Opinions on used truck for hauling sled

georgef

Reaction score
Hey just wondering what everyone thinks is a reliable used truck. I need it mainly for using as a daily driver in the city but also want to be able to haul my 151 summit x long distances a couple times a year. Looking about 2004 range with 140000km give or take. Thinking chev/gmc 1500 or a mid size truck like a nissan frontier/toyota tacoma ... thoughts?

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure a half ton would be fine for that. Myself ideally a 3/4 ton and a long box is nice so the sleds dont hang way off the back but that might be a bit over kill for you only going out a few times a year.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd find a GM 1500 with either a 4.8l or 5.3l. It will get you home every time.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a long box.
X2. A long box will make your life much easier.
I would shoot for a 1/2 ton Chev or Dodge Hemi.
Toyota's and Nissan's will cost alot more and likely won't haul it as well. Not saying they won't do it, but ECLB Dodge Ford Chev will be much more up to the task IMO.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1978 Chev 3 quarter ton with a 350. You can buy them for less than a grand and fix anything that breaks with a crescent wrench and a paper clip. And parts are cheap! And the truck is always only worth the amount of gas in the tank.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1978 Chev 3 quarter ton with a 350. You can buy them for less than a grand and fix anything that breaks with a crescent wrench and a paper clip. And parts are cheap! And the truck is always only worth the amount of gas in the tank.

Really? Your reccomending a 35 y/o truck that gets about 13mpg as a long distance vehicle in the winter with a sled in it?
I wouldn't want to be more than an hr away from a gas station or repair shop with a rig that old that's worth less than $1000!!!! Fixing ch!t on the side of the trans canada hwy on the side of a mountain when it's dark cold and snowing ain't cool!!

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com

I have to agree with LBZ on this one. Reliable was a keyword in the original description. Not "Fixable"

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stay away from the ranger. i have a fleet of 15+. 10+ are now in the boneyard fleet lol. they work great until 200,000km then the big problems arise. not to mention they are so lite they are scary on the highways on the ice they just float around its an odd feeling. also. no room. you wont even be able to cram you sled gear in it

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stay away from the ranger. i have a fleet of 15+. 10+ are now in the boneyard fleet lol. they work great until 200,000km then the big problems arise. not to mention they are so lite they are scary on the highways on the ice they just float around its an odd feeling. also. no room. you wont even be able to cram you sled gear in it

I had one yeats back and agree with everything above. Mileage on that V6 wasn't any better than my 1/2 either.

Top Bottom