Oil in 2011 850XP airbox?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard there was a re-call on 2009 850XP Sportsmans due to oil getting into the airbox. Checked my filter today and my airfilter is soaked in motor oil, as well as the entire airbox has a nice coating all around it as well. My quad lost half a litre of oil!! Why would this happen on a 2011? Everything is stock as far as engine and clutching goes. I'm taking it to my dealer tomorrow, is this serious? What could be wrong with my quad?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there should be a breather tube that goes to your airbox from your engine.. maybe it was placed in the wrong spot or something

Yeah, there is but I'm curious as to why it would be getting oil in the airbox. I plan on getting snorkels for it and I'm thinking about routing the breather higher up into the snorkel.

I also recently put in a K&N airfilter. (There was oil in the box before I put in the filter) Does an K&N void warranty?

I thought about putting back the stock filter but paper rips when wet.

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the crankcase vent plumbed into the airbox. I had the exact same problem on my first LTR oil was always in the airbox. Turns out the rings were shot and were allowing compression into the crankcase shooting the oil out of the crank vent into the airbox. Different quad but could be a similar problem.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the crankcase vent plumbed into the airbox. I had the exact same problem on my first LTR oil was always in the airbox. Turns out the rings were shot and were allowing compression into the crankcase shooting the oil out of the crank vent into the airbox. Different quad but could be a similar problem.

Quad is brand new, shouldn't be rings. I heard on another forum it could be caused by wheelies, yet it just started happening.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a recall on the crankcase beather but it wasn't because oil was getting in the airbox. Most of the time it happens from not letting the quad warm up in the cold.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a recall on the crankcase beather but it wasn't because oil was getting in the airbox. Most of the time it happens from not letting the quad warm up in the cold.

How long should I let 'er warm up for? I don't think I let 'er warm up long enough then.

denseleit

Reaction score
That happens all the time in my 09 850. After a couple rides, half a litre gone into the airbox. There was a breather recall a while ago, had mine in and dealer replaced it with what ever the new one was....Not sure whats wrong but its very annoying..Last time I did a compression test, it was over 200psi, haven't checked in 6 months atleast.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 800 has the same thing the box has a nice layer of oil in it and the sock that goes around the filter is basically black but it's been like that for a long time. You can take the sock off the filter and the filter itself is VERY clean yet. We ride ALOT in the winter on the river or where ever we can go and I usually let it warm up good when I unload it from the pickup or get it out of the shed but when we stop for a beer it get shut off right away and when we leave it usually doesn't get to warm up since it only sat for 15-20 mins. It doesn't use any oil and still has a boat load of power so I'm not too worried nor am I going to lose sleep over it.:beer:

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'd imagine that once I snorkel it, if I mount the breather higher up in the snorkel it should help. Also, would a congested intake be the cause of this? If you pin it not enough air gets to the engine so it draws it from the crank?

If so, would (2) 1.5" engine intake snorkels cure this problem?

I added a K&N filter yesterday which is how I came about the oil mess. It seems to run better with the K&N, I'd imagine cuz the paper one was clogged with oil?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I added a K&N filter yesterday which is how I came about the oil mess. It seems to run better with the K&N, I'd imagine cuz the paper one was clogged with oil?

doesn't your stock filter have a "sock" over it? if it does it should keep the filter very clean.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha does the same thing, it's from very high speed driving. The oil gets vaporized in the crankcase and the breather tube directs it to the airbox.

I get lot's in my airbox as quite often I am 55-70km down backroads, I try to keep it under 80 cause my sump is only 2.2L, and after a ride I usually have to add 1/2L.

Your situation could be different, but it's a suggestion nonetheless.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doesn't your stock filter have a "sock" over it? if it does it should keep the filter very clean.

Yep, the filter itself was hard as a rock from the snow it sucked in and the oil that made it through the sock. It has a K&N in it now with an Outerwears and a UNI sitting on standby.

Yamaha does the same thing, it's from very high speed driving. The oil gets vaporized in the crankcase and the breather tube directs it to the airbox.

I get lot's in my airbox as quite often I am 55-70km down backroads, I try to keep it under 80 cause my sump is only 2.2L, and after a ride I usually have to add 1/2L.

Your situation could be different, but it's a suggestion nonetheless.

Hmm, you'd think they would find a way to fix this problem. I don't like the sound of it at all. I think that routing it higher could solve it as the oil would have to travel farther.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, the filter itself was hard as a rock from the snow it sucked in and the oil that made it through the sock. It has a K&N in it now with an Outerwears and a UNI sitting on standby.

Hmm, you'd think they would find a way to fix this problem. I don't like the sound of it at all. I think that routing it higher could solve it as the oil would have to travel farther.

There is a fix for Yamaha, it's called a syphon break

denseleit

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but something cant be right...The oil is passing by different deflectors before entering a filtered chamber on the valve cover, then travelling uphill to side of the air box....I know the crankcase has to breath but there is something definately wrong. I think the siphon break if it is what I think it is would work. If the oil could fall into a chamber before going out other end of breather hose...that would work...but then you'd be emptying the canister thing out every ride...

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a fix for Yamaha, it's called a syphon break

Need one for Polaris now.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but something cant be right...The oil is passing by different deflectors before entering a filtered chamber on the valve cover, then travelling uphill to side of the air box....I know the crankcase has to breath but there is something definately wrong. I think the siphon break if it is what I think it is would work. If the oil could fall into a chamber before going out other end of breather hose...that would work...but then you'd be emptying the canister thing out every ride...

I know what you mean, the YFZ's have this right before it enters the airbox. There is a little black box that the oil can go up into, but then it'll have to fill the box before going into the airbox itself. The drain is at the lowest point to it always empties itself the moment there is no more oil coming up.

I think I may know how this could have happened as well. No to long ago I was out with my friend and we came across a ditch (same one I eventually broke my cable in) but it had a very steep hill on the other side that my quad just barely crawled up. It was just as steep on the other side. Maybe going down caused oil to enter the airbox.

Just a suggestion but I think that could be it. Since I heard that steep off-cambers can do it.

Top Bottom