Platinum f350 or chev ltz diesel

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
16's had 20% off MRSP manufacture rebate, plus whatever from the dealer. I bought mine when it was 15%. 17's were a crap tonne more.

I'm talking a new 16 compared to used 16, still a pretty good choice of new 16's.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
17 platinum 350 is 88,000$ , was just there

If that's the price they want, just a guess it could be gotten for around $80k OTD, maybe even less. They love to play the games and try to get a fortune.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no way you will actually save $20k on a 16 with 20k on it, even if it's $80k new, it might actually be around $10k. IMO I would go with a few less options and buy new, too many people treat their vehicles like crap it's not worth the savings. Also unless you're paying cash, used financing rates are a lot higher (some having 0% for example), you'll save like $10k in interest alone.

I just did.
My truck priced out with the exact same options was 80g plus delivery and freight and tire tax, gst, and everything else they tack onto a new vehicle. Even after rebates it was just about 83g.

Why would I want to buy new with less options to short change myself just to save a buck? It hurts resale on the other end.

I got a 16 for 62 without all that stuff just gst on top. Sure it has 15k on it, but that's a small price to pay compared to a new one. Mine was a dealer owner demo and had a few brand new extras thrown into as well worth almost 4g for nothing and I know 95% of its life was spent just driving around the city.

BTW, the financing rate was higher on the used, but only added up to $800 more on the term. Not enough to justify buying new. If you can get new at 0% then maybe, but you can't get that on a dmax or a ford diesel right now. Plus financing rates are subject to credit rating so kind of a invalid factor to use on justifying new/used.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently priced out a 17 LTZ 3500, Crew, Leather, tow mirrors, trailering provisions, center console.

No nav, sunroof or fancy colors and the MSRP was 81,285 on that truck.

Used 16 3500's from what I've seen are around 62- 66 thousand

So yes they are taking a $20k hit driving off the lot.

In a similar situation as the OP but likely won't be buying till the fall.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did.
My truck priced out with the exact same options was 80g plus delivery and freight and tire tax, gst, and everything else they tack onto a new vehicle. Even after rebates it was just about 83g.

Why would I want to buy new with less options to short change myself just to save a buck? It hurts resale on the other end.

I got a 16 for 62 without all that stuff just gst on top. Sure it has 15k on it, but that's a small price to pay compared to a new one. Mine was a dealer owner demo and had a few brand new extras thrown into as well worth almost 4g for nothing and I know 95% of its life was spent just driving around the city.

BTW, the financing rate was higher on the used, but only added up to $800 more on the term. Not enough to justify buying new. If you can get new at 0% then maybe, but you can't get that on a dmax or a ford diesel right now. Plus financing rates are subject to credit rating so kind of a invalid factor to use on justifying new/used.

Dodge is offering 0% for 48 months on diesels, so that's a huge difference if considering a Dodge, used makes zero sense. Never had a issue getting the best rate offered, last purchase I made them do even better then what Dodge was offering. When you make a deal, and put it is contingent on a certain rate and term, they make it happen to not loose the sale.

It's still tough to trust those numbers. If the dealer had the used truck in stock for awhile and wanted to get rid of it, compared to having to bring in the new one, etc. IME they always want a fortune for the slightly used. And was the new the rock bottom price? For example a new dodge limited with a sticker of $90k is doable for $70k all in, easily for less now. If you play hardball and know what the price should be, you'd be amazed how low they will go.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that's true, hate players dealer games

It is pathetic. Looking at a new 1500 right now and just emailing a few i'm already sick of it. I called one out yesterday, second time in two weeks he's telling me of a "private sale" so I better come in and called him on it saying just tell me the best price and cut the BS..... Never replied back! Has probably sent me 20 emails in two weeks.... But not one is a better price then the MSRP minus rebates.....

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15/16 2500 and 3500 dmax's don't last long on lots so they are getting their asking prices and not moving much on new prices. Just spent 10 days haggling with every dealer in Alberta lol. I got my '07 dmax classic lt body style at 0% for 62g new off the lot so I feel I didn't do too bad.

Dodge is a different story. They are a cheaper truck for a reason. And resale is much less. Friend of mine is on his 3rd since 2008. He got 12g for the 2012 he traded in last year for a full load 3500 diesel. Basically the same options and condition as my '07 but newer and dodge. I got over 20 for my '07 with the same mileage.

Don't get me wrong I like the Dodge more than the Ford. But their quality is the $hits imo-especially in the electrical dept. I feel this is the reason for the lower prices on them. All they got is a good diesel.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently priced out a 17 LTZ 3500, Crew, Leather, tow mirrors, trailering provisions, center console.

No nav, sunroof or fancy colors and the MSRP was 81,285 on that truck.

Used 16 3500's from what I've seen are around 62- 66 thousand

So yes they are taking a $20k hit driving off the lot.

In a similar situation as the OP but likely won't be buying till the fall.

Think you can get a demo 3500 for our March trip? And a demo 2018 Cat 800 too?

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta must have more inventory. Dealer here has nothing on lot for 16' diesels and a waiting list if anything ( newer) used comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think you can get a demo 3500 for our March trip? And a demo 2018 Cat 800 too?
Hahah I had a rental '16 3500 6.0 gas POS for my new year's trip when my truck was in the shop. My 5.3 Max Tow pulled the same setup better and used 1/3 less fuel.

And yes, leftover 16's are pretty much non existent in SK. Even used ones are hard to come by and most are 2500 not 3500 to boot.

A low mileage 15 LTZ wouldn't be a bad choice either, only difference is the power steering setup from what I've read.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge is offering 0% for 48 months on diesels, so that's a huge difference if considering a Dodge, used makes zero sense. Never had a issue getting the best rate offered, last purchase I made them do even better then what Dodge was offering. When you make a deal, and put it is contingent on a certain rate and term, they make it happen to not loose the sale.

It's still tough to trust those numbers. If the dealer had the used truck in stock for awhile and wanted to get rid of it, compared to having to bring in the new one, etc. IME they always want a fortune for the slightly used. And was the new the rock bottom price? For example a new dodge limited with a sticker of $90k is doable for $70k all in, easily for less now. If you play hardball and know what the price should be, you'd be amazed how low they will go.

Ya but then you have to drive a dodge!! And get caught up in the poor resale value spiral.
Also, the market for healthy used trucks is really tight in western Canada. The brokers in the states are taking advantage of the difference in the dollar and moving anything decent used to the states.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son has been looking for a newer used 2500-3500 Dmax for about 6 months now, mostly overpriced if you can find one. Anything he has found usually is gone in a week. I sold my 08 2500 Dmax with 160000k last year to a guy in Utah $29000 cdn. Bought myself an immaculate 12 Denali Dmax Duelly 50000km, gotta love it!

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really liking the f350.

Not sure why people buy the f250 vs the f350.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya but then you have to drive a dodge!! And get caught up in the poor resale value spiral.
Also, the market for healthy used trucks is really tight in western Canada. The brokers in the states are taking advantage of the difference in the dollar and moving anything decent used to the states.

Yea it sucks driving the best of the 3! Dodge's have great resale. Ever seen what kind of money people are getting for a nice 12v/24v? In some cases more than new!

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea it sucks driving the best of the 3! Dodge's have great resale. Ever seen what kind of money people are getting for a nice 12v/24v? In some cases more than new!

Yup. The old ones are worth the same as the new ones. And the resale is only great at the dodge dealers. The other two send them straight to auction.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that's true, hate players dealer games

If your after a GM, Call Wayne Smyl in Whitecourt at Smyl GM. I picked up a new 16 Denali, crew cab, one ton dually with running boards, spray in box liner, mud flaps, weather tech floor mats, and fifth wheel hitch for $69,900.00.
i have bought a few trucks from him now due to the fact that he doesn't piss around with numbers, he will give you his bottom price right off the bat and I have price checked him with other dealers and they don't come close. He will deliver also..
As for fuel mileage, I've found all three close, GM being a little better but latest rumour is the new Ford is pretty good? Someone mentioned something about GM's being harder on DEF fluid on an earlier post, I would agree with that!

If you choose to call Wayne, tell him you got his name from Doug from Cochrane, it might help some and no I do not get anything out of it!!

Good luck with your search.. :)

Top Bottom