Polaris Front End Clicking??? HELP!!!

viperman700

Reaction score
I have a 04' Sportsman 500 HO. I was out ice fishing one night and everything worked fine while I was out riding, no odd noises nothing. The next morning I take the atv out of the garage (not heated) and right away the front tires (area) starts clicking. So I rode it for about 10 minutes on the lake and road turned on and off the AWD 4x4. Made the clicking noise no matter what. So I jacked it up and spun each tire. The right side clicks as you turn it and so does the right. My initial guess was wheel bearings are bad I have about 1000 miles on it. I checked the cv joint boots and there where no tears or grease spalttered anywhere. Is it possible that the drive clutch is not disengaing all the way so it is clicking, but why is there clicking in 4x4? Is it possible that both bearings went bad at the exact same time or both cv joints went at the same time? I have run out of ideas, if anyone has had this problem please let me know.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the boots are intact then CVs are likely ok. Possibly bearings but I'll go a long shot. Does it click if the wheels are rotated in reverse? If it doesn't, check if the brake pad backing plate is rattling on the retainer pins.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could it be that polaris 4wd is electric and the is a short somewhere in the wiring,try it in 4x4 and in 2wd,you may need to take the cover off the hubs and clean it out as there might be water or rust in there,,,my old scrambler did the same thing.it might also be in the thumb switch..there might also be a micro switch on the shifter with a broke wire.let us know how this turns out.good luck!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Check your hub oil level. I think you put the plug at 3 0'clock and fill till it runs out. I had a polaris once and the oil kept leaking out and made noise until I filled it up again.

viperman700

Reaction score
I suppose it would have helped if I would have said that it does not have the hubs on the outside like alot of the models. There is no hubs on the outside of the tires. I do not have to "fill" hubs on mine, not like you would on the older models or even the scrambler. I never thought about the brake pins making that noise. The 4x4 is electric and it locks from the differential not at a set of hubs on the tire. The tire does not click going backward if I remember right. My machine is 300 miles from me. (I keep it at my cabin.)

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be your outside cv's starting to go bad. can happen even if the boot is intact. does the 4x4 work ok?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
... The tire does not click going backward if I remember right. My machine is 300 miles from me. (I keep it at my cabin.)

If the noise is really bothering you, take a set of brake pads with you. The ticking noise won't hurt anything.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the cv joint is clicking it might have some crap in it. try greesing it and see if it rotates easy it will save you some money until it completely piles up on you.

Top Bottom