Plugged oil cap 2012 Proclimb M8 motor seized

1968chevy

Reaction score
Took my M8 out for the first trip this year to the mountains this past weekend and motor SEIZED 0.5km from trailer at Allen Creek. Just found out that the oil cap wasn't venting and got air locked at the oil pump. AND THEN THE DEALER TELLS ME THAT AN UPDATED CAP CAME OUT IN 2015! MY DEALER SAID THEY HAD 4 MACHINES WITH THIS PROBLEM AND I DID NOT OVERFILL IT. WHY DIDN'T AC SEND OUT A BULLETIN? WTF? :realmad: So I was wondering how many other people have had this happen to them?

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you end up looking for parts I have a complete 2014 motor sitting around about 200 miles on it.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know anyone personally but have heard of this exact issue before. ****ty luck. Hope that they take care of you and get you back on the snow soon.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took my M8 out for the first trip this year to the mountains this past weekend and motor SEIZED 0.5km from trailer at Allen Creek. Just found out that the oil cap wasn't venting and got air locked at the oil pump. AND THEN THE DEALER TELLS ME THAT AN UPDATED CAP CAME OUT IN 2015! MY DEALER SAID THEY HAD 4 MACHINES WITH THIS PROBLEM AND I DID NOT OVERFILL IT. WHY DIDN'T AC SEND OUT A BULLETIN? WTF? :realmad: So I was wondering how many other people have had this happen to them?

This was a pretty highly talked about topic in 2012/2013...if you bought the sled new, your dealer should have let you know...all the 2012's with the 800 engine, because of the angled filler neck design, had potential oil air lock issues. With the angled neck design, it made filling it much easier than a straight neck but the little ball in the vent of the cap does not work at an angle. Until a new designed one was released the solution was to drill a small hole on the angled neck just below the vent cap and/or do not fill the oil above the sight glass. The 2013 models and newer were changed to a straight neck design....a little harder to fill but the vent worked.
Too bad your dealer didn't let you know because it was truly a pretty hot topic back then.....been a non issue since the redesign. And from what I heard it was no longer an issue for anyone who drilled the hole in the neck.
I know that doesn't help your issue today.....unfortunately.:(

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have come across this problem on a customers sled (polaris 600) it went though 2 engines and the dealer said it was the stator but I friggered it out the oil cap was plugged

no warranty from the dealer ether

1968chevy

Reaction score
Yes I did purchase it new and when I questioned him on it he agreed that there was a problem but forgot to tell me and offered parts at 15% off. WOW! I don't know why I never heard about it but I wasn't on this site for a couple years either. Really frustrating

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I did purchase it new and when I questioned him on it he agreed that there was a problem but forgot to tell me and offered parts at 15% off. WOW! I don't know why I never heard about it but I wasn't on this site for a couple years either. Really frustrating

You mean Jeff @ Outlaw?

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard of this issue a few times. Every time I add oil I clean out the cap and make sure I hear a rattle.

1968chevy

Reaction score
My cap also would rattle when I took it off but could not suck or blow any air through it. I didn't want to risk this happening again so I bought a new 2015 cap (no check valve inside this one). I sent Arctic Cat service an e-mail so I'm waiting to hear back from them on the issue.

Top Bottom