Oil cap

chezandy0

Reaction score
Stupid cap from day one will not go on all the way bought the aluminum insert no help still losing oil all over the place any tips i was going to buy a new cap and try it out but the problem seems to be with the tank threads but they look fine.POS!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
some threads on mine are buggered to...Dont ask me how it happened cause i have no clue..dont know how you can cross thread those suckers but,,i was just gonna buy a new tank this summer,,mine dont leak though,,just pizzes me off

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stupid cap from day one will not go on all the way bought the aluminum insert no help still losing oil all over the place any tips i was going to buy a new cap and try it out but the problem seems to be with the tank threads but they look fine.POS!

Where are you because I bought a Cat oil cap and sold the sled so never used it. Not sure if it is the same because this was for the old m-8? I dont have a cat now so I could sell it cheap.

chezandy0

Reaction score
Thanks boys im in fort sask not cross threaded ive been trying to find an aluminum cap but no luck thinking a little less flex in it. someone has to make a billet one?maybe just snow check a 2014 hahaha

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying a threaded plastic bushing thread taped over my existing threads and then running an oversize vented cap over that. I'll let you know how that works.

oldy800

Reaction score
The threaded neck on mine went oblong in shape so the cap would never completely seal. You also cant over tighten this stupid set up or it tends to mess it up and you will have a hell of a time getting the cap off. I put in the metal insert i bought from Tom at Motts ( pretty sure you can buy at most dealers now ) and it seems to keep the shape of the neck the way its supposed to be and haven,t had any leaking or difficulty taking off the cap since.

chezandy0

Reaction score
i have the insert too i had to die grind out the inside seams for it to slip in its perfectly round now but to still no avail it will not thread on right im going to try my friends cap and see if there is any difference should be the same result but stranger things have happened. Im tired of losing oil out of the cap maybe a plastic bag then the cap for now and a new tank in the summer.

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RK Tek makes an aluminum one for $100. My buddy bought it and it don't leak no more.
Or you delete it. Cutler makes a greaseless oil delete for 1/3rd the price.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The threaded neck on mine went oblong in shape so the cap would never completely seal. You also cant over tighten this stupid set up or it tends to mess it up and you will have a hell of a time getting the cap off. I put in the metal insert i bought from Tom at Motts ( pretty sure you can buy at most dealers now ) and it seems to keep the shape of the neck the way its supposed to be and haven,t had any leaking or difficulty taking off the cap since.

Mine has done the same thing when i put the cap on i just give it everything i have and then when i take it off i lose a little skin off the knuckles when the cap lets go

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the insert too i had to die grind out the inside seams for it to slip in its perfectly round now but to still no avail it will not thread on right im going to try my friends cap and see if there is any difference should be the same result but stranger things have happened. Im tired of losing oil out of the cap maybe a plastic bag then the cap for now and a new tank in the summer.

The filler neck goes oblong, as stated. Don't put a bag in there, the cap is vented. I've seen guys put the insert in and heat the threads with a heat gun to get them back into shape. If you ground down the insert then your tank was likely oblong and by grinding the insert down you just made the insert fit the oblong tank. Probably should have heated the plastic tank to get the insert to seat completely instead.

check to make sure the rubber seal in the cap isn't compromised as well. You can always try doubling up the rubbers in the cap to see if that would work or try and make one from a softer rubber that will squish out more and seal over the oblong shape of the neck better.

chezandy0

Reaction score
Problem was the tank neck where the cap goes on was not trimmed down from the factory where it was made. The collar was also not level. So I shaved it down wit an wax to knive then made sure it was squared off fits perfectly.The part that pisses me off is the dealership who I got this replaced from because when I picked the sled up brand new it was leaking oil all over place.Pdi yeah right! They then instal a crapy tank.The inside of the neck I had to grind out was where they join thetwo halves of the tank which leaves a seam. Thanks for all your help boys I have a aluminum insert if anyone is interested pm me and an extra cap.

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the plastic bag, my 1000 still sucks that oil down like it always has. Not right but I'm saving up for some doo-laid.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My oil tank neck has gone oblong as well, as of last weekend my cap does not go on properly anymore, spewing oil out all over the place, looks like I need a new tank and will be putting aluminum insert in, what a stupid design that tank is

xmsummit154

Reaction score
bought a 11 xp this year that was leaking oil from the tank put in a insert and all is good now but make sure you dont overtighten the cap otherwise it will push out the oring under the insert and then leak again.

Top Bottom