overnight huts

martincc

Reaction score
A few of us would like to take our girlfriends out sled skiing to introduce them to sledding. Anyone know of any good backcountry huts that could be rented for the weekend to use as a base to do some camping, sledding and boarding? We'd like to head out for a night or two. Something accessable from Calgary.. Golden, Fernie, Revy sort of areas. thanks for any info.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few of us would like to take our girlfriends out sled skiing to introduce them to sledding. Anyone know of any good backcountry huts that could be rented for the weekend to use as a base to do some camping, sledding and boarding? We'd like to head out for a night or two. Something accessable from Calgary.. Golden, Fernie, Revy sort of areas. thanks for any info.

verllee and curtis hagley
just a bit west of coleman on number 3 highway

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
guys i think hes thinking of a back country cabin, not a place in the valley bottom, i may be mistaken though

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
There's actually an old trappers cabin up in silent pass(quite cozy) that can be rented, and would be an awesome place for a few couples to take in...... Just south of golden a ways...... Might be what you're lookin' for.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think this is what you are looking for...

this is a cabin that is accessible by snowmobile only. it is mainly used as a base for ski touring, but you are right in the forester snowmobile area which on a nice clear day is really really nice. lots of meadows to ride, with a few climbs all around the outside. you can head up to thunderwater from there and whirlpool too. check out the Golden thread for more info on Forester.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think this is what you are looking for...

this is a cabin that is accessible by snowmobile only. it is mainly used as a base for ski touring, but you are right in the forester snowmobile area which on a nice clear day is really really nice. lots of meadows to ride, with a few climbs all around the outside. you can head up to thunderwater from there and whirlpool too. check out the Golden thread for more info on Forester.

Actually you are not allowed to ride up to the Dave White Cabin, its supposed to be only accessible to skiers, although some dipchit always rides right up to the door every year.......:nono:

Please keep in mind when sled skiing that you are representing both skiers and sledders.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the Columbia Valley Hut Society website.

"Ministry of Tourism, Sport and Arts has determined that snowmobile access will be closed at 300 metres from the cabin beginning winter 2009/2010. A ski and snowshoe trail will allow all foot traffic beyond. "

It is a good spot to take the girlfriends though. And really nice ski touring right from the cabin.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just checked out that Grizzly Lodge website. Looks pretty cool! Not quite as intimate as Dave White or McMurdo, but you don't have to cook!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually you are not allowed to ride up to the Dave White Cabin, its supposed to be only accessible to skiers, although some dipchit always rides right up to the door every year.......:nono:

Please keep in mind when sled skiing that you are representing both skiers and sledders.

You are right, you can not ride right up to the front door of the cabin, but from the parking lot it is only accessible by either a sled, or snowshoes (and presonally, i wouldn't be snowshoeing for 27km). As it describes in the previously attached link, the last 50m of elevation HAS to be done on foot.

As he mentions that he is interested in boarding and sledding, i think this would be a nice option.

And agreed, if you are up there sled skiing, you are a representative for both sports, so follow the rules. Like don't sled on the glacier either.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Some of those dipchits are skiers pulling skidders....just sayin:cool:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are right, you can not ride right up to the front door of the cabin, but from the parking lot it is only accessible by either a sled, or snowshoes (and presonally, i wouldn't be snowshoeing for 27km). As it describes in the previously attached link, the last 50m of elevation HAS to be done on foot.

As he mentions that he is interested in boarding and sledding, i think this would be a nice option.

And agreed, if you are up there sled skiing, you are a representative for both sports, so follow the rules. Like don't sled on the glacier either.

Forester is an awsome area with four cabins.....beware as Olive Hut and David Whites General Store are out of bounds to sleds. Olive Hut is waaaaay out of bounds. No sleds on Glacier.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LOL - sorry dude yes you are correct. :) My post is not clear. Yes you can ride to the meadow below the hut, you just can't ride up to the hut from the meadow (last 500 ft). What I meant was that there is always someone who rides the last 500 ft from the meadow up to the cabin door:nono:.

You bet it would be a great place for someone looking to entertain both interests (skiing and sledding) and with women in tow because its right there and not too far to go back and warm up if they get cold or if the weather socks in (typical Forster). I would be cautious of leaving my stuff there during the day unsupervised and bring a tarp for the sled down in the meadow overnight incase it snows.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of those dipchits are skiers pulling skidders....just sayin:cool:

Not talking about skiers with skids, I know what you are saying though, but its not them often, its actual sledders riding up there and trenching out the trail. If the skiers trench it up pulling the skid to the door, fine then, they can report themselves if they want, but sledders are still getting blamed for access issues before the next group shows up. This area is already on the bubble unfortunately. Would hate to see it closed.

Also if you are sled skiing in the area for multiple days, keep in mind that you cannot pack any gas past the sign at the skinny bridge before the sled hut. You will have to stash it there and hope its there when you need it, gas theft has been a problem so hide it well.

Zig Zag

Reaction score
Eagle Valley Lodge best deal best place 3 great areas real close.:beer:

martincc

Reaction score
thanks for the input guys.. sucks you cant ride up to the cabins, I'll see what happens, hard to walk in the deep snow with all the gear when you snowboard! I always thought that cabin at forester was for sledders like at quartz or boulder.

Top Bottom