pipe, nitrous and clutching question

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im currently running a 600 skidoo engine with a dynoport pipe, the pipe says i should have my clickers set to run at 8300rpm, i beleive stock it is suposed to hit 8000-8100. now with my nitrous setup i havent had a chance to really dial it in yet, but from what ive heard i should expect a 300rpm increase. is 8600rpm too much for the 8 seconds or less? should i set my clickers down to 8100 or so when running nitrous?

Pack Mule

Reaction score
I have used several different clutch setups with NOS and have found some things that work.
If you clutch the machine so that it will just barely pull the track speed or it even drags the RPM down (in your case say 8100 rpm) and run a 25 or 30 shot it will pull HARD!!!

If you set the machine up to hold RMP easily at the 8300 and hit it with a 50 Shot it wont pull as hard as setting it up to put the power to the track.

Rode with a guy with a 800 rev with a 50 shot and all the thing did was rev out, even hit the rev limiter but little change in track speed.

My sled with a 25 shot would nearly stand on end because the HP was getting to the ground.

Clutch light and don't get greedy with the NOS. A little goes a long way if you cluch right.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But if you are setting it up to rev under peak power rpm then when you are not on the button you wont be getting max power out of your motor.. So it will be deceiving because when you hit the button you are gaining from the nos yes but you are also going to be making more power just from the motor because you are actually spinning it at the rpm that gives you max hp.. What we have done with some guys that use nos alot is set-up there clutch so that they run on like clicker #4 and then if they know that they are going to use the button then they go down to like #2 or 3.. The use of quick clickers make changing clicker position a breeze.. But with setting it up this way then when your not going to be on the button you will still be gettin the best power out of your motor as possible.. Just my two cents...

Pack Mule

Reaction score
Great info!! I definatly envy Skidoo's quick adjust system.

I used to do this on my Cat prior to this season, (I now have adjustable weight) is to run the the heaviest weight I could with a 54/46 helix, then put in a 57/50 helix if you were using the button alot one weekend. The sled would pull full RPM on a 45* incline but if it was steeper or really deep snow and it would drag down the RPM a 100 or 200, with this you hit the button the track speed increase was incredable.

In my experience if you take a smaller motor that requires alot of backshift for riding in the hills, hit it straight up with NOS you get alot of RPM, with a little track speed. With a little clucthing give and take you can set up that small RPM increase to give you great upshift.

Lots of guys have great success with NOS. Run colder plugs, watch your EGT's, use good fuel and hit the button.

Top Bottom