Bargain Finder Scams!! watchout when buying/selling sled parts!

hihi962

Reaction score
I posted an ad to sell some new Crankshop twin pipes and the guy buying them seemed a bit fishy and I didn't really believe he was an authentic buyer. read some of the emails going back and forth, his messages are red while mine are green:

Classification: Snowmobile Trailers & Parts
Ad Text: Brand new set of ceramic coated Crankshop twin pipes with all mounting hardware. will fit Ski-doo 800 2003-2007 models. these cost me $1300 new. call 780-XXX-XXXX
This customer viewed the above ad on BuySell.com and would like more information
Name: Edward Hunk
Email: <edward.hunk@yahoo.com>
Phone:

Question: Good Day Seller, I will like to buy this item from you but I want to know your asking price and the working condition for this item...Mode of payment is by Money Order or Certified Check. Thanks

Subject: RE: E-Mail SALES LEAD from Buysell.com!
To: <edward.hunk@yahoo.com>

Hi, I am asking $850.00 for the pipes, they will work great as they are brand new and never used.. has all hardware with them too.
let me know.

Subject: PAYMENT AND SHIPPING...
To: <XXXXXXX@hotmail.com>

Thanks to you, I am happy you still have the item for sale. I am okay with your asking price and I will believe you on the working condition. Though, I wish I can come to see it but I am out of town and I won't be able to book an appointment. Meanwhile, the item will be ship once you have received and cash payment from your bank. All I want you to know is that I will include the shipping to your asking price for easy shipping arrangement of the item. So kindly email the following payment information needed to have your payment mail out to you. The full name you want on the payment, the full address the payment will be send to and your phone numbers to call you on. I await your reply with the requested payment information so that the payment can be mail out without any delay in completing the transaction. Best Regards...

Subject: RE: PAYMENT AND SHIPPING...
To: <edward.hunk@yahoo.com>

What is your address? I cannot determine shipping if I do not have an adress.. A regular cheque is fine, this way it will cost you less money.

Thanks,
XXXX.

Subject: PAYMENT INFO NEEDED...
To: <XXXXXXX@hotmail.com>

I live in Vancouver, but presently out of the province to Paris, France. Please note that you will not be involved in the shipping arrangement and process of the item, I have a local shipping company that will handle the shipping arrangement. All I just want you to know is that I will include the shipping fee to your asking price. So I will want you to kindly email me with the payment details below so that I can mail out payment to you without any delay in completing the transaction.

Your Full Name:-
Physical Address:-
City:-
State:-
Zip/Postal code:-
Home phone:-
Cell phone:-

Get back to me with the following payment info so that the payment can be mailed out to you without any further delay in completing this transaction.

Edward,
correct me if I am wrong.. but please verify your story a little, it just seems really strange to me... usually the type of guys that buy their own exhaust systems do not go to Paris and don't live in Vancouver since there is not much snowmobiling around there.. so where do you ride? what type of machine do you have that you are putting these pipes on?
there are a lot of people on the internet trying to scam hard working good people, so I do my best to report any suspicious activity, please provide more details to verify your story a little..

Regards.

I never heard from him since, and the vocabulary just doesn't seem like a guy that would be putting these pipes on himself then shotgun a beer after that.. He was no sledder I think. So keep an eye out for MOFO's like this!

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much as soon as they start off super formal, and ask to pay by money order or chequ, It's a scam.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL.. seen that now and again too.

hihi, where did you get your avitar? I don't suppose it's yours? I likely do know the stockmaker.

hihi962

Reaction score
yea, I don't put a lot of used stuff up for sale on the Fargain Binder, but sounds like there is no shortage of idiots out there trying to rip off the honest guy. some guys get sucked into this because they are desperate or really wanting a sale.

Canuk, no its not my gun, just a cool photo... you make guns or stocks? I actually need two stocks, PM me if you have contacts.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like the one where they send you check for your pipes and then add $1000 to the price. send out billy bob to pick up pipes and demand the extra $1000. leave, and you are then missing the pipes, the asking price and the extra $1000. this all happens before the check clears the bank, then you also have some banking fees to pay.
they still must find people to fall for this. you would be better off not cashing said check, and waiting for the clown to show up and then demand cash. make him waste his time, and then call cops at the Tim Hortons to come and pick up ole billy bob.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its a scam...Ive bin trying to rent a room in my condo for awhile and have gotten three replys like yours with the same bad grahmer..and they want to send me money ,cause there are all from somewhere in europe wanting to secure a place to live in calgary..anyway you still have those pipes?

hihi962

Reaction score
its a scam...Ive bin trying to rent a room in my condo for awhile and have gotten three replys like yours with the same bad grahmer..and they want to send me money ,cause there are all from somewhere in europe wanting to secure a place to live in calgary..anyway you still have those pipes?

haha! yea, still got the pipes for sale... and for an honest local guy (with cash) I'd knock off another $50.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you have just the pipes or the can ass well...are they ceramic coated?will i need a new y pipe?

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya seen this lots the reason the engish sounds funny is because they cant speak it and use a translation program

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might have been a scam but maybe the guy didn't want to deal with you after you pretty much insulted him by saying he is full of crap. Who are you to say snowmobilers don't go to France. And by the way, there is some great riding around the Vancouver area, its called Pemberton. And the Coquahala Hwy is not that far either.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might have been a scam but maybe the guy didn't want to deal with you after you pretty much insulted him by saying he is full of crap. Who are you to say snowmobilers don't go to France. And by the way, there is some great riding around the Vancouver area, its called Pemberton. And the Coquahala Hwy is not that far either.

its a scam

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years back I sold a mbrp exhaust can to a guy in minnesota. He sent the money order, I got the money and sent the can. Also did the same thing with guy in saskatchewan for a stock exhaust. I had no problems at all. I felt the buyers in my case were taking a bigger chance than myself. I did talk to them on the phone a couple of times as well and no english problems. His story seems a bit off though.

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've delt with scams like this trying to buy a quad. Said he was in military but if I send money and quad was in fredricton he would send me quad. Also they do this with dogs. Tried to get a bulldog pup, guy told me he was a minister that got transfered to Africa and it was to hot for the puppies, but If i send him money he would surely send me the puppy. (yeah right) again they both had bad english. Watch out if it is too good to be true it probably is.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the first sentence of the email you can tell it's a scam right away, *hint* "I will buy this item from you".....lol....what kind of buyer would declare that in the first line of his email, without asking any legit questions?? Not only that, it sounds FOREIGN. I would have deleted this before going further. I now know how so many get scammed over the internet.....:nono::nono::nono::nono:

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how about the fact that he referred to the pipes as the "item" and his whole email was generic enough that he could have ( and likely did) cut and paste it into hundreds of adds.

you could have been selling a watch, a BMW, a blender, or a snowboard.

motomike450r

Reaction score
Glad you caught on before becoming another sad story.:beer: cheers for that.
As I read his emails I kept picturing the animation with the robotic voices, the guy and gal in the office talking about "the ford, super duty, with, blacked out, windows, and rock star, rims....."

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres far too much of this going on,. Glad you found out very early on

Top Bottom