Painting plastic is not the answer.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I didnt know that the majority of people dont know how to DYE plastic. yes paint just chips off, but dye penetrates the plastic. after dying if you scratch the plastic its still the colour you dyed it. you can do this with RIT dye, cold water and asitone. or boilng water, and RIT dye.:d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nanowe1tG9g

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you try the special paint for plastic? i used some once and it seemed to stand up alright... but if your trying to paint the nose cone it might just get wore off from the wear and tear.

700cat

Reaction score
he posted a link (you tube) on here showing someone dying half of a yo yo
looks like it will hold up great

but ya need a big container of the stuff mixed up

don't see no link? and can you dye black plastic lighter?:confused:

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to try that on my 800 rev's jerry can!

The one that fits under the seat! Then my sled would be almost all black besides the tunnels! (Shiny, I polished it =P)

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of companies that specialize in dying plastic, leather and vinyl. ARC in Kelowna does a fantastic job. They have done work for me in the past on custom interiors. Fibrenew is a larger franchise across north america that also does it. They still do a good job but not as good as the guy in Kelowna.

I have dyed many parts myself in the past but they never held up as well as the professionals work. Make sure that the plastic is free of all oils, dirt and impurities or it just won't stick. As well once the items are dyed it helps to hit them with some heat (heat gun) and they need to sit for up to 30 days to cure properly.

I didn't watch the video link so I apologize if this has already been explained.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of companies that specialize in dying plastic, leather and vinyl. ARC in Kelowna does a fantastic job. They have done work for me in the past on custom interiors. Fibrenew is a larger franchise across north america that also does it. They still do a good job but not as good as the guy in Kelowna.

I have dyed many parts myself in the past but they never held up as well as the professionals work. Make sure that the plastic is free of all oils, dirt and impurities or it just won't stick. As well once the items are dyed it helps to hit them with some heat (heat gun) and they need to sit for up to 30 days to cure properly.

I didn't watch the video link so I apologize if this has already been explained.

Where is ARC in Kelowna? I couldn't find anything on the web. Do they have a site?

Where do you get that dye stuff at to diy?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is ARC in Kelowna? I couldn't find anything on the web. Do they have a site?

Where do you get that dye stuff at to diy?

RIT dye can be bought at (shudder) ......Walmart.

For bigger parts I'm wondering if you couldn't mix it up in a spray bottle and spray it on to let it soak in? Any thoughts?

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIT dye can be bought at (shudder) ......Walmart.

For bigger parts I'm wondering if you couldn't mix it up in a spray bottle and spray it on to let it soak in? Any thoughts?

ive seen guys mix up rit dye with acetone, but I think the best thing to do would be go to the dump and guy a $10 bath tub? iduno, I though about this myself.

Top Bottom