Outlander rad question.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm having some overhearing troubles with my 10 outty 650 I have some bent rad fins which I feel is the culprit. I am just wondering how many fins per inch the rad has so I can order the appropriate rad comb. Thanks.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure but the rad comb in my tool box at work has 4 sizes on it. Get one of those.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm having some overhearing troubles with my 10 outty 650 I have some bent rad fins which I feel is the culprit. I am just wondering how many fins per inch the rad has so I can order the appropriate rad comb. Thanks.

Not sure but the rad comb in my tool box at work has 4 sizes on it. Get one of those.

There ya go............ just go into Wild's tool box and take his :D

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless you have a lot bent over (fins that is) I might look at cleaning the rad thoroughly. When I did my rad relocate, I thought I had a clean rad, but when I took it out to move it, I found it was very caked on the back side. Just cuz it looks clean on the front doesn't neccesarily mean that the back is clean. Just my two cents.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless you have a lot bent over (fins that is) I might look at cleaning the rad thoroughly. When I did my rad relocate, I thought I had a clean rad, but when I took it out to move it, I found it was very caked on the back side. Just cuz it looks clean on the front doesn't neccesarily mean that the back is clean. Just my two cents.

Very true. I found the same thing when I did my relocate. And one of the biggest reasons I recommend buying the xmr rad kit from brp. Being able to quickly take 2 bolts out and swivel the rad to access the backside with a hose ensures a fully clean rad for optimal performance.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. I like having total access to the rad like that. The only thing I dont like about the kit is that you need to take that cover off to get to the rad cap.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a rad comb from a local parts supplier that has two attachments, each with 6 different sizes on it. JEGS Performance Products 80760 JEGS Radiator Fin Comb

Unless I wasn't using it properly, I found it only works on fins that are only mildy bent. In the end, I just used a sharp tool to manually straighten the fins on my friend's sportsman.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same one I own. You have to really take your time doing it. You can usually only do one bent fin at a time if they are totally screwed. Follow the straight ones with only one bent one and conb over until that one is straight then move onto the next one.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use really small needle nose pliers, and a crab load of time like three beers worth!

hedge

Reaction score
You can get the rad pretty clean on the bike by removing the 4 bolts from the fan and letting it fall away from the rad. I couldn't believe how much mud was in there when I did it the first time. Once I had it cleaned well it solved my overheating issues.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get the rad pretty clean on the bike by removing the 4 bolts from the fan and letting it fall away from the rad. I couldn't believe how much mud was in there when I did it the first time. Once I had it cleaned well it solved my overheating issues.

Yup, cleaning it properly is probably the single biggest thing you can do to remedy heating issues. ...but it's pretty hard to clean properly if you have a lot of bent fins.

Hallsey

Reaction score
Your tubes may be bulged causing your heating problem. Go to your dealer and have it checked out. I had my rad changed out under warranty. It's also a 2010 650

Top Bottom