2012 M8 HCR .. Bad bog ..

HCR800<3

Reaction score
I have a 2012 M8 HCR and last year I had guys tell me they were having problems up and down and side to side with these machines from blowing engines to blowing belts.. I personally never had one problem with this sled UNTIL they did flash updates on it.. First time went out to Core Lodge in November for the first ride of the year and first ride after my sleds first updates and 5 seconds down the trail the sled completely died and started flashing ECU 17 at me which meant she had blown an exhaust temp sensor.. So whatever took it in and got it fixed. Ran fine after never died, although now the sled is sometimes hard to start like it needs a little bit of throttle now and then to even stay idling. And when the sled is warm, it can idle for a few seconds enough time for me to put my gloves on and when I go to give it gas it completely falls on it's face and than comes right back to life. Took it in and got my local dealer to look at it and they requested installing a cold air intake.. I don't like the idea as it never did this before, only since those updates.. Than this past weekend I got it back from them took it out and 5 seconds down the trail the sled died completely, but no engine codes, wouldn't start again. Had to get towed back. Changed all of my plugs and there was a piece of metal in one of my boots.. SO anyways got it going went out for the day and it still bogged sooo bad. Maybe a coil?

So my question is now that I have talked forever...Is anyone else having these problems and are they because of the flashes? I don't really know how to take it when my dealer tells me 'Welcome to the Proclimb chassis' when I tell him about my problems lol.. :nono:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a 2012 M8 HCR and last year I had guys tell me they were having problems up and down and side to side with these machines from blowing engines to blowing belts.. I personally never had one problem with this sled UNTIL they did flash updates on it.. First time went out to Core Lodge in November for the first ride of the year and first ride after my sleds first updates and 5 seconds down the trail the sled completely died and started flashing ECU 17 at me which meant she had blown an exhaust temp sensor.. So whatever took it in and got it fixed. Ran fine after never died, although now the sled is sometimes hard to start like it needs a little bit of throttle now and then to even stay idling. And when the sled is warm, it can idle for a few seconds enough time for me to put my gloves on and when I go to give it gas it completely falls on it's face and than comes right back to life. Took it in and got my local dealer to look at it and they requested installing a cold air intake.. I don't like the idea as it never did this before, only since those updates.. Than this past weekend I got it back from them took it out and 5 seconds down the trail the sled died completely, but no engine codes, wouldn't start again. Had to get towed back. Changed all of my plugs and there was a piece of metal in one of my boots.. SO anyways got it going went out for the day and it still bogged sooo bad. Maybe a coil?

So my question is now that I have talked forever...Is anyone else having these problems and are they because of the flashes? I don't really know how to take it when my dealer tells me 'Welcome to the Proclimb chassis' when I tell him about my problems lol.. :nono:

I would be calling another dealer.... asking them their opinion on it.... Metal in which boot? intake or spark plug? Have you pulled the nose cone and checked the air box for any ice or blockages?

HCR800<3

Reaction score
I would be calling another dealer.... asking them their opinion on it.... Metal in which boot? intake or spark plug? Have you pulled the nose cone and checked the air box for any ice or blockages?

I'm not entirely positive which boot.. Would have been looking at the sled on the right side. On of those two closest to the clutch side. I didn't take them off had a buddy do it because I wasn't in the mood to even look at the sled at that moment lol.. I was thinking of taking to another dealer. Thinking maybe Chetwynd Arctic Cat, they seem to know what's up and for around where I live it's either driving to Chetwynd or Wainwright where I bought the sled. Haven't pulled the nose cone although that it a very good idea! But my sled is usually stored in a heated garage so you would think it would be fine. Although it was sitting outside all last week and Saturday morning is when this happened. Hmm.

Thanks man! :)

HCR800<3

Reaction score

Haha omg I read your question wrong.. It was a spark plug boot. Duuuhhh haven't had enough coffee yet this morning haha.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not entirely positive which boot.. Would have been looking at the sled on the right side. On of those two closest to the clutch side. I didn't take them off had a buddy do it because I wasn't in the mood to even look at the sled at that moment lol.. I was thinking of taking to another dealer. Thinking maybe Chetwynd Arctic Cat, they seem to know what's up and for around where I live it's either driving to Chetwynd or Wainwright where I bought the sled. Haven't pulled the nose cone although that it a very good idea! But my sled is usually stored in a heated garage so you would think it would be fine. Although it was sitting outside all last week and Saturday morning is when this happened. Hmm.

Thanks man! :)

In all honesty, call Mark @ T&T Powersports 780-826-6121, describe what you have experienced he may have some really good pointers for you.

Predmech

Reaction score
I have the exact same sled with all the same updates.No problems with bogging or power at all,in fact power and is awesome!

HCR800<3

Reaction score
For the record. If anyone experiences this sh*t. I have a blown engine. The real mechanic who replied to this thread (CatRyder88) took 10 minutes to figure it out and my local dealer gave 5 hours and came up with sweet fork all. Besides that a cold air intake would fix the bogging and power loss :realmad:

HCR800<3

Reaction score
Oil cap issues.. My pistons had cancer. Starved itself of oil and scored the pistons. The 2013 ones are better. But if you fill it right full and the breather part of the cap is submersed in oil it will starve for oil because the pump will pull a vacuum on the tank. It's jappened to 2 of my buddies and I actually called a friend with the same sled last night and he said that he pulled his injection pump off the other night and it puked oil and when he took the cap off it puked more. So.. It's not strange if 2 people in my friend group alone have experienced it.

I've also heard of guys rolling their sleds to get out of situations and the long neck on the oil tank creating an air bubble air locking the line and basically doing the same thing.

Moral of the story change that cap and that tank. Avoid this kind of crap.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i still think my bog is from a sticky primary, i have looked at my pistons and they are fine. i generally run some oil in the fuel tank also. which should prevent oil deprevation?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i still think my bog is from a sticky primary, i have looked at my pistons and they are fine. i generally run some oil in the fuel tank also. which should prevent oil deprevation?

I would check your reeds. Have had lots of them that chip and break reeds and that will cause a lowend bog.

As for this oil cap issue, This is the first ive ever heard of it on a cat. I have 4 2012's and one has 10,000km on it and theyve never had an oil issue and they are still on the original pistons they were bought with. The only issue ive seen is if you hit your knee on the panel hard it can crack/break the oil tank filler neck.

HCR800<3

Reaction score
I would check your reeds. Have had lots of them that chip and break reeds and that will cause a lowend bog.

As for this oil cap issue, This is the first ive ever heard of it on a cat. I have 4 2012's and one has 10,000km on it and theyve never had an oil issue and they are still on the original pistons they were bought with. The only issue ive seen is if you hit your knee on the panel hard it can crack/break the oil tank filler neck.

When the 2012's were snow checked within a week of having the sled I got a recall notice to roll the sled onto it's left side for 5 minutes to let a possible air bubble in the oil line out. 3 of my friends have experienced this and now I have. So it's not something that isn't familiar to this M8 world. I most definetely have not cracked the neck. And one of the guys that experienced this had .2 kms on his sled and it did the same thing mine did with 1200 kms. And when this happens to 3 people in my friend group alone, well that pretty much should open some eyes to the consumer. As well as a few dealers that I have called and have had this issue through their shop. Another sign is the change in the 2013 oil tanks and caps. Who does that for sh*ts and giggles?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What you are refering to the oil line that does not have anything to do with the cap. It is because the oil line from the tank to pump runs pretty well flat so air can get trapped in there if not bled properly. As the owner of a sled repair/rental shop in mcbride we see MASSIVE numbers of sleds come thru town every weekend. And like i said before this post is the first i have ever heard of an issue with an "oil cap". Yes if the vent in the cap gets plugged it can starve the engine of oil, saw several polaris's do this at the beginning of 2011/12 riding season. And if you crack the neck all that will cause is some oil spillage nothing more.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil cap issues.. My pistons had cancer. Starved itself of oil and scored the pistons. The 2013 ones are better. But if you fill it right full and the breather part of the cap is submersed in oil it will starve for oil because the pump will pull a vacuum on the tank. It's jappened to 2 of my buddies and I actually called a friend with the same sled last night and he said that he pulled his injection pump off the other night and it puked oil and when he took the cap off it puked more. So.. It's not strange if 2 people in my friend group alone have experienced it.

I've also heard of guys rolling their sleds to get out of situations and the long neck on the oil tank creating an air bubble air locking the line and basically doing the same thing.

Moral of the story change that cap and that tank. Avoid this kind of crap.

If your top end was starved for oil and took out pistons what are you planning for the bottom end?

HCR800<3

Reaction score
Well, I didn't consider planning anything for my top end. So I don't plan much for the bottom end besides having it fixed right?

Being a repair and rental shop you would think you would maybe share some information rather than poke your nose in and think you know what is up when you haven't experienced this first hand. Clearly, I am not the only one. SO if all you wanna do is see who can pee farther here you can just drop it. Because there's no need for it.

I say good day.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
??? i would like to hear all opinions. I want this problem fixed.

Top Bottom