Pressing On New Drivers.

croweman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought some new extro 8 tooth drivers to put on my 04 summit and was wondering how much of a deal it is to do. I was told it is a big job to get done correctly. What are some pointers?

T

TracksCanada

I just bought some new extro 8 tooth drivers to put on my 04 summit and was wondering how much of a deal it is to do. I was told it is a big job to get done correctly. What are some pointers?

I'm feeling the loss of love here. "You said you'd call" LOL

Call me and I'll explain the easy way to do it.

Curt

SNAFU

Reaction score
It is really easy if you have a press. I bought one at Princess Auto for $100 on sale and have done about 4 sets. You just have to measure the distance from one end of the drive axle to where the center of the track windows are. It is easiest if you lay the axle with old drivers on the inside the track on the garage floor. Measure from the end of the axle to the center of the track windows. Press the old drivers off. Then press the new drivers on one at a time until the measurement from the end of the extrovert driver center lug to the end of the axle matches the measurements you took earlier. I use a square for this. Some drivers need to be indexed. Sometimes there is a mark or dot on one of the driver teeth. Make sure that the marks on both drivers are indexed to the same side of your hex drive shaft. Just take your time and think about what you are doing.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some pointers in addition to comments made above.

1) measure the distance from the tunnel on both sides of the track BEFORE you remove it.
2) remove shaft and measure the distance from the end of the shaft to the center of the existing driver BEFORE you remove them
3) Measure the center to center of the drivers
4) when you are pressing them on, make absolutely sure you support underneath the driver on the shaft "leg" (part with the metal collars that the shaft goes through), not just on the driver itself. The driver will flex and bend if you do not support underneath where the shaft comes out.
5) install new drivers to the same specs as the ones you took off

Top Bottom