Pro vs. Cat

pehmanndragon

Reaction score
Had fun my pro (orange one) ran awesome can't wait for some more snow. I did ride the cat and it did handled alot better then the m-series, but I wouldn't trade it for my pro. I can feel that my pro will be just stupid in the pow and on the sidehill, come on snow get here already! I give my props to cat good change on the suspension and running gear, alot better now I have friends with the m's and it feels like your driving a tank, this one don't.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had fun my pro (orange one) ran awesome can't wait for some more snow. I did ride the cat and it did handled alot better then the m-series, but I wouldn't trade it for my pro. I can feel that my pro will be just stupid in the pow and on the sidehill, come on snow get here already! I give my props to cat good change on the suspension and running gear, alot better now I have friends with the m's and it feels like your driving a tank, this one don't.
388030_306929402675165_100000743221038_1016997_168  8231916_n.jpg

Hubby and I have one of each... I made a fun little video. Doesn't really conclude anything, but they are superfun to ride:

4strokin'

Reaction score
X2! it don't matter what ya ride, it's your hard earned $$ down on that new toy and now days they are all silly close it is ridiculous! every brand puts out a great product, just personal preference anymore. let's ride!!!!

pehmanndragon

Reaction score
Now understand that the ride I went on was all road (just because there isn't enough snow to get off the road) but I have to say that the Pro felt that she had more snap then the cat. But my buddy (owner of the cat) said that the dealer told him that there is a chip in the computer that makes it run rich and the timing is retarded until he hits 300 miles then the chip burns off then he gets the full power of the cat. Now I don't quite understand that, has anyone else heard this?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now understand that the ride I went on was all road (just because there isn't enough snow to get off the road) but I have to say that the Pro felt that she had more snap then the cat. But my buddy (owner of the cat) said that the dealer told him that there is a chip in the computer that makes it run rich and the timing is retarded until he hits 300 miles then the chip burns off then he gets the full power of the cat. Now I don't quite understand that, has anyone else heard this?

I dont believe the chip burning off thing but the ECM opens up and allows full potential after 250-300miles or what ever it is.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont believe the chip burning off thing but the ECM opens up and allows full potential after 250-300miles or what ever it is.
Watched a 2012 cat 153 spank a new pro 163 in the deep yesterday. Riders even switched sleds and still the same result. The new cat works awesome

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Its possibly. Polaris has the same thing.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watched a 2012 cat 153 spank a new pro 163 in the deep yesterday. Riders even switched sleds and still the same result. The new cat works awesome

These videos don't show either sled spanking each other, box stock out of the crate. Sleds look real close to each other.

pehmanndragon

Reaction score
O.k. I didn't mean to start a war I think they are both good just depends on what you want to ride they all do good.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now understand that the ride i went on was all road (just because there isn't enough snow to get off the road) but i have to say that the pro felt that she had more snap then the cat. But my buddy (owner of the cat) said that the dealer told him that there is a chip in the computer that makes it run rich and the timing is retarded until he hits 300 miles then the chip burns off then he gets the full power of the cat. Now i don't quite understand that, has anyone else heard this?

as an arctic cat dealer ....i call bu// sh/t...... Only way shes gonna run rich is if you add oil to the tank... Imo ..

Terry

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have heard from a few sources that the cats are running somewhat likt LHFs wedge they have a hard time getting out of the staging area.
heard from a few guys now that they died in less than 50km. j/s

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya...ok...lol theres been some issues no doubt...course no otherbrand has had failures.... i woundnt polaris your leg cause without a running sled you would have to skidoo down the mountain.... they all have issues.... just hope all the bugs are worked out soon..

my christmas wish is that no ones holiday trip is ruined by mechanical failure of any kind regardless of what sled they ride, or vehicle they drive. have a safe and happy christmas and new years.... be safe... ride hard...and come home...:)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the mystical chip burn out is an old story told by thosd who are unimpressed with there new sleds and are expecting a magical 20hp when the chip burns out. its bs for all brandz. your sled isnt going to become a rockstar at 300 miles...sorry
Actually that's not true. I rode a brand new stock 163 pro and a stock 155 pro with 10 hrs on it and the 155 had way more grunt and pulled its proper rpm. Brand new pro would not pull its rpm and it felt lazy. Was told that there is a 4 hr break in on the pros.
I have a vid of me on lightning1000's silber turbo 174 3" pro but it won't upload to snow and mud, said its a invalid file. sled is very fast on only 8lbs of boost, just wanted to share it with everyone.
These new pros are nice sleds felt like it had good power (the 155 pulled hard and felt light),and nimble. With a huge difference in price between a doo etec and a pro, plus the fact that the pro is really mod friendly. I have some thinking to do for my next one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom