Polaris Help Needed

powderpusher

Reaction score
I bought a polaris indy rmk with a hp 600 twin engine,the problem i am having with it is that the previous owner had twin pipes on it and before i purchased it he removed them .It came with the stock pipe and can on it and also a psi can ,when it is at idle and when you are riding it it smokes a little to much,I have been told by others following me that it smells like it is burning to rich,does any one know what the stock jetting would be on this sled as i got a suspision that it was jetted up for the pipes but was not rejetted when stock exhaust was put back on ,it is a 99 600 twin hp engine with keihen carbs ,any help would be appreciated as i would like to make it run better for this winters ride

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you check to see if the oil pump has been turned up? A lot of people will turn it up as I did just to be on the safe side when you pipe your sled. It is marked where the stock setting should be.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a polaris indy rmk with a hp 600 twin engine,the problem i am having with it is that the previous owner had twin pipes on it and before i purchased it he removed them .It came with the stock pipe and can on it and also a psi can ,when it is at idle and when you are riding it it smokes a little to much,I have been told by others following me that it smells like it is burning to rich,does any one know what the stock jetting would be on this sled as i got a suspision that it was jetted up for the pipes but was not rejetted when stock exhaust was put back on ,it is a 99 600 twin hp engine with keihen carbs ,any help would be appreciated as i would like to make it run better for this winters ride

With a little research or a trip to your local dealer, you can be guided in the right direction.

powderpusher

Reaction score
I have checked the oil pump settings and reset to factory specs still smokin smells like it is burning rich and has a dead spot when you first take off so i am leaning towards jetting and maybe clutching:(

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Hey Powderpusher, Stock jetting is 185, 50 pilots,jet needle #2 & air screw 1 turn.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have checked the oil pump settings and reset to factory specs still smokin smells like it is birning rich and has a dead spot when you first take off so i am lraning towards jetting and maybe clutching:(

Your in the correct direction... I`m assuming the sled was jetted up because of the pipes. I would check there first. Check under your hood for the correct factory jet size, you`ll be safe to drop a size or two as the factory tends to lean towards the rich side. Also, how old is the fuel in your tank? After 3-4 months fuel tends to go bad and will cause problems.....

powderpusher

Reaction score
Thanks to Bigfoot & redrum I will try rejetting it tomorrow and see if i can tear a strip out of the lawn, another quick question is if i have the psi can on it with stock pipe do i have to run it richer or can i run it at stock jetting as im new to this jetting and pipe stuff as all my other sleds were old antique sleds that you never had pipes for or did any rejetting

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Thanks to Bigfoot & redrum I will try rejetting it tomorrow and see if i can tear a strip out of the lawn, another quick question is if i have the psi can on it with stock pipe do i have to run it richer or can i run it at stock jetting as im new to this jetting and pipe stuff as all my other sleds were old antique sleds that you never had pipes for or did any rejetting

I would not suspect just the Can would need rejet.... Could be wrong. If the pipes were on then for sure jet up ! :beer:

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You wont need to jet up with just a can, stock jets or a size smaller will be just fine.

powderpusher

Reaction score
Turns out it was just the jetting the sled is running awsome now ,took a nice atrip out of the lawn ,thanks for the help big foot & redrum:

Top Bottom