Pack rat stories.......

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Went on holidays to the Shuswap last week and came back to an interesting story. We have had pack rats before (usually every second year) and some years they are harder to catch but this year is was the first night. They love the garden and the lilies, ferns, and mums. I was really surprised on the mountain ash trees and a group of wolf willow trees. Both mountain ash trees where very similar when we left but as you can see from the picture, he sure liked the one closer to the wood pile. Little bugger just went to town and was definitely ready for winter after 10 days of unhindered harvesting. Carcass was recycled by the ravens........Anybody else got a pack rat story??

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We have them out at Catararct Creek. They like the groomer shack. We have removed about 4 so far. We received access to a groomer building that was unused for about 10 years. Well it was lived in by pack rats. It was gross. 10 yrs of pack rat crap didn't smell good. We cleaned it out and washed it with pinesol and it still sticks. they are gross little critters. Their piss is red and stinks. It was uguly

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went on holidays to the Shuswap last week and came back to an interesting story. We have had pack rats before (usually every second year) and some years they are harder to catch but this year is was the first night. They love the garden and the lilies, ferns, and mums. I was really surprised on the mountain ash trees and a group of wolf willow trees. Both mountain ash trees where very similar when we left but as you can see from the picture, he sure liked the one closer to the wood pile. Little bugger just went to town and was definitely ready for winter after 10 days of unhindered harvesting. Carcass was recycled by the ravens........Anybody else got a pack rat story??

View attachment 206299

View attachment 206300

View attachment 206301

View attachment 206302

View attachment 206307

View attachment 206308

View attachment 206309
Ha ha ha this is funny, I love revenge. After the rats and mice go after my fancy travel trailer every year this is the best result.
like really get a job and rent your own place to live... yah yah I know they can't lol.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caught 17 of the little buggers in one summer at my place about 4 years back. Had babies in the air box in my truck and stripped the firewall insulation out of 3 of my vehicles before I got them all. I hate those things!

Not gonna tell the story about the wife and I at 2:00am chasing down the one that got into the house. Too much nudity involved.

The next year it was flying squirrels. Trapped 11 of them trying to get into my attic. I hate those things too! :rant:

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sh!t Doug, your pack rats are dumb, here they clean off the peanut butter right clean without setting it off, I have to zip tie little chicken bones to the trap to get them

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sh!t Doug, your pack rats are dumb, here they clean off the peanut butter right clean without setting it off, I have to zip tie little chicken bones to the trap to get them

Maybe you need to get the pliers out and fine tune the hook mechanism. Some years I have had that problem and it took days to catch 'em. Maybe I got lucky this year!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here's all that is left after the ravens and maybe a fox did a recycle job. A little fur and the gall bladder. Interesting how they can so neatly pick out that organ and not eat it.......

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine went hunting in his RV and while parked for 10 days a pack rat decided to make his RV a new home. My friend HATES rats and mice so had a hard time sleeping at night in fear this critter getting under the covers with him. So, he would have his shot gun beside him just in case. Well, at 2 AM rat shows up and my friend decides to unload some shells in his RV killing the rat and essentially his RV as well which was only 4 years old. I had pics but cant find them but what a mess all because of one rat LOL

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
A good friend of mine went hunting in his RV and while parked for 10 days a pack rat decided to make his RV a new home. My friend HATES rats and mice so had a hard time sleeping at night in fear this critter getting under the covers with him. So, he would have his shot gun beside him just in case. Well, at 2 AM rat shows up and my friend decides to unload some shells in his RV killing the rat and essentially his RV as well which was only 4 years old. I had pics but cant find them but what a mess all because of one rat LOL

sounds like a warranty issue to me

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have had the little bastards fill the HVAC system on vehicles with dog food numerous times, from the outside. Makes you appreciate a cabin filter, as the mess generally doesn't get past that. Changed the oil on my GMC 2500 a couple days ago. There was a mound of sunflower seeds on top of the cab filter, and they'd been gnawing on it.

Top Bottom