OK, So if you had $5000 in expendable cash to invest into something...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
there is no yield.... they suspended dividends in December.... Everything now is speculation but I'm thinking they will eventually come back strong re-introducing the dividend eventually.... I think it's a bargain right now...

Penn West might also be a bargain at $2-ish but there is concern about how long they can endure $40 oil....

on another note the sky is falling on pot stocks prior to market close....CGC from 30% up to 27% down sitting back under $10 now

Crazy yield on Newalta. Think they're gonna drop it?
Gonna look into them a bit to see if it's worth it, just sold a bunch of Trican this morning so waiting for another pullback.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Would have been nice to take the profit from ACB but I snoozed and lost.... everything else I hold is fluctuating within comfortable limits...just need the ceiling to pop.

Quick bounce back for CGC... in the time it took me to post this it bounced back from $9.90 to $11.90... crazy

Cgc down 3.61 on the day. Sold both blo and acb and some coin. Everything is crashing should be able to buy back in before the day is over :)

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy day foresure,Im not a professional trader by no means but have been trading mmj stocks for 8 months and its a roller coaster ride.wish i would have got in on cgc but missed the train,i hold acb,thc,afi and others all have done extremely well and only going to continue up.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
There it is Newalta briefly touched the $1.75 mark.... time to double down.....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
There it is Newalta briefly touched the $1.75 mark.... time to double down.....

they're doing allllllllllll sorts of stuff right now....... I deal with them ALOT........ big fleet change out coming to all their heavy equipment, fleet management contracts etc...... be interesting which way it drives them!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I believe they are WAY undervalued right now..... Book value is $3.44/share - current share price gives a valuation of 96M yet when times are good their annual revenue is 738M with profit of 170M.... and a$0.49 dividend per share - if a person were to buy in at 1.80 and they eventually got back to 2012 levels your yield would be 27% annually based on buy in.

they're doing allllllllllll sorts of stuff right now....... I deal with them ALOT........ big fleet change out coming to all their heavy equipment, fleet management contracts etc...... be interesting which way it drives them!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I took a a nibble today, sniff test looked decent.
There's so many companies with potential out there but market ain't touching you if you have high dept....

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I took a a nibble today, sniff test looked decent.
There's so many companies with potential out there but market ain't touching you if you have high dept....

Did some technical chart day trading today, made a few bucks forsure on ACB and CGC. Excited for tomorrows open.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy's lady driven RZR....lol seriously though the best thing is to shoe box that money.SAVE IT.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Profit taking brings high-flying Canadian marijuana stocks back to earth.... I wouldn't be investing in weed stocks now, and if you did recently, you've lost your shirt ;)

Financial Post, yesterday afternoon posted:
The outcome is inevitable. Whenever any single market segment goes up consistently over days on increasing average daily volumes, the only question is when, not if, a hard reversal is on the horizon. For Canopy Growth Corp., Supreme Pharmaceuticals, Organigram Holdings Inc. and Aphria — Canada’s leading marijuana stocks — that day came when exchange administrators triggered “circuit breaker” logic to halt trading five times to cool demand. While achieving the desired effect, that action appears to have also triggered the hard reversal described above.
Traders who pile into momentum movers like the marijuana stocks are general opportunists, in large part. The anomalous price/volume increase is one of the key signals monitored by millions of algorithmic programs that conveys the emergence of an opportunity based on momentum. To avoid getting caught at the top of the market, sophisticated traders look for any signs that the momentum has reached its apex, and is no longer sustainable.
At that moment, algo traders and shorts pile in to maximize the opportunity on the downside, all of which exaggerates what would otherwise be a more natural and less volatile market movement. While “circuit breakers” undoubtedly have the effect of kneecapping unbridled momentum, they also have the unintended side effect of inducing a reversal in momentum. That is the phenomenon underway today, in large part.
And just as the upside tends to be overdone in terms of momentum driven price spikes, the same applies to the sell-off.
But once the nascent phenomenon in an emerging asset class of unprecedented price/volume has peaked, that will be that for a lot of traders, who will then go off to find other volatility signals.

Trying to figure out what these companies are actually worth is the challenge. Without exception, valuing them on their balance sheets alone demonstrates in no uncertain terms that the recent heights cannot be thus justified. The valuations reached in the last two weeks are the result of speculation, pure and simple. The nature of the speculation is not based on “what is the fair value of this company,” but rather “how high can this stock be driven based on the irrational exuberance and expectation this stock has generated?”
Related
Canopy Growth’s banner year and a billion dollar valuation
Marijuana stocks stealing all of the action in Canada by unprecedented volumes
‘The valuations are really stupid’: Marijuana stocks spike trip circuit breakers, temporarily halted
So while sophisticated models might come up with an ostensibly credible predictive algorithmic program, most opportunistic momentum traders shun fundamentals in favour of technicals. In inexperienced hands, technical analysis based on trade data has always been an exceedingly reliable method for predicting the past. Under the expert application of Chartered Market Technicians, they become arguably more relevant, though that is not my area of expertise.
For now, the signal is clear: conservative investors will likely have opportunities ahead to buy at cheaper levels, though will probably wait for some semblance of a visible floor in the share price, and a diminishment in volatility, to consider re-entering, or adding to positions. That will happen once the crazy momentum volatility play is over. At this point, trading suggests it is still very much alive, but trending downward.
As at 10:50 am ET Monday, shares in Canopy are down 12.78 per cent from the opening price of $12.45 on volume so far of 3.16 million, at about $11.00 per share. That is down 38.41 per cent from its intra-day record set on Nov. 16 of $17.86.
James West is an investor and the author of the Midas Letter, an investing research report focused on Canadian markets. The views expressed are his own and are presented for general informational purposes only. They should not be construed as advice to invest in any securities mentioned.
James West and/or associated funds do not own shares in any securities mentioned in this article. For the full Midas Letter disclosure policy, click here. Postmedia and Midas Letter have a revenue sharing arrangement.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Market commentators and insiders also write articles aimed to incite sell offs and market manipulation. Today is a red day.... very red.... everything associated with cannabis is down, some upwards of 25%.

But lots of people bought in at those 20-25% dips and now the prices are slowly starting to come back up again. One of the biggest issues is that there are no benchmarks or comparables, Canopy is not a $2B company YET so a $17 share price is not realistic, at the $8.80 it is now it might be a bargain.

Research is key.... I'm way down today but I also doubled down on a few fundamentally strong producers with big cash flow and product distribution agreements..... there are a lot of companies out there that have benefitted from the "pot craze" and have/had big valuations with no product/sales/assets to justify it.

I'm not all that concerned...... wait that is a lie, watching the share values tank is scary as hell, but I have to trust that my due diligence will pay off and today/this week is a blip on the radar of the bigger picture, I did not get caught up in the Canopy and Aphria hype.... I feel for those who bought in at $15+ and have lost 50% which may take a long time to recoup....but you don't lose if you don't sell. I suspect that long term CGC will be a $50 stock and APH will be $30+..... but that will likely be years from now...... remember facebook's IPO was under $30 in 2012.... $122 right now.....

In the time it took me to type this I regained 11% of my mid-morning loss

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Working on a second mortgage for the house right now..... :cigar::cigar:

I don't want to lose, but I'm not a high roller and if I lost it all it would have no impact on my daily life or my retirement plans......

Buy, buy, buy right now... While it's below market ;)

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd buy pot stocks IMO. Medical mary jane is the new hotness!

ETA: I should have read this through. Seems like lots of you have already jumped on the bandwagon!

Last edited:

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been doing well with athabasca oil, newalta and especially blackpearl resources recently.

Had teck all lined up around $4 but work was uncertain with talks of lock outs and or layoffs so i decided to play safe.
Hate when i look at it no more than a year later and its now in the mid $30's. coulda been a small fortune.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Everything Cannabis is down again this morning, not sure how far it will fall...........

Market price orders after yesterdays close would have been winners.... seems everything opened down but is quickly starting to correct.... I hope....lol

In 10 minutes I went from 18% red to 2.5% green....

Last edited:
Top Bottom