Parkland County Internet

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looks like we will be moving to an acreage in Parkland County and it seems my only options for internet are Xplornet and Platinum Communications. Anybody have experience with these providers? Xplornet is more money but looks like it could be faster with 4G service but there is a monthly usage limit. Looks like Platinum has no data limit but not 4g, only up to 3mbps, which means alot less in real download speed. What do you guys who have either service think?

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am trying to Edit the title but it keeps freezing up on me. Is there an Admin that can fix the title to County?

Sammy

Reaction score
My parents started running Xplornet this summer and so far has been trouble free for them. I don't know the speeds, however it would say they are adequate. They were used to dial up and then ran a telus key, Xplornet has been an improvement over telus.
They run a PC, iPad and my iPad whenever I am out there with no issues. No experience with the other ISP.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we lived in Alberta beach we tried Wildrose wireless and they were terrible. Switched to Xplorenet, found the speeds and service to be much faster and more consistent. Plus the hardware was a rental, unlike Wildrose who charged us $700 for hardware, install and setup. Then took the unit that was to stay with the house when we canceled (no option to suspend service). I would go with Xplorenet again if I had to choose.

Good luck !!

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are out by Genesee and run Xplornet, no issues to speak of except it is what it is and do not expect the "4G" they boast. Nothing compares to the hard lines folks in the city enjoy. We use netflix and download a bit of music with never getting a overage bill. Seriously sucks for gaming if you got kids are spend your sleepness nights in front of the PS3 waiting for the snow to get deeper. Once and a while a modem reset is needed and that I have yet to figure out why. Hope that helps.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where abouts in parkland in parkland are ya moving …. i have canada surfs where im at and its pretty good other then the peak times of the day it slows down but that is to be expected !!

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Range road 14 near Hubble's lake.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in Lac St. anne county on range rd 14 by Devils lake. ( GBCA lol )We now have Explorenet Satellite Internet service. It's awesome, no problem watching Netflix and we use several iPads and pc.

Thegeneral

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you guys ever gone over the bandwidth? Can get up to 100 GB a month, I that plenty?

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
were on explorenet on secondary 628. it works pretty good.. and yes you can up your data if you need.. that is is they find signal..

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in Lac St. anne county on range rd 14 by Devils lake. ( GBCA lol )We now have Explorenet Satellite Internet service. It's awesome, no problem watching Netflix and we use several iPads and pc.

Thegeneral
what does the sat internet cost a month ??? cause netflix and shaw on demand i do have problems with !!

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just asked the Finance dept. and she said $90/month and if there is a limit we've never reached it. both she and our son watch Netflix almost every day.

Thegeneral

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. Conditions were waived yesterday so we will be acreage folk in 4 weeks. What satellite is the best. Bell telus or shaw?

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got rid of Xplornet and went with the new Telus Smart Hub. Much better! Averages 25-45 mbps download.10 -20 mbps upload with no crappy Xplornet throttling . No dish or wiring to install required,just plugs in where the Wifi router was (same size unit). Uses cell towers and does not need a strong signal. Everywhere in Fallis (Wabamun Area) is consistent speed . Android TV box works great now. Basic plan is $60-50gb $75-250gb/month.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was gonna switch. Guy came to my house so I could try and seemed good. How is it so far.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14 day trial period if you don't like it. It has battery back up , so I drove all around with it on the dash taking about 20 speed tests on WIFI---works good. I am trying it in the Darwell area tomorrow.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm over in the Heatherdown area and Xplornet sucks for us here. The tower is overloaded so to speak so after 5pm and weekends good luck streaming videos or downloading. Have heard good things about CCI but am not able to get a good signal off the beach corner tower so I can't make the switch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got rid of Xplornet and went with the new Telus Smart Hub. Much better! Averages 25-45 mbps download.10 -20 mbps upload with no crappy Xplornet throttling . No dish or wiring to install required,just plugs in where the Wifi router was (same size unit). Uses cell towers and does not need a strong signal. Everywhere in Fallis (Wabamun Area) is consistent speed . Android TV box works great now. Basic plan is $60-50gb $75-250gb/month.

Good to know was looking at it today may switch from what we have now. Plus can take it to the cottage or motorhome.

Top Bottom