Prince George...?????

MEVV

Reaction score
Thinking of making a move from the down here on the Coast to Prince George for a job. I have driven thru but dont know the area. Does anyone have ant thoughts to share.....?!

finndoo

Reaction score
If you love the big city you will not like it here. IF you want to live in a place where you can get to work in 15-20 minutes from anywhere in city limits, only have to wait a red lights for a short while, have winter from dec.-march, and still be only a 1 hour flight away from CFL or NHL games then P.G. is not too bad. There is tons of ATV'ing snowmobiling and fishing at your door step. I still shop at Costco, drink Timmies coffee,go shopping on Sundays and have no trouble with getting parts on overnight freight from the lowermainland. The cost of living here is reasonable, but the air quality downtown can be poor at times so get a place just out of the "Bowl Area" as we call it. If you are willing to go two hours out of town for sledding there are some great areas in McBride and the Pine Pass. I like it here, but it is not for everyone.

coastie

Reaction score
I grew up & lived in the lower mainland for years before moving up here. I like PG; it has everything a city has, there's a reasonable selection of jobs out there...probably better if you're a professional or have a trade behind you. I like the winters...I never felt very 'Canadian' living in Vancouver. I'm more of a hiker/skier than motorized rec but there is lots of both to do, relatively easy access and you're not stepping on 10,000 other people's toes everytime you go out.

Downsides; the pulp smell...just don't live right downtown, I've heard people say it's a bit of a 'blue collar' kind of town but I like that. It's a lot less pretentious than many places, very much live and let live I think. Compared to the cities in BC, Kamloops, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria etc. I think PG compares very favourably and is a bit of an overlooked gem in my humble opinion.

CTWilly

Reaction score
If your in to outdoor activities you will like it here. Lots of quadding, sledding, fishing, hunting etc. If your in to the nightlife well you wont like it. There is everything you need here as in resteraunts, just not much for bars and no tittie bar. Lots of loser gangbangers which is most likely why P.G. is number one in Canada for crime rates.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I moved here 15 years ago from Vancouver and I agree if you like the outdoors it is a GREAT place to live. 1 hour from town is some of the best sledding and quading areas.The people are friendly, ya we have gangs but tell me where doesn't. Our air quality is not great from the pulp mills but you can get to work in 10-15 minutes from anywhere in the city. We have Powder King 1 1/2 hours away. 20 minutes to Tabour ski hill and 1 hour to Purden ski hill with tons of DRY powder. It doesn't rain every day !!!! I wquld never go back to the coast. Just my .2

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, the lowerrainland is a great place to be from:d
I came here 30 yrs ago. Lots of everything outdoors year round and really close.

Who are you coming to work for?

MEVV

Reaction score
Wow guys thanx for the input. I've heard lots about the crime rate there but we're coming from the Abbotsford area so its no different. We would be hoping to move to a more rural area, is there bad vs good.

finndoo

Reaction score
Get a place with a few acres just out of town, get a big dog, get an alarm, and do not advertise your toys unnecessarily.I think a good place in a rural area would only be about a 20 min drive to get right in to town, some areas are better than others so ask a few questions about specific areas before you lay down cash for a place. My toys come off the truck and into alarmed and locked storage as soon as I get home, and I never load up the night before. Both of my brothers live in Surrey and Ladner and they have had more trouble with vandalism or theft than I have so I dunno what to say about the crime rate. Bring your sled and gas money the snow is getting better.:d

WhiteDragon

Reaction score
I did some riding in Prince George this past Saturday. Trails are well signed, but marginal snow depth. No grooming yet.
Worth riding, and I would go back.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have some pretty awesome riding around PG, if you want to do mountains they are only an hour and a half from town, and we have lots of trail riding that is maintained by both the PGSC and West Lake C.A. This year, we have had to go elsewhere so far to find good snow, and it's still marginal at best. I'm doing my snow dance as we speak!!:snow::snow::snow::snow:

Top Bottom