OK, So if you had $5000 in expendable cash to invest into something...

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do I play the market a lot-No,although I do dabble a bit. Am I an expert? absolutely not! I have been watching this stock for a while now as Coalspur is in my backyard and is a factor on my decision to keep or sell my 71 acre property. I do have Coalspur shares too. Closed at .35 today. Waiting for the go-ahead from the government now that all the hearings have been done and all the interveners satisfied. Decision to be made within 90 days.FYI-this stock hit 2.12 a couple years ago. Would look pretty good in the TFSA if that happens again-and I think it will. JMO of course.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would look in to blackberry they were going under. Now ford are using them for there menu in the new vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I just thought I would check back and see how Coalspur was doin..

Hope you got out when you could on this one..

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=CPT.TO

Do I play the market a lot-No,although I do dabble a bit. Am I an expert? absolutely not! I have been watching this stock for a while now as Coalspur is in my backyard and is a factor on my decision to keep or sell my 71 acre property. I do have Coalspur shares too. Closed at .35 today. Waiting for the go-ahead from the government now that all the hearings have been done and all the interveners satisfied. Decision to be made within 90 days.FYI-this stock hit 2.12 a couple years ago. Would look pretty good in the TFSA if that happens again-and I think it will. JMO of course.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ever build that meth lab CUSO that I thought was a good investment lol?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went in with a "neighbour" LOL

Dentists are making some good money now.. HEH HEH

You know, Blackberry would be a good thing to watch. I think the storm has passed.. Excuse the pun..

Did you ever build that meth lab CUSO that I thought was a good investment lol?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Fast forward 2 years and that $5000 would likely be worth $500 if it was invested in any small cap energy stock.....

I wish I had of started managing some of my own investments back when this thread was started, the catch is you need to have the time and be willing to check in on your investments regularly, the higher risk the more attention required. 6 weeks ago I opened up two self directed accounts one RRSP ($4000) and one TFSA ($2500)- small balances high to medium risk stocks.

Marijuana stocks have increased 2-8X in the past 4 weeks, some of them up and down +-50% within days, I haven't quite got the timing down yet and without having a crystal ball you will inevitably leave profits on the table when you buy or sell.... this bothered me at first but I'm teaching myself to only focus on direction and not timing. My initial $6500 has been as high as $10,800 and as of today sits around $10,375 and when my current holdings decide to re-test their recently set ceilings I should be able to sell out for about $13,000 effectively doubling my money in what I hope to be under 8 weeks.

In hind sight I would have been better off to have held investments in some cases when I sold, my $6500 could have been over $20,000 if my timing had worked out better, but I like to try and manage my exposure to risk by regularly converting my investments back into cash and resetting. the proper direction is up and so long as I'm trending up I'm trying not to concern myself with potential profit left on the table. Realistically it is just ??educated?? gambling, looking for trends and trying to get in and get out ahead of the majority. I'm confident that at this point my initial investment is somewhat secure and I take bigger risks with the profit.

I've also put some money into Calfrac, Trican, Newalta as they are sitting close to 5 year lows because everything oil bottomed out in November 2015 and has rebounded some but not close to where they were in September 2014 (Calfrac was at $20+ then pulled a 2 for 1 split effectively making the shares worth $10-ish, then they suspended all dividends in Dec 2015 bottomed out at $1.06 today at $2.70) Most small cap local oil firms have similar stories and eventually they will come back. Just my opinion but I'd bet (in fact I am betting) that they will be back in the $15-20 range before 2020.... If that happens then the annualized return lies between 35-40% - But I'm just guessing.

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my neighbour is a geologist and is very involved as a principle in a few junior mining companies. 3 years ago I bought $8,000 worth of shares in CXO which has very promising results in Northern BC / Yukon. I bought at around $0.55 per share then stocks took a tumble to around $0.05 as many investors use these junior mining companies as right offs from larger profits in other companies. Anyway, I wish I had listen to my neighbour and bought more as some guys cashed in when is went back up to over $0.60 a share and they cashed in for over 1/2 million bucks on their $50,000 +/- investment. Needless to say I bought $25 grand worth at $0.22 per share. Wont know until next year now how it will turn out as drilling won't start again until July. They are even getting some TV time

Rick Rule discusses Colorado Resources - Video - BNN

Fast forward 2 years and that $5000 would likely be worth $500 if it was invested in any small cap energy stock.....

I wish I had of started managing some of my own investments back when this thread was started, the catch is you need to have the time and be willing to check in on your investments regularly, the higher risk the more attention required. 6 weeks ago I opened up two self directed accounts one RRSP ($4000) and one TFSA ($2500)- small balances high to medium risk stocks.

Marijuana stocks have increased 2-8X in the past 4 weeks, some of them up and down +-50% within days, I haven't quite got the timing down yet and without having a crystal ball you will inevitably leave profits on the table when you buy or sell.... this bothered me at first but I'm teaching myself to only focus on direction and not timing. My initial $6500 has been as high as $10,800 and as of today sits around $10,375 and when my current holdings decide to re-test their recently set ceilings I should be able to sell out for about $13,000 effectively doubling my money in what I hope to be under 8 weeks.

In hind sight I would have been better off to have held investments in some cases when I sold, my $6500 could have been over $20,000 if my timing had worked out better, but I like to try and manage my exposure to risk by regularly converting my investments back into cash and resetting. the proper direction is up and so long as I'm trending up I'm trying not to concern myself with potential profit left on the table. Realistically it is just ??educated?? gambling, looking for trends and trying to get in and get out ahead of the majority. I'm confident that at this point my initial investment is somewhat secure and I take bigger risks with the profit.

I've also put some money into Calfrac, Trican, Newalta as they are sitting close to 5 year lows because everything oil bottomed out in November 2015 and has rebounded some but not close to where they were in September 2014 (Calfrac was at $20+ then pulled a 2 for 1 split effectively making the shares worth $10-ish, then they suspended all dividends in Dec 2015 bottomed out at $1.06 today at $2.70) Most small cap local oil firms have similar stories and eventually they will come back. Just my opinion but I'd bet (in fact I am betting) that they will be back in the $15-20 range before 2020.... If that happens then the annualized return lies between 35-40% - But I'm just guessing.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Weed stocks!!

The TSX Venture is full of weed stocks.... the bigger lower risk players like Aphria and Canopy Growth Corp are up about 100% in the past week and would be considered legit and established long term growth options....

Making cash buying and selling weed.......legally....lol

Lots of opportunity shorting the pot penny stocks.... but also some risk.... 12%-18% daily fluctuations are common with what I feel to be established floors.

Last edited:

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Everytime I buy a oil stock they go tits up but when I buy a weed stock it turns to gold. Updating my phone every 30seconds to see how much it has gone up. ����

Top Bottom