Oil pump Vs Self lube turbo

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the XM is heading to TSS at the end of the month.. and being new to the turbo world i'm curious, when it comes to reliability which one is the better option? the self lube or oil pump?
As of now i was going to go with the proven side mount turbo with oil pump and maybe T off the oil supply line with a pressure gauge. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any piece of aux equipment can fail and adds weight, thats why people go oil-less. Both would be a good in my opinion

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil pump and sump, oil lines, and oil take room sand add weight.... Self lube are self contained... Easy decision for me

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I like the self lube myself for the same reasons,, Less weight, less stuff,, just over all a cleaner setup IMO

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
They both work good. I have had both on 2 strokes and no problems.
the biggest issue is when the self lubers fail, it's 2500-3000.00 and who knows how long to get one. When the oiled turbos fail its under 1000.00 and the sled would be running again in 2 days if not sooner.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure TSS would keep some extra Turbo's in stock?? I know the Aerochargers are close to 3g new but I think those self lube KPA turbo's that TSS is using are quite a bit less expensive?

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Im sure TSS would keep some extra Turbo's in stock?? I know the Aerochargers are close to 3g new but I think those self lube KPA turbo's that TSS is using are quite a bit less expensive?
I'm not sure if the KPA self lubers are released yet. I'm pretty sure they would keep them in stock if they are selling them. We keep 8-10 turbos of various configurations plus replacement cartridges on the shelf.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep a spare turbo in the trailer at all times, never know if something goes south... But so far it's only been a spare

Top Bottom