Pit roasts

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone dig a pit build a fire and throw wrapped roasts then cover it. I think the slow roast lasted 12 hrs. This was done by my parents generation when I was a puppy the roasts always turned out delicious

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone dig a pit build a fire and throw wrapped roasts then cover it. I think the slow roast lasted 12 hrs. This was done by my parents generation when I was a puppy the roasts always turned out delicious
There was a little bit of drinking involved in this process

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. I heard my parents talking about doing it before.

Might have to give it a go

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad did lots of those. Was never a fail. Always turned out good. He would use charcoal briquettes and line the hole with rocks first. One big flat rock on top and cover it up with sand.

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have done that lots out hunting or backcountry trips.
Dig a pit throw a bunch of rocks that you can find, softball to football size. A least a 20l pail full or so.
Start a fire in pit, heat up rocks good. When fire is out cover rocks with a little dirt, have roast wrap a 2-3 layers of tin foil. Lay it at the bottom and cover up with dirt. Have at least 6” of dirt over the roast. Do this first thing in the morning and its ready for supper. dont use too lean of roast or it will be a bit dry.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at the Hawaiians… they do a traditional covered pit cook out.

Top Bottom