Post secondary school for atv mechanic?

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm in grade 11 now but I already know I want to be a atv mechanic. Anyone know of a good school for it in either Alberta or saskatchawen or British Columbia? Any suggestions would be appreciated

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fairview College used to have a great motorcycle mechanic course. Not sure if it includes atv's or not, but worth checking out anyway.

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm in grade 11 now but I already know I want to be a atv mechanic. Anyone know of a good school for it in either Alberta or saskatchawen or British Columbia? Any suggestions would be appreciated

If your still in school you can register in the RAP (Registered Apprenticeship Program) program and get started on an apprenticeship before your even done high school... Tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca

Also check out Apprenticeship Incentive and Completion Grants at

SAIT and NAIT both have excellent programs that are widely recognized and they also do 'student for a day' so you can find out more info.

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks and yes im going in R.A.P program next year

and ye my friends brother is at the Fairvew one as we speek so we will see how he likes it

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Harley Davidson sends their factory mechanics to Fairview so must be a good program.

Some of those poor suckers from the warm parts of the USA are sent to Fairview in February!! Nothing to do but study and practice I guess.

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes according to my brothers friend all he does is go to class and drive around and go quadding soem times

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes according to my brothers friend all he does is go to class and drive around and go quadding soem times

well, my friend, as a dealer we have lots of RAP students apply, i weed out the ones who think they will be driving atvs and doing demos cause thats just not real. When you do the rap its like anything you start off as the shop helper, work your way into helping do set ups, and accessory installs, then depending on your attitude and skills you progress to getting to do general service, routine maintainance, and then you get to apprentice.

So if you are serious about getting into the business (atv mechanic) i think its a good idea, as there is always a shortage of good mechanics.

My advice to you is this, be serious about your choice give it good effort, as we have alot of students that are dissapointed and or goof off and get letgo.
(yes u can get fired for rap). Listen more talk less.

As for driving around, your not really learning about mechanics if your driving around are ya?

I tell my rap students this at the interview, if you think ur gonna be rebuilding engines, your not, this would be done in high school shop & would be a lawnmower engine. And any unit in my yard that you drive/or move has to be driven like it belongs to a big hells angel guy whos watching you.

so keep that in mind and you'll go along way.

just my thoughts

Terry

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Terry
Just for curiousity's (that can't be how you spell that???) sake, what is an average wage per year for an ATV mechanic nowadays.:beer::beer:

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks terry and i am ver serious about it whe nit comes to it i litsen to learn so evensually i will be able to do it my self heck im only 15.. 16 in october and i already do soem stuff to my brute force and i liek working on it and learning and figuring things out soo yes i am serious and i do not goof off when im working

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Terry
Just for curiousity's (that can't be how you spell that???) sake, what is an average wage per year for an ATV mechanic nowadays.:beer::beer:

depends on experience first yr is about 20-25 hr, after that it depends on which part of the country u live in. my top guys make 40-50 hr. plus perks and benefits..

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really that much, that's awesome. Maybe I should think about getting out of the patch and into the classroom:confused:
Thanks.:beer::beer:

duner

Reaction score
depends on experience first yr is about 20-25 hr, after that it depends on which part of the country u live in. my top guys make 40-50 hr. plus perks and benefits..

I've checked at a few dealers and the top guys make anywhere from 28 to 32 typically. I want to work for TT that's an unbelievable wage. First year at 25 wow. All the dealers I talked to pay around 12 to 16 for first year. If your going to pay an ATV mechanic $50 an hour, your labor rate must be $130 or more an hour.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats unreal, i dont think you could make that in sask. If i knew i could make that here i would have taken that course for sure. Im fairly quick and super picky, key to a good mechanic is treat it like its your own machine. some of the crap that comes out of some shops is a joke, like take the extra couple seconds to re route cables and wires nicely and line things up properly, its just little things like that that make it that much more professional. Nothing like taking your bike or sled in to get fixed and it isnt nice and neatly put back together, makes you wonder how well the motor was rebuilt or whatever was worked on was put back together.

Top Bottom