2012 M8 HCR .. Bad bog ..

CatRyder88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my opinion is that it looses oil for a short period of time long enough for the pistons to create enough heat to cause damage and the sled will die ( exactly what mine and hcr800's sled did. Then it starts to run again and everything is fine except a toast top end

HCR800<3

Reaction score
??? i would like to hear all opinions. I want this problem fixed.

Hey we all want opinions not many of us are looking for someone to argue with about a common problem in one area and not seen in another.

Hope everyone gets their sleds running good and fine and thanks to those who put useful input into my questions!

HCR800<3

Reaction score
Well my opinion is that it looses oil for a short period of time long enough for the pistons to create enough heat to cause damage and the sled will die ( exactly what mine and hcr800's sled did. Then it starts to run again and everything is fine except a toast top end

And a bog.. Lol.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your right... if i wanted to argue i'd still be married lol. but if ten opinions lead me to my one problem, its all good.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
carbon vertical lines? or actual scoring on piston/cylinder?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't consider planning anything for my top end. So I don't plan much for the bottom end besides having it fixed right?

Being a repair and rental shop you would think you would maybe share some information rather than poke your nose in and think you know what is up when you haven't experienced this first hand. Clearly, I am not the only one. SO if all you wanna do is see who can pee farther here you can just drop it. Because there's no need for it.

I say good day.

Ok you must not know me at all or read many of my posts on here... I have never tried to get into pissing contests on here. If you do a search ive helped out ALOT of people that have had issues with there sleds. That being said im not nor have i ever said i know it all or seen it all..

What i have seen like stated before is sleds that start out with a bog and it just gets progressively worse as the reeds continue to chip more and more right to the point that it will run on one cylinder. The reed issue is a very common problem with the cat 800 H.O. motor. Also ive seen the odd one have issues with wiring for the fuel pump that also causes them to be boggy and quit, but restart again after. I have seen some that the hood/airbox doesnt get installed properly into the plenum going to the throttle bodies and it can suck in snow and cause a bog.

Have you done a compression check on motor yet? What do the pistons look like? If it a lack of oil they will be scored all the way around. And if there has been a lack of oil i would be inspecting all the bearings in the bottom end as they would also have had a lack of oil.

CatRyder88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vertical scoring. And small chunks out of the edge of the piston.
Just like this. ( this is from my 2012)

upedy9y2.jpg

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
broken/chipped reeds also cause a inconsistent hard starting? sometimes having to crack throttle to start, but other times starting as it should?

HCR800<3

Reaction score
broken/chipped reeds also cause a inconsistent hard starting? sometimes having to crack throttle to start, but other times starting as it should?

That's what mine was doing and my dealer pretty much ignored my complaints and it got progressively worse to the point that the sled was dead. And this fault was found. Same thing between two 2012 M8's.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Reeds can. But the fuel pump wiring could easily cause your problem if it is not pumping properly all the time. Which i have had a sled come thru where the fuel pump quit working properly intermitently. It was some wires rubbing for the pump itself. It could also be the cause of the piston failures. The reason i say this is because if it wasnt pushing proper fuel pressure it could cause a lean situation that would cause excess heat and piston scoring especially if it only on the exhaust side. If its an oil issue the piston will have scoring all the way around, lean scoring will be on exhaust side with possible eroding of top of the piston on exhaust side due to heat and detonation, if it is scored more a less on four corners then its caused from an overheating/coldseizing situation.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 M8 HCR and last year I had guys tell me they were having problems up and down and side to side with these machines from blowing engines to blowing belts.. I personally never had one problem with this sled UNTIL they did flash updates on it.. First time went out to Core Lodge in November for the first ride of the year and first ride after my sleds first updates and 5 seconds down the trail the sled completely died and started flashing ECU 17 at me which meant she had blown an exhaust temp sensor.. So whatever took it in and got it fixed. Ran fine after never died, although now the sled is sometimes hard to start like it needs a little bit of throttle now and then to even stay idling. And when the sled is warm, it can idle for a few seconds enough time for me to put my gloves on and when I go to give it gas it completely falls on it's face and than comes right back to life. Took it in and got my local dealer to look at it and they requested installing a cold air intake.. I don't like the idea as it never did this before, only since those updates.. Than this past weekend I got it back from them took it out and 5 seconds down the trail the sled died completely, but no engine codes, wouldn't start again. Had to get towed back. Changed all of my plugs and there was a piece of metal in one of my boots.. SO anyways got it going went out for the day and it still bogged sooo bad. Maybe a coil?

So my question is now that I have talked forever...Is anyone else having these problems and are they because of the flashes? I don't really know how to take it when my dealer tells me 'Welcome to the Proclimb chassis' when I tell him about my problems lol.. :nono:
My son cracked his airbox and the braces were damaged and the sled did everything u just said so I would go after the easy first and then go from their.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lucky, i checked out my top end and everything is great. Carbon marks were superficial, no other signs of piston cancer. sticky primary was the only culprit i found. will dig into the reed issue after the weekend. fingers crossed

Top Bottom