Pellet stove

hmmc

Reaction score
Who has one of these, and what advice could you give someone that is thinking about putting one in there house? What brand to go with where to buy at and who to install? I don't know if I should go with pellet stove or would stove? What do you guys have and think. Thanks for the help in advance.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good- Good heat, clean burning, not to much mess to keep clean, convienent.
Bad- Have to buy pellets(free wood is everywhere), some fans/augers make some noise (crackling burning wood sounds better imho), if the power goes out so does the fire, depending on the size may not put out enough heat.

I have both, if you have the space for wood storage etc, I say go old school..wood is a little bit more messy and time consuming but it's quiet, wood is "free", and if you get a good stove it will burn quite efficent. my .02
I looked at Vermont castings etc, old cast iron stoves, ended up with a Weatherford, very happy with it, looks great and pumps out the heat, have had to open windows in -30..

good luck.

BAD ASS

Reaction score
Check Dansons Inc. at Dansons - Stoves Burning Wood & Corn Biomass Energy - Barbecues Grill Technology My son in law, Jeff, makes/manufactures Pellet stoves and Pellet BBQ's in Edmonton. I have 2 of their units, one in the house and one in the garage. The one in the house has been heating a large home, 3800 sg ft for 7 seasons, from Oct to Apr 24/7 with only gas backup when we're not home. Work GREAT !!!!!!!! Nice Dry heat vs damp heat of gas and or propane. I have also installed quite a few for my customers with very positive results.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have pellet stove in my basement,,
It is a Enviro model.Lots of heat ,,clean,and no mess .I would recommend one if you dont want the work of a wood stove

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I use air tight wood stoves and I have 3 units; a Valley Comfort forced air furnace, a Blaze King Classic, and a Blaze King Princess. First of all some planning needs to be done to make the process easy! Wood storage needs to be close and convenient; need stoves with long burns and very efficient; wood gathering should be done in the spring for ultimate drying and green wood should be dried for 2 years. It is best to cut standing dead wood as it is the driest. If one cuts blow-downs, the bark should be stripped for good drying.

I don't like to pay for pellets, gas, nor electricity. Wood is cheap but the paraphanelia to gather wood is not; chainsaw, cables, cinches, bars, wedges, truck, side rails. To keep the wood dry a covered wood shed is great! I have since forgotten about poly and tarps that are a royal pain. Being able to drive up to the shed is an asset and it should fit in with the exterior of the house.

Other than when we are away for more than a day we heat totally with wood and the process today is a lot different than when I first started burning wood in the late 70's.

The ultimate decision is your and it is my understanding that the pellet stove doesn't work in the event of a power failure. My shop and house will be warm as toast and I like it that way.....:d

Top Bottom