porting a track

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what are the pros and cons of porting a track?

and what is the best way to do it and how much do I take out?

I have 4 sleds and will it make a differance?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was a "must do" in 04-05....then some manufacturers (Doo) started porting factory tracks(06-07)....then they went too far (08-09) and guys are replacing the factory tracks with un-ported Camo Extremes. I did 2 x 2.25" holes in each flat on my 05 162. Weight loss is negligible, but the track seems to pull around the idlers easier. I'm getting a Camo Extreme this year and I'm going to just do 1 hole down the center.... but that's just my 0.02.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a must do in my opinion,take's the stiffness out of track,way easier spinning track by hand when you have ass end lifted up.Lift track off the ground try spinning track,then drill it and try again.use a hole hawg bit in reverse,burns a perfect hole,no fraying

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a 3, 2, 3 pattern using 1 1/4" hole say in reverse. Lost just over 1 1/2 pounds of rotating mass. That's HP getting to the ground! Noticed right away that the track speed spooled up quicker. Love and would do it again. With the 1 ply lightweight tracks coming out, not sure it will be necessary anymore.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mines ported as well lost big weight 151 weighs same as a 136. squeeze throttle and immediate response. sweet

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey magnet do you have any pics of your track that you could send me! I have 2 sleds with a 151 and like the thought of making it weight the same as the 136 lol. let me know the what size hole and how many. picture is worth a 1000 words lol.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hole saw in reverse with the teeth ground down to a knife edge almost all the way, pre heat it with a torch to help it burn a hole in the track. Burn your way through, don't chew through. Open air area, do not breath the smoke. Pattern at your discretion, most are 2 holes about 1'-1 1/4" diameter.

I know there are pics on this site of my track and porting tool, I'll see if I can find you the old thread.

Edit: Found it

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f55/my-track-porting-tool-9101.html

Some really good info from other users on that thread as well.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey magnet do you have any pics of your track that you could send me! I have 2 sleds with a 151 and like the thought of making it weight the same as the 136 lol. let me know the what size hole and how many. picture is worth a 1000 words lol.

i will try to get you some tonight when i get home.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was a skeptic before I tried it. I drilled my Maverick as I figured the track wasn't going to last long anyways! Drilled 2 - 1 1/8" holes down the centre. It helped clear the track of snow and the track definitely spins easier. You can feel it by hand and I was on the rev limiter at low elevations afterwards.

Lost two pounds on a 162" 3 pitch track (I kept all of the plugs and weighed them).

I plan on doing it to my new CE. Bigger holes this time but still down the centre as I've got a two wheel between the rails rear axel. I don't want the wheels running over the holes - juast concerned about vibration and I can't undo the holes.

Attachments

• track%20zoom%202.JPG
    track%20zoom%202.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After porting my 162 track on the 05 RT, it was an amazing difference to see the snow that gets cleared out while you ride. comparing identical sleds after one climb .......my sled had clean rear skid & the other was absolutely full of snow. I have ported all of my tracks since then.......but now had discussion with Darrel at Racers Edge & he says not to because it traps more air in the skid & makes harder to turn while riding. It made sense the way he described it that day. Not sure honestly what to say about it now though. Have new CE track going on as we speak & we'll see after a ride or 2 if I will do again. One other concern on our turbos is whether they will tear apart with too many holes in it!!!:eek:

MY:twocents:

RN

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't ride in low snow too often but my last ride was May 28. Rode plenty of hard icy early morning trails up to pow (even a little dirt, but scratches won't help that!). Just ride with the scratchers down - no problems. Before last season I took a few idler wheels off of my skid, added scratchers, 2 wheel rear axel, and ported the track w/ (2) 1 1/8" holes down the middle. 1500kms last season and got the least amount of slider wear in 3 years on my Apex.

If your refering to trail riding in low snow that might be a different situation. I'm doing a max. 10kms on icy trails till it softens up.

Top Bottom