Skid plate install... Or.. "Buy a Doo they said, you'll love it"..

Hotwheels81

Reaction score
Sorry it's not a long winded professional type write up but iit's not a terrible install it's just a bit of a pain... I dident remove the pipe and I have baseball mitts for hands, one backup washer for the nose rivet on the left hand side requires working with your finger tips and having a magnet to fish it out if you drop it would sure be a good plan...

I'd give this a 6 out of 10 for the DIY types with moderate skill, bank on 2-3 hours if you work lazily away at it and have a well stocked tool box...

And while you have the hood off make sure the wiring to the pipe probe is not so tight it won't stay in the clip, I had to tweak the bracket slightly and I put a zip tie on that lil module so it won't slide off it's cheesy mounting bracket...

two things I noticed that surprised me were the clutch cover weighing way more than I thought it would and Doo's module brace being super thin... Think 14-16ish gauge...

Sorry R Y for the sideways pictures.

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    470.6 KB · Views: 352

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use tape to stick the washer to your finger than hold it while a friend does the rivet worked good for me.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skid plate install... Or.. "Buy a Doo they said, you'll love it"..

Mine went easy. Lay on side without pipe. Princess Auto air riveter.20 min. Pipe was out to put in ‘The Thing’ cooker😊
cf50b54e06436a1614809dadde9cf307.jpg

Last edited:

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Skid plate install... Or.. "Buy a Doo they said, you'll love it"..

Seen how many rivets i needed to fix my whoopsie and i went and bought one to, so slick for the money. You would be proud doug i think it i hit the biggest tree in fernie. Skid plate installs super easy when the sled is like this by the way
54AE1686-B607-4D73-88F1-DEA461FDA1BC.jpg

Those PA air riveters are the cat's meow! Best $49 I ever spent.

Last edited:

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Skid plate install... Or.. "Buy a Doo they said, you'll love it"..

Ignored rivets on the last few sleds and just went with simple 1/4" bolts, washers & nylocks. Water freezing overnight & ice buildup eventually breaks the pop rivets.

Remember the days when we used to only add skid plates after we popped a hole in the belly pan with a stump? Can't get away with that attitude anymore.

Top Bottom