Polaris ambassadors are saying the NA is the way to go!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what is the difference between a green rider going to the dealership and buying an entry level 850cc trail sled with 165hp and riding it at sea level? vs a green rider purchasing a snowmobile thats 165hp at elevation?

or should be be buying a 440 fan

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100% agree with these statements. Heres a story. My 120lb girlfriend rides a skidoo Factory turbo. It has made her hands down a better and more confident rider. Not to mention she gets a much bigger thrill out of this machine. She is stuck less and has a smile on her face more. She has been on the snow a few seasons now however so is not a new rider. If you have zero snowmobile experience for sure NA may be the way to start off, as mentioned you need to understand how to handle a powerful machine like this with basic skills under your belt first.

But like mentioned above, if your a seasoned mountain rider and your saying you don't need it. Its only for these reason, because you are telling yourself you don't, you haven't tried it, or its not in the budget.

agreed with dave it has zero drawbacks..Other than fuel and oil if you consider that a drawback to happiness LOL!!

To be fair , how do you think it would have worked if she had started on a boosted heavier sled ? Think she’d have learned as fast , got stuck more , wrecked more stuff ? Think every motorcycle rider should start on a full dresser ? Think every skier should start on black diamond runs ?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be fair , how do you think it would have worked if she had started on a boosted heavier sled ? Think she’d have learned as fast , got stuck more , wrecked more stuff ? Think every motorcycle rider should start on a full dresser ? Think every skier should start on black diamond runs ?

Good points, i do believe it helps to have the basics of mountain riding under your belt on a 600/600 class mountain machine before getting on a turbo. That being said ive taken a few first time mountain riders out on the factory turbo. If educated properly it can be an enjoyable safe experience.

Reactions: RGM

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what is the difference between a green rider going to the dealership and buying an entry level 850cc trail sled with 165hp and riding it at sea level? vs a green rider purchasing a snowmobile thats 165hp at elevation?

Your really asking that, seriously.
I wonder if anyone can provide SARs data for low elevation riders. To compare with just Revy to Sicamous alone.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy fu@$ did this get off topic lol. just got caught up on the last 5 pages so let me sum this up so know one else has to waste there time. If you are a mountain rider and you don't have a turbo you are... number 1 broke.. 2 a new rider.. 3 your wife said know..

4 your just gay. Any mountain rider would have more fun on a turbo, any brand, any kit, anytime and those who say nooooooo not me quit lying to yourself. I tried to ride a NA sled in 2019 after 11 years of boosted sleds... and 10 wieners in your mouth gay... COME ON !!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy fu@$ did this get off topic lol. just got caught up on the last 5 pages so let me sum this up so know one else has to waste there time. If you are a mountain rider and you don't have a turbo you are... number 1 broke.. 2 a new rider.. 3 your wife said know..

4 your just gay. Any mountain rider would have more fun on a turbo, any brand, any kit, anytime and those who say nooooooo not me quit lying to yourself. I tried to ride a NA sled in 2019 after 11 years of boosted sleds... and 10 wieners in your mouth gay... COME ON !!

You got more then i did out of this, except that last bit...."COME ON" isn't that a Trudeau line?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
boy this really is SKIDOO and mud, this is a polaris thread! LOL!

to be fair, we were discussing turbo/na sleds in general, as per the title, I did find it interesting how the topic went to doo tho.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your really asking that, seriously.
I wonder if anyone can provide SARs data for low elevation riders. To compare with just Revy to Sicamous alone.

no doubt they are higher but i dont think that is attributed to Factory turbo mountain sleds......but i could be wrong. Id venture to say people getting stuck on the hill are likely on NA sleds too. Maybe even less because you can actually get out of a crappy spot on a turbo. I assist SAR and Recoveries in the robson valley and have not had to recover a Turbo Skidoo or turbo skidoo rider yet. I have had to recover myself multiple times by hand building some exit trails though. LOL

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no doubt they are higher but i dont think that is attributed to Factory turbo mountain sleds......but i could be wrong. Id venture to say people getting stuck on the hill are likely on NA sleds too. Maybe even less because you can actually get out of a crappy spot on a turbo. I assist SAR and Recoveries in the robson valley and have not had to recover a Turbo Skidoo or turbo skidoo rider yet. I have had to recover myself multiple times by hand building some exit trails though. LOL

That is actually part of my point. You say "not had to recover a turbo yet". If you look at the numbers the non turbo vs turbo sleds the non turbo guys are getting more into trouble. Now lets just put them all on turbo's and see how that work's out..LOL

I think by the numbers its just because there are more non turbo sleds out there. Simply as the numbers change and more and more turbos are out you will see a change.
The difference in that change will also come with guys getting in bigger trouble. You might think a turbo will save your arse but it is more likely in difficult terrain to get you in more trouble then save it. Take my word for it, been a boost for a long long time.
Today most guys riding turbo's do so because they have been in the game for a few years and choose too, though they can get into trouble just the same that experience they gained over the years is what saves them, it's NOT the turbo.
New riders, mountains, turbo's, not a good combo imo.

Now to clarify, turbo's sleds or non turbo sleds are all great, but you don't need a turbo to get out into the mountains, you just need experience, knowing your skills and what your getting into and that will come in time devoted into the sport. Then at that point decide if a turbo is needed for you.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Doo turbos burn so much fuel that they run out before they can get lost

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I rode Fancooled Sleds in the mountains for 22 yrs and did not own a liquid sled till 2008.My favorites were 2 different custom built Indy Lites with Mod 488 Fancooled engine that I rode for 14 yrs.Those 2 machines laided tracks on a lot of different Mountains in the Valemount Area which some on this forum have never rode or possible never heard of.I rode with small group of guys armed with paper maps and no GPS’s.On one occasion we rode beyond 9000’ elevation and this was not spring riding.

Last edited:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode Fancooled Sleds in the mountains for 22 yrs and did not own a liquid sled till 2008.My favorites were 2 different custom built Indy Lites with Mod 488 Fancooled engine that I rode for 14 yrs.Those 2 machines laided tracks on a lot of different Mountains in the Valemount Area which some on this forum have never rode or possible never heard of.I rode with small group of guys armed with paper maps and no GPS’s.On one occasion we rode beyond 9000’ elevation and this was not spring riding.

Are you still running the twin track?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But why would a Polaris ambassador say a NA is the way to go, I wonder???
1-cant be broke, I thought they got free demos to ride.
2-cant be a new rider to be an ambassador, its possible, I could be wrong.
3-doubt it the wife, #1 should come into play.
4-????? That a possibility, and maybe a Polaris thing???
Do we have a Conspiracy Theory afoot????

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Because the turbos are sold out. They need to push the NA sleds.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its called..."We have a small number of turbo's available this year so please buy a N/A sled so we can have some kind of marketshare".

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100% agree with these statements. Heres a story. My 120lb girlfriend rides a skidoo Factory turbo. It has made her hands down a better and more confident rider. Not to mention she gets a much bigger thrill out of this machine. She is stuck less and has a smile on her face more. She has been on the snow a few seasons now however so is not a new rider. If you have zero snowmobile experience for sure NA may be the way to start off, as mentioned you need to understand how to handle a powerful machine like this with basic skills under your belt first.

But like mentioned above, if your a seasoned mountain rider and your saying you don't need it. Its only for these reason, because you are telling yourself you don't, you haven't tried it, or its not in the budget.

agreed with dave it has zero drawbacks..Other than fuel and oil if you consider that a drawback to happiness LOL!!

So to derail this thread some more is this 120# GF the same one you previously referred to as your wife or it it #2? LOL

Top Bottom