Pictures from Sugarbowl Feb.1/11

AB_Summit

Reaction score
Here's a few pictures I took yesterday, we went and checked out the Sugarbowl area west of Nordegg. It was a beautiful day but there wasn't much snow. There were too many rocks sticking out to make it over Littlehorn Pass. So we went back down and tried coming up the back way up Littlehorn Creek, but there was only about 6" of snow and lots of rocks. We also went up the old lookout near Crescent Falls and got a nice view of Abraham Lake.

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting- we were just talking about Nordegg yesterday and wondering how the snow was... Answer: skinny.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does anyone know of a good detailed map of nordegg area, im unsure of where to ride and where not to...

AB_Summit

Reaction score
does anyone know of a good detailed map of nordegg area, im unsure of where to ride and where not to...

If you take a look at page 12 of this document it shows the Sugarbowl, Onion Lake, Ranger Creek, and Scalp Creek sledding areas and some of the other trails around Nordegg as well.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that valley in the 3rd pic a couple years ago i was stuck right about the bottom of the pic, buddy sidehilled by me and spun out on the crusty snow. shot straight up hill and flipped the sled as he was still standing on the running board. sled landed on top of him and started rolling don the hill, caugh the hood of his hoodie between the track and rear bogie. he rolled three times down the hill before slamming his head between that big rock and the sled track.:eek::eek: lucky he had his helmet on tight as it nearly ripped it off as it was. scary chit watching that from 15 ft away and you cant help because the snow is waist deep and the crust is about 3" below that.

nice pics though looks like alot more snow than when we tried to get in though. the whole left side was bare when we were up there.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever ridden scalp creek? Looks like decent elevation there.

Any reports of blackstone (north of nordegg) or baseline/falls creek. We used to ride there a lot when alberta acutally used to get snow.

I too was thinking about taking a run up to sugerbowl but with the lack of snow guess we will stick to crashing drifts in the ditch.

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
was just north of nordegg today,,,,,, maybe an inch of fresh,,,,,,,, 1.5 - 3 feet of powder,, very little base though,,,,, was a good workout getting my sons sled unstuck alot,,,,,, not sure if you are going into the bowl or not??? saw lots of snow blowing off the tops of the mnts, as per usual. real windy the last couple days,,,, taking a group out to the degg next weekend.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Hey the next time someone goes to Sugarbowl, please post me as we have always wanted to check it out but never had anyone that could tell us exactly how to get there, it would be nice to do a day ride there just to scratch the itch when we cant get out. I have heard that it is more of a late season ride though and can be as good as Revy, is that true?

Top Bottom