Pro and con about xm radio

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The both merged last year, I believe. Have the factory installed XM in an 08 Sante Fe and it is great. Added it to my 07 Ranger through the aux jack and it is great also. Tried it in my 05 King Ranch through the FM modulator and it is terrible for reception. Now I have to find an aux jack for the old one. I could not be without it, now.

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
Sirius bought XM. Its one company now. Sirius is the parent company, XM still has its brodcasts & channels, but they have both picked their best channels. I personally liked Sirius as it was, it seems watered down with the addition of XM's brodcasting style & merging in DJ's. Sirius did sideline some of their annoying DJ's with XM's better guys. For example Octaine 20 dropped Jason Ellis & AD (or some named guy, whom I couldn't stand) and replaced them with Grant & someguy from XM. Kayla stayed where she was & Covino moved to mornings. Its not too bad. MAXXIM radio was downsized & is on with cosmo or sumjunk. The comedy channels merged & were watered down with other dudes from XM, when we used to hear Artie Lang every day, now its only friday nights. Howard Stern was mostly untouched. I dont even listen to regular radio anymore! Sirius markets their own recievers where XM sources thers out. ie Pioneer. Ford includes Sirius with their vehicals where GM & Chev deals with XM equipment. I like Sirius the best, we have both, as my wife wanted a hands free unit made by pioneer & she drives a GM car. We find that the XM has more dead spots than Sirius while driving. I hope this helps a bit, others will testify to the other, but in the end, it's your choice! LOL!

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both the same.......

siriusxm.com

XM & Sirius merged in the states but in Canada XM radio is an independant canadian owned company. In Canada, XM & Sirius are two separate company's and will continue to operate that way for now.

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
Maybe, is the brodcast any different? I have an American account, when they first came on the market, I had a buddy smuggle me up a unit & used the address on the box to set up an account. It has never been changed to Canadian. Maybe there is a difference in that programming.

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
XM & Sirius merged in the states but in Canada XM radio is an independant canadian owned company. In Canada, XM & Sirius are two separate company's and will continue to operate that way for now.
so....... why does my sirius reciever have the XM stations and do all the siuius-xm crap?

I have 2 US subscriptions from years ago, and they are exactly the same as the Canadian one that I activated in December in the new truck.....

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My GMC truck came with XM installed. When I heard teh news of the merger, I called XM because my subscription was coming to an end and they told me that nothing has changed in Canada. If you go onto XM's website (I just did) and they state that for the forseeable future, XM canada stays as XM radio and is not merging with Sirius. For those of you who have a US account, you may have differnt rules that apply - call your subscriber to find out.

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
ya SICK, lol!
Hey, does anyone have dificulty adding songs & groups into your auto memo memory. After the merger, I couldn't add any NEW songs into the auto alerts function. This is my third unit. The first one I had brought up from the States was as big as a licence plate, it was fine for 3 or 4 years, then it stopped using my drivers side speakers, then I bought a new sportster, had it for a few years, overheated & died. Now I have a new one again, but can't add songs ect into the auto alert funtion anymore. I paid for a lifetime membership (has WAY paid for itself by now IMO), they just add the new unit on when ever the current one cooks itself (very easy to do with a phone call), but I'm thinking this one might be on its way out... if anyone else can else add thier favorite songs and I can't.

Last edited:

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Xm in canada is seperate from sirius. Although they have add some surius channels. I hated my xm before the U.S merger, but now they have much better channels like octane, faction, and so on. I wish we could get howard on canadian xm like you can in the states. I do find that XM has terrible reception, go by a tall building or hill and lose signal. Ellis rules, red dragons!!!!

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
i understand the difference now...... XM in canada is still the same with a few added in channels.... Sirius in canada did the full conversion.

The only XM I ever owned was when I bought my 08 chev and I ripped out the reciever and installed a sirius module.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both, US subscription of Sirius which i got years a go, and a XM in my work truck. I like the Sirius because it has Howard Stern. The XM in my 2009 GMC find that I lose signal lots when i go next to tall trees or buildings. The only time i lost signal with the sirius is when a drive in the shop.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone that I have talked to says the same as me... If you have listened to Sirius before, you will never go back to XM. Sirius is much better.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both, US subscription of Sirius which i got years a go, and a XM in my work truck. I like the Sirius because it has Howard Stern. The XM in my 2009 GMC find that I lose signal lots when i go next to tall trees or buildings. The only time i lost signal with the sirius is when a drive in the shop.

Have the exact same thing happen with mine too, my sirius never skipps a beat

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I think the reason it cuts out so bad (my truck is the same way) is that the XM antenna goes through the onstar antenna. If you look at the roof of a dodge truck it has black antenna at the back for sirus, I guess G.M. thought they could save some more money.HA

Top Bottom