poles & signs when turning in town. Couldnt hit a gear to save themselfs but in the end the instructor was to make sure everyone passed!!!

That is the problem NO ONE FAILS untill its to late & Failure is them running you & me off the road!!!

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been noticing the same thing over the past few years, alot of highway tractors not so much the heavy haulers. Last night nearly was run off the road due to a cattle liner driver dead center down the snow covered yellow line, wasnt just a coincidence, asked my co worker who was minutes behind and same with him. The driver should not be on the road, scared to let my family go to town anymore which is pathetic!

Toro

Reaction score
I don't know what's going on in Alberta, over here in BC big trucks are never in the ditch. Weird.

My last trip to Revy in November made me a witness to a headon crash between an 18wheeler and a 1 ton U Haul (west of Golden on #1) so BC isn't exempt to big truck crashes and it was the big rigs fault crossing the center line. And to be honest it's not an uncommon sight on that stretch of highway.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what motivates some to have to run on roads like that, I been there too many times to try that ch!t. Freezing rain sucks, I'll run thru a foot of snow on the highway and it doesn't bother me but driving on a wet skating rink is just retarded.

this was tuesday morning south of Keg River, I parked at Paddle Prairie when my steering became less than responsive. Could have chained up, but man, unless it's a dire situation I ain't gonna destroy a set of chains.

It seems to always be these guys in the ditch....
2013-01-15_10-27-00_665.jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem I see is there are not enough serviced rest areas to pull over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. Lots of people seeing the same things as I did. Sure glad my dually got me home. By the way I'm running good year territory's with studs and they are awesome. They are Rough as hell but they hook up. If if wasn't snowing so hard And I had vis I could confidently have done 120 with my set up.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most truck drivers dont know when to call it quits in shitty weather. ive been driving big trucks for 25+ years. alot of the problem nowadays is the drivers. no experience. dont know what to do in a situation that makes u make a decision quick. ill say that another major problem is the cars and pickups on the road. many of these vehicles have no buisness being on the road especially in these conditions. but have seen it a million times where a 4 wheeler will put a big truck in a bad situation. most class one drivers with any common sense will always be looking kms ahead to see whats going on and going to happen. when some dumb ch!t takes that away from u and does something stupid like pass you like its summer time what options do u have when he fucks up. your options are gone. u try and steer away and ride it out. not saying that all 4 wheeleres are to blame but hey if you ever been on the 2 from calg to edmonton u know what im saying. also road conditions like crown in the road do make it hard to drive a semi. alot more axles to get thrown around. i will be the first to say that there are some real a-hole truck drivers out there that are either way to cocky to be behind the wheel, or just to stupid. same said for 4 wheelers. it used to be a profesion to have a class one job. now its just another job. also one other observation is u see alot of trucks in the ditch well take a look at the amount of trucks on the road. truck traffic has increased probably 60 percent or more in the last 10 years so the incidents that the public sees is going to increase. maybe evryone that gets their class 5 liscense should have to sit in a day course for class one training to see what it takes to drive a bigrig on the roads today. a little glimpse for the 4 wheelers into the day of driving a bigrig mixed in with a bunch of car drivers that have no view of anything farther than their cell phones keypads and volume buttons on the stereo. of course all just my opinion.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what motivates some to have to run on roads like that, I been there too many times to try that ch!t. Freezing rain sucks, I'll run thru a foot of snow on the highway and it doesn't bother me but driving on a wet skating rink is just retarded.

this was tuesday morning south of Keg River, I parked at Paddle Prairie when my steering became less than responsive. Could have chained up, but man, unless it's a dire situation I ain't gonna destroy a set of chains

I agree 110%, theres NO job worth putting mine or anyones life in jeopardy for PERIOD! Agrued with many a Consultant over this....in the end they respected my decicion, well most did :) Yet id still rather be in the bush driving as always than EVER runnin on the highways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back roads "if theres a choice" FTW

Last edited:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The "professional" truck driver is a dying breed. Men and women who have made a lifetime career out of it are slowly retiring or leaving the business all together because they don't like what they see anymore. I myself have seen the industry change drastically and not necessarily for the better. The new blood emerging from the ranks are disrespectful and selfish. Anybody these days can get a class one, automatic transmissions and disc breaks make the challenge to easy. Wether you can actually drive or not is a different story.

Top Bottom