Oh no! HELP!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between being mechanically inclined and knowledgeable. There is also a difference between being helpful, and a smug know-it-all... Just sayin'

not being smug or a know it all. your the one who asked for help. it only takes a few minutes to pull out the primary jets and check them also the same for the needle jet and to check carb passages. if it's clean your good. it's up to you. get it wrong and you can burn your engine down.
if you can do it, go ahead it's not that big of a deal just giving you my opinion. let us know how it goes. it is easy enough.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMAO Teeroy a foot valve? do ya use a Tumb wrench to get that off buy?
lol....too many years at this stuff. the "check valve" on the suction line in the fuel tank used to be called a foot valve.

I never heard newfie talk until I was in my 30's and they invaded these parts....hilarious some of the terms they use. I can understand the east indians at bell expressvu customer service better than I can newfiespeak.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry but i've never heard of anybody squeaking a motor just trying to start it in the garage!! Tonykunz, give me your email address i've got the shop manual, i'll scan the info and email it to you.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry but i've never heard of anybody squeaking a motor just trying to start it in the garage!! Tonykunz, give me your email address i've got the shop manual, i'll scan the info and email it to you.

ever heard of someone squeaking it driving out the garage to the truck. anyway, he can start the engine by puting gas in the cylinders as you said. but he may have other problems, it is easy to check the main jet and float bowls, if you go this far you may as well check the other jets as it only takes a few minute. my thoughts were that if he gets it started and goes for a ride, he may lean it out and ruin a perfectly good motor, just because he didnt look into the carbs. i have seen it done. i was looking just beyond getting the sled started. shoot me if i'm wrong.:beer:

friggin mung.

tonykunz

Reaction score
Good news, the Trail RMK started with the fuel in the cylinder trick. The bad news is the 700 RMK didn't. I tried the trick 3 times, and still no go. Should I attempt a carb clean on the 700 or is there anything else I need to check.

Also there is a fuel cutoff switch near the handle bars. The red pin points down or rotates counter clockwise 90 degrees so it points to the right side. It's pointing downwards now.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 700 never fired at all? should have fired with gas in cylinders, wether gas was on or not. maybe check for spark pull a plug and cap. place firing end of plug on cylinder head and pull over motor, should be a fat blue spark.

tonykunz

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant it did fire but then died. It wouldn't stay running is how I meant to phrase that. I'm going to check that the cylinders are actually getting fuel by taking the spark plugs out and pulling a few times to see if I get fluid on the tops of the cylinders

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant it did fire but then died. It wouldn't stay running is how I meant to phrase that. I'm going to check that the cylinders are actually getting fuel by taking the spark plugs out and pulling a few times to see if I get fluid on the tops of the cylinders
it's not getting fuel from the tank if it runs for a bit when you pour gas into the cylinders then quits. you're going to have to start pulling things apart. pull the line off the pump from the tank, and using your mouth to make a seal around the gas tank filler hole blow into the top of your tank and see if fuel comes out of the line. if so, then you can eliminate blockage in your tank. then pull the lines from your carbs that come from the pump, pour some gas in the cylinders like you did before and see if fuel pumps from the lines when it starts. if it does, then it is something inside your carbs, possibly stuck floats or float valve that allows fuel into the carb bowls, or plugged off jets. remove carbs, clean and re-assemble.

Last edited:

tonykunz

Reaction score
it's not getting fuel from the tank if it runs for a bit when you pour gas into the cylinders then quits. you're going to have to start pulling things apart. pull the line off the pump from the tank, and using your mouth to make a seal around the gas tank filler hole blow into the top of your tank and see if fuel comes out of the line. if so, then you can eliminate blockage in your tank. then pull the lines from your carbs that come from the pump, pour some gas in the cylinders like you did before and see if fuel pumps from the lines when it starts. if it does, then it is something inside your carbs, possibly stuck floats or float valve that allows fuel into the carb bowls, or plugged off jets. remove carbs, clean and re-assemble.

Thank Teeroy, I pulled the carbs apart and they're sparkling clean, no build up anywhere. So as I'm bs'ing with a guy from work here at the shop, he and I were thinking well it must still not be getting fuel. So he asked me where the main fuel line is, so I grabbed it and showed him that if I hang it low it'll spew out gas. So I showed him and hung the line down and gas came out and then all of a sudden it stopped. So up near the handlebars he turned the fuel shut off from verticle, to horizontal and voila fuel came out of the line. I must have turned the fuel off last year but as there is no markings as to which way is on and which is off, I was trying to start a sled with the fuel off. So now I'm putting the carbs back together and hopefully she'll start.

I'M A RETARD!!!! But thanks for all your help. So to anyone out there, make sure your fuel cutoff switch is actually allowing fuel to go before tearing it all apart!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank Teeroy, I pulled the carbs apart and they're sparkling clean, no build up anywhere. So as I'm bs'ing with a guy from work here at the shop, he and I were thinking well it must still not be getting fuel. So he asked me where the main fuel line is, so I grabbed it and showed him that if I hang it low it'll spew out gas. So I showed him and hung the line down and gas came out and then all of a sudden it stopped. So up near the handlebars he turned the fuel shut off from verticle, to horizontal and voila fuel came out of the line. I must have turned the fuel off last year but as there is no markings as to which way is on and which is off, I was trying to start a sled with the fuel off. So now I'm putting the carbs back together and hopefully she'll start.

I'M A RETARD!!!! But thanks for all your help. So to anyone out there, make sure your fuel cutoff switch is actually allowing fuel to go before tearing it all apart!
right on, nice when it's something simple, even if it makes you feel a little silly....lol. have a great season....:beer:

Top Bottom