Polaris factory 2 stroke turbo

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have to ask the polaris guys an honest question.

1. Chris Burandt is Polaris #1 man correct?

2. how come they have not listened to a thing he has said?

3. the man has been running boost before skidoo even had a sled that could be boosted, fawk we were still carbureted! I certainly thought polaris would be first to the factory boost game with his input. Why not?

4. chris was chopping tunnels way before it was cool, all of his brand new machines from polaris. Why did skidoo beat them to this aswell?

The bigger question is why has he not jumped ship to Ski-doo? The answers can only be they don't want him or he prefers the Polaris. What do you think is more likely?

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guess polaris figures as long as the skidoo front end has side panels like a pregnant whale people will keep buying it for the skinny chasis lol.

I’m sure all the oem’s have more tricks up their sleeves but leave the decisions up to the bean counters!

3. the man has been running boost before skidoo even had a sled that could be boosted, fawk we were still carbureted! I certainly thought polaris would be first to the factory boost game with his input. Why not?

4. chris was chopping tunnels way before it was cool, all of his brand new machines from polaris. Why did skidoo beat them to this aswell?

Last edited:

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just so you are aware, the number is closer to 3% per thousand feet so your "164 Horsepower" so even at the 6000ft mark you are actually at 135ish. So to actually get 165 horsepower you would need a machine that makes around 200HP at sea level... Which just isnt going to happen for reliable horsepower. Higher compression, big bores etc all come at a cost of reliability.

I get your point on the simplicity side of things, but you really cant beat a blower. Hell look at all the vehicles on the road now. There's a reason more and more vehicles are going down in displacement and putting on turbos. You dont see many big blocks rolling around anymore.

Maybe its just me, but a sled that makes 165 HP everywhere? Seems to fit the bill pretty perfectly.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is actually why Bret Rasmussen came to Skidoo. He was shocked that the Doo engineers were interested in his ideas on how to build a mountain sled. I too am surprised Polaris seems to use Burandt as a shiny pony and not use his extensive knowledge on how to make the product better. Skidoo can thank Burandts ideas for the Expert platform. They should send him a cheque

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just so you are aware, the number is closer to 3% per thousand feet so your "164 Horsepower" so even at the 6000ft mark you are actually at 135ish. So to actually get 165 horsepower you would need a machine that makes around 200HP at sea level... Which just isnt going to happen for reliable horsepower. Higher compression, big bores etc all come at a cost of reliability.

I get your point on the simplicity side of things, but you really cant beat a blower. Hell look at all the vehicles on the road now. There's a reason more and more vehicles are going down in displacement and putting on turbos. You dont see many big blocks rolling around anymore.

Maybe its just me, but a sled that makes 165 HP everywhere? Seems to fit the bill pretty perfectly.

Okay so can a OEM build a N/A 200 HP @ sea level motor, that weighs less than the E-tec with the turbo? Or are we not looking at the whole picture here. Does the torque of a motor play a factor here?

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bigger question is why has he not jumped ship to Ski-doo? The answers can only be they don't want him or he prefers the Polaris. What do you think is more likely?

He's a Polaris guy always has been. His dad road Polaris and Chris had them growing up all his life.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say he prefers a lighter more nimble chassis that doesnt look overweight and cook bacon on the primary.

we cook it on the Muffler now FYI. Those overweight panels give us a built in panini press. But we do have options with the new belt temp sensor letting us know when the primary is ready to start cookin

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay so can a OEM build a N/A 200 HP @ sea level motor, that weighs less than the E-tec with the turbo? Or are we not looking at the whole picture here. Does the torque of a motor play a factor here?

Likely not. Weight on a sled is king, and turbos are just a much more efficient way to get power out of smaller displacement engines. If they could make these n/a engines make 200HP with no weight penalty they would have done it already. You reach a point where if you continue adding displacement you have less and less gains in performance, start to loose efficiency.

Torque does have an impact, but due to the CVT clutches it has less of an impact than you would expect. The clutches are tuned to get the sled into its peak power band where it makes the most possible power the quickest possible.

Turbos really are the way of the future, if you look at what some of the car manufacturers are doing with them it really is pretty incredible. Koenigsegg came out a while ago with a 3 cylinder 2.0L Sequential Turbo engine that made something along the lines of 600HP.

If you want big torque, start looking into electric motors, wont be long before we start seeing them in sleds is my bet.

Last edited:

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
people that are saying burandt has nothing to do with r&d at polaris are so wrong. he was very open with his involvement when we rode with him in 2011.
improvements along the life span of the pro chassis had his fingerprints on them. develpment of the axys as well. he could care less about engines and turbos
and leaves that to the engineers. he wants big boost and you won't get that with a factory turbo. the elevation where he rides is mental. 10-12000 feet.
we couldn't even hardly sleep at his lodge in kremmling. hard for a person from 2500 feet to get comfortable there. he has so many aftermarket sponsors
that a factory turbo means nothing to him. they may have something in the works but he is more about chassis and suspension.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Listen to any interviews about what he rode as a kid all polaris. Cat was just the first sponsor.
ok his first sponsored ride was cat which he rode for a few years. he never started riding polaris as a sponsored rider until 2010.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
people that are saying burandt has nothing to do with r&d at polaris are so wrong. he was very open with his involvement when we rode with him in 2011.
improvements along the life span of the pro chassis had his fingerprints on them. develpment of the axys as well. he could care less about engines and turbos
and leaves that to the engineers. he wants big boost and you won't get that with a factory turbo. the elevation where he rides is mental. 10-12000 feet.
we couldn't even hardly sleep at his lodge in kremmling. hard for a person from 2500 feet to get comfortable there. he has so many aftermarket sponsors
that a factory turbo means nothing to him. they may have something in the works but he is more about chassis and suspension.

Shouldn’t be about Him LOL should be about Polaris customers. So he wouldn’t want 165hp at 12,000ft? Vs 105? I’m sure most Polaris riders would!! when Polaris releases one he’ll be hoping around on it like it’s the best thing ever that’s a guarantee. As he should, because it is LOL

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shouldn’t be about Him LOL should be about Polaris customers. So he wouldn’t want 165hp at 12,000ft? Vs 105? I’m sure most Polaris riders would!! when Polaris releases one he’ll be hoping around on it like it’s the best thing ever that’s a guarantee. As he should, because it is LOL

Polaris is going to leap frog 2 stroke turbos by going directly to battery electric.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not really sure what your getting at here. as long as he is the poster child he will be calling their sleds the best things ever. so what! my point was that he is mainly about handling. every sled he rides has a turbo, but its making more than 165 at elevation.
even if polaris releases a factory turbo it won't be what he rides anyway. of course he will promote it. typical blah blah.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it appears the 925 is going to be a 4 stroke from Polaris this year. I guess it will have its market down East. Time will tell. Anyway, most guys are not unhappy with their Polaris 850's and the move to the Matryx chassis will be interesting. The current AXYS was not being beat by the T-850 G4 last season in our riding group but word is the 2021 Ski-doo has new clutching and possibly a bit more ponies, so this season will be fun.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it appears the 925 is going to be a 4 stroke from Polaris this year. I guess it will have its market down East. Time will tell. Anyway, most guys are not unhappy with their Polaris 850's and the move to the Matryx chassis will be interesting. The current AXYS was not being beat by the T-850 G4 last season in our riding group but word is the 2021 Ski-doo has new clutching and possibly a bit more ponies, so this season will be fun.
Good to see a 4 stroke offering from Polaris for the largest market segment, trail. I spend some time on Dootalk (strangely less pro doo than here on politics and mud) and 4 strokes have really taken on a ton of that market and numerous guys are saying they won't go back to a 2 stroke so I bet Polaris picks up a lot of sales. Then they can afford even more R&D for the mountain segment LOL.

Top Bottom