Preferred Engine Oil

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I personally have alway's been a firm believer in Factory oils. There is a few good aftermarket oils/lubricants that are recommended. But for those who just have stock machines, or even some aftermarket goodies. I would spent the money and buy Factory. After all, it is made for that Brand name. IMO

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally have alway's been a firm believer in Factory oils. There is a few good aftermarket oils/lubricants that are recommended. But for those who just have stock machines, or even some aftermarket goodies. I would spent the money and buy Factory. After all, it is made for that Brand name. IMO

I was on the phone with Kelsey from RK TEK the other day and he said to run mineral oil, not the synthetic, As it isn't required for a two stroke engine. Said it could also be the cause/contributor ton cylinder glazing?

mrsummit700

Reaction score
I was on the phone with Kelsey from RK TEK the other day and he said to run mineral oil, not the synthetic, As it isn't required for a two stroke engine. Said it could also be the cause/contributor ton cylinder glazing?

I've been reading up on mineral oil and it seems that everyone is saying something different ... Some say run mineral oil 200 or kms on a break in... then switch back to a good synthetic.
Did Kelsey suggest how long to run the mineral oil in the machine ?
Can a person just switch over from synthetic to mineral oil or is a varsol bath needed for any parts that were in contact with the synthetic oil?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a good quality mineral oil will work fine, what does Skidoo recommend, if you want to change oils, run the tank low or drain if you prefer, you can then fill tank with the oil of your choice. you do not need to flush the tank unless you have a pressing need to. most of the sled manufactures are now using synthetic oil after break in period. i have used amsoil oil for years and have had no problems. just don't rev the sxxx out of the machine at start up.

ratpak

Reaction score
Check out "Harp" on here. He's the Spectro distributor and owns a few Ski Doo's and has some awesome product. Also, the long-haired hippie canadian from thunderstruck runs Spectro and will be showing off the pistons from his sled he's running it in at the sled show. Harp is great to deal with too.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out "Harp" on here. He's the Spectro distributor and owns a few Ski Doo's and has some awesome product. Also, the long-haired hippie canadian from thunderstruck runs Spectro and will be showing off the pistons from his sled he's running it in at the sled show. Harp is great to deal with too.

"Harp" is a salesman, he will tell you anything to buy is product that he sells! plus he rides a Doo.. Nuff said!!! JK...

Seriously the product that Harp sells is a good product, I buy about 95% of all my oil from him for personal use and for my shop.. I have never had any issues with the oil that he sells or dealing with him. great guy...:beer:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are a spectro dealer in mcbride. We used to run amsoil in our rentals and sold it aswell, since i have switched all our rentals and my personal sled over to spectro i'll never go back to amsoil. The thing that i've noticed with spectro is the fact that it doesn't smoke or gum up the exhaust valves like amsoil does. Another little peice of info that most people dont know is that spectro has been in business longer than amsoil, it has just never been marketed out west due to the farthest west main distributor was in ontario. Spectro is the oil that D&D racing sells and promotes and they've been around for a long time and i font think that they'd promote something that wasn't a good product. Dan davidoff "Crazy Canadian" also switched to over using spectro. We will be stocking both spectro and amsoil at the shop this winter because some people do want amsoil but i've noticed alot of the locals and out of town people are switching to spectro, so we will have alot more spectro on hand than amsoil. But the biggest thing that has sold me on spectro is what i have seen and witnessed with my own machine and the rental machines that we have have got like 3500km on them and not a hick-up and have taken the power valves out and they are still clean.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spectro will have a booth at the sled show beside Crazy Canadian. I have seen pics of the pistons out of Crazy C sled and they look awesome for having 4000km with turbo. I think that they may even have the pistons at the show to display to people.

Harp

Reaction score
"Harp" is a salesman, he will tell you anything to buy is product that he sells! plus he rides a Doo.. Nuff said!!! JK...

Seriously the product that Harp sells is a good product, I buy about 95% of all my oil from him for personal use and for my shop.. I have never had any issues with the oil that he sells or dealing with him. great guy...:beer:

Thanks Funtimes, I think. :confused:

oilerfan

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Summit 800 and since I switched to Spectro Syn-Sno I've had absolutly no problems. I overhauled my engine in the first year when I was using BRP's full synthetic oil. After that I switched to Spectro and have seen a considerable reduction in smoke and smell.
I would recomend this product to anybody. I pay less for the spectro than I can buy the BRP full synthetic product and its even less than Amsoil.

Top Bottom