PIEPS Global Finder

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking into getting Spot, Inreach, PIEPS or possibly a SAT phone
for Back Country emergncy situtations.

Spot and Inreach are less expensive which is a plus.

The PIEPS is new and has some cool features

-Sending and receiving of messages in real-time (SMS, E-Mail, text and position messages). Full global coverage also in polar regions.

-“LIVE-Tracking”: Satellite-technology for tracking and positioning via web.

-Special Emergency-button for alerting via satellite. Inclusive search and rescue insurance with worldwide coverage.

-Optimized GPS-features for outdoor use – comfortable management on PC/Mac (tracking, waypoint navigation, positioning).

-Permanent weather observation: display of protocol (reduced air pressure) and more services via E-Mail or SMS.

-Li-Ion technology assures stable power supply also under extreme conditions.

I like that you can send and RECEIVE messages in real time. Spot connect and Inreach you can only send messages? or am I wrong?

PIEPS is 800$ tho,, at that price am I better off with a SAT phone?

I dont want to break the bank here and this stuff just keeps getting more

advanced,,(and coming down in price) I try to be pretty safe in the back country

but we do some pretty extreme stuff and its best to be prepared for the worst.

And some of this new technology is pretty cool:beer:

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like that you can send and RECEIVE messages in real time. Spot connect and Inreach you can only send messages? or am I wrong?
I think with the Inreach you can buy one that will pair with your smart phone and allows you to send and receive txts

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think with the Inreach you can buy one that will pair with your smart phone and allows you to send and receive txts

Cool thanks ill have to look into that. Then I need to bring a 500$ smart phone also tho..

The less stuff I have to pack the better,, If the pieps also worked as a beacon,, they would have a winner.

Maybe with a built in blue tooth 2 way radio with ear piece also,,, Ok now im just dreaming...lol

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks ill have to look into that. Then I need to bring a 500$ smart phone also tho..

The less stuff I have to pack the better,, If the pieps also worked as a beacon,, they would have a winner.

Maybe with a built in blue tooth 2 way radio with ear piece also,,, Ok now im just dreaming...lol

Most guys I ride with bring there phone anyway, don't want to leave them in the truck, and taking photos on the hill. There
is splotchy cell service in a few of the spots we go and none of has a spot or Inreach yet. On the other hand a different Inreach pairs with their GPS and you can send txt via that I believe. Just went on their website and there is a new model coming out
Inreach SE, says you can pair via Bluetooth! Getting closer to your dream! Lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most guys I ride with bring there phone anyway, don't want to leave them in the truck, and taking photos on the hill. There
is splotchy cell service in a few of the spots we go and none of has a spot or Inreach yet. On the other hand a different Inreach pairs with their GPS and you can send txt via that I believe. Just went on their website and there is a new model coming out
Inreach SE, says you can pair via Bluetooth! Getting closer to your dream! Lol

Yeah thats the problem with this electronic crap,,Spend 800$ on the coolest new gadget and 1years
later its obsolete.

Ill definatly be checking out in reach a little closer.

Top Bottom