Plate Mounting for B.C.ers

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know, this has nothing to do with performance etc. etc. but for sledders and ATVer's here in BC it is now mandatory to have your ORV registered with the Province, and this means displaying either a plate or a decal on the ORV. I know there's lot of guys who will continue "hiding" them in their pack or not getting their ORV's registered to start with (maybe stolen???????) so those readers can go on to the next post and ignore this one. For those who want to "try" and be legal, the pic posted is where I mounted my plate. The existing rivets on the flap are perfectly spaced for the new plate, just make sure you put a couple of washers between the plate and the flap so when you compress the rivet it doesn't just bend the plate in. As well, I put two large headed rivets down below, its doubtful if there'll be any bending in that area so those rivets won't tear the metal. I did the old "bend the flap up" routine 396 times to see if the plate would bend, break, tear or fall off, it passed with flying colors. For myself the test is redundant as I don't get stuck and the flap is never in the up position, but for others this placement might work for you.....Sherm

Attachments

• PlateMounting.jpg
    PlateMounting.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 467

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks obstructed to me if the guy wanted to be a dink about it. I'll just wait for the sticker.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief there actually are a few Officers out there with common sense and when your dealing with snow, it doesn't matter where you mount something be it sticker or plate, its gonna get covered in snow. Even the decal I had on the tunnel would become obscured after a days riding. The problem with the "sticker" is that when you sell the sled, you have to peel it off and then no doubt would have to buy a new "sticker" for it. The plate can at least be removed and then reused on your next machine...

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as a avid rider in BC - but an alberta resident - I need to display an alberta plate to be legit !Is that how I take it !

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Frankly I think they are more concerned about being able to see the plate or sticker while the ORV is being transported. If you have a sled on your deck and the officer can not see a plate or sticker there is a much better chance of them checking you out.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Frankly I think they are more concerned about being able to see the plate or sticker while the ORV is being transported. If you have a sled on your deck and the officer can not see a plate or sticker there is a much better chance of them checking you out.

I like your way of thinking on the "Better chance of the police checking".
I will definitely not put a plate on my sled then.
This way i have up'ed the odds of getting my sled back if its stolen and the cops see a trailer or truck without a plate on...There by pulling it over to check it out!

Been pulled over lots of times leaving the mountains (hotel) real early in the AM and have thanked the policeman/woman every time for being diligent....

Just a thought here, I will comply to any rules set out.

I call this the double edge sword or playing devils advocate.....LOL!

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So b.c.ers pay a one time fee for a plate that's transferable to a new
ride if they get one
and albertans have to pay every year to renew
there registration plate on there ride
( or multiple rides )
this is bs for the AB s
No?

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive put my plates on my flaps for over 20 years.I dont get the problem,seams like people just need to bitch for the sake of bitchin.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good Sherm! I don't run a snow flap though, so it wouldn't work for me. Ill have to find somewhere else.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was running a snow flap(i ride a T3) But last season the whole flap got ripped off my friggen sled! lol

The Plate wouldn't last long there with me riding the sled.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stompin Tom hit it pretty much on the head. You won't see many, if any, Officers up on the hill, at the bottom of 911, waiting for sledders to show up and see if their plate/decal is on and show you the registration. But for sure, when your headed to Timmy's for coffee and you've got 2 sleds on the deck without a plate/decal on it, you are obviously the meal of choice for that Officer. I also found it was a great time to find other "problems" when you started whining, about the law, but then that was just me! Thanks crew!

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stompin Tom hit it pretty much on the head. You won't see many, if any, Officers up on the hill, at the bottom of 911, waiting for sledders to show up and see if their plate/decal is on and show you the registration. But for sure, when your headed to Timmy's for coffee and you've got 2 sleds on the deck without a plate/decal on it, you are obviously the meal of choice for that Officer. I also found it was a great time to find other "problems" when you started whining, about the law, but then that was just me! Thanks crew!

You got it, start whining to the cop because you have a plate but its in your backpack, next thing you know those illegal light bars draw attention, the lack of mud flaps on your rear tires, marker light on your deck burnt out, tires dont have the snowflake, it can go on and on. Do yourself a favor and put the plate on.

Im sure the dude with the $500,000 Ferrari doesnt want to run plates because they dont look cool, but guess what, he does.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless they are going to be driving around at 300kmh down the Hiway, then some times they hide them.....

Ferrari_458_trydeal_licence_plate-500x300.gif

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
plate mount looks good , quick question , if the sleds are on the truck at timmy"s without a plate they should be fine ? no ? still ok to ride private land without a plate , so if the machine is on your truck and not in operation it should be legal . once it hits the ground different story .

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the sled is on the truck and no plates on the sled, your getting checked! That's the reason for the new rules (and old ones) is the ability for Officers to Ron your sled plate to see if it's stolen. No plate on it draws suspicion not just to the sled but you as well. I'd rather have the plate on the sled, it's checked and comes back clean, and I'm gone sledding. In the mean time your still at Timmys attempting to explain why you have no plate on and scrounging just to find some registration. Hmmmmm, seems like a no brainer to me....Sherm

Top Bottom