Outlander 800 problems

redivivus

Reaction score
I bought a used outlander 800 last year it is snorkelled an rad-relocate on it. I bought a ron woods full exhaust system with a fuel controller. Runs good until i get into water. I replaced the ecm module because the pervious owner didnt take good care of it and it was all corroded. Any ways when ever i get into some what deep water i loose alot of power and it is not my clutch its like its getting into my motor or fuel loss of power. So i was curious if maybe y exhaust is too big and water is going in through there or through the knuckle joint at the y. Possible crack in the moor? Apparently it had two motors in it before i bought it amazing how much people dont tell you haha but it runs great in mud or any other time. My air filter is clean and was not ever wet that i noticed. Any body with an idea?

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you get it back on dry land how does it run then, does it lose power right away? Does it sound like it is running on one cylinder? need more info. I would double check your CVT that it is no getting any water in it as a slipping belt feels like you are loosing power. If it is electrical, coat every connector in dielectric grease. When i first snorkled mine I had the soak on the intake, it plugged up and destroyed two belts before I figured out what was wrong. It got so hot that is had melted the CVT cover taht it warped it. I have it sealed with glurp now but I am changing it too the XMR style one this spring.

redivivus

Reaction score
sorry yes it starts to sputter in the in water and sputters on land. its not the belt ive filled the clutch before. and tbh I wouldn't know what it would be like on one cylinder but now that you say it does seem to be just running off a cylinder. possible that the spark plug drain is blocked and its shorting out the one cylinder?

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes you could have a cracked boot, check and see if you have any carbonizing around the plug, coat the plug end in grease and try again. If the boot has obvious signs of cracking , replace. don't overlook the wire itself could be rubbing on something and shorting out. Good hunting!

redivivus

Reaction score
if its ingesting steam then I should silicone my Air box I have not yet don't that but I really don't feel like ever going that deep because a swamped quad is not a fun quad. but I believe the previous two owners completely submerged the bike judging by the old ecm :nono:

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check ALL electrical connections, last spring an S&M member was having issues with his ride (brp 800) and it was as simple as the battery terminal being loose...couple more washers fixed it right up....hope ya find the issue!!

redivivus

Reaction score
will do thanks a lot guys ill repost when I get a chance to work on it. but I think im going to redo the snorkels regardless

redivivus

Reaction score
I couldnt see any problems with the spark plug harness but when it gets a little warmer ill pull them out and inspect throughly. But after i play in water for a bit and venture out she runs like �� and takes about 5-10 minutes or it to sort her self out. Im positive its not my belt for it even runs like poo in neutral. Im just scarred that it will be a major and water is gettin in the motor ill check my crank case oil as well my motor oil is tip top

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodgeguy may have nailed it or be real close. These things are very finicky about having clean tight battery connections. Also, there are two big fuses in "weatherproof" connectors back by the battery....make sure they are not corroded...clean and add dielectric grease.

redivivus

Reaction score
will do. will a bAD battery connection make it run off of one cyclinder? I am going to change out the spark plug harness regardless the end was not on very well. any one every pull one out?

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could also be the fuel pump. when they act up they start to run like ch!t and sometimes stall

redivivus

Reaction score
Hey guys! Just an update. I changed out both spark plug wires and ends and loaded the di electric grease on them. Figured the old cables were corroded wich they were took her for a test run yesterday not one problem! Shes all fixed up until i blow a belt or rim again haha thanks a million guys saved me a bunch of money( geico) haha

redivivus

Reaction score
well our derby was a success!!!!! no problems no break downs. again thanks so much about the spark plug wires!!! now I just have to re-do snorkels because they leak haha

Top Bottom