Oh no! HELP!

tonykunz

Reaction score
I went to go fire up my '98 Trail RMK and my '99 700 RMK. Neither of them started and I pulled and pulled and pulled. I tried different choke settings, different throttle settings, no throttle. I double cheked the kill switches were on, fuel switch was on, spark plug wires were attached, tethers were attached.

I now feel like I have been donkey kicked in the back, utterly PO'd because these sleds normally are one pull starts. Where do I start? What do I check? I brought them into town fueled them both up after this ordeal (I pushed them onto the trailer with a jeep) and I ran some octane booster in the fuel before I pull started them.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to go fire up my '98 Trail RMK and my '99 700 RMK. Neither of them started and I pulled and pulled and pulled. I tried different choke settings, different throttle settings, no throttle. I double cheked the kill switches were on, fuel switch was on, spark plug wires were attached, tethers were attached.

I now feel like I have been donkey kicked in the back, utterly PO'd because these sleds normally are one pull starts. Where do I start? What do I check? I brought them into town fueled them both up after this ordeal (I pushed them onto the trailer with a jeep) and I ran some octane booster in the fuel before I pull started them.

not enough snow yet wait a couple days and try again.
but pull plugs and check spark.
how long have they beeen sitting carbs may be gummed up.

tonykunz

Reaction score
What does snow have to do with starting them?

I ran them may long weekend pretty good when we got a snow storm

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull your plugs and pour a little fuel in each hole and try again. sometimes the fuel drains back into the tank if you have a faulty foot valve, and pulling wont make enough pulse from the fuel pump to pull up the fuel. if it fires up and won't stay running I would check and clean the carbs.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does snow have to do with starting them?

I ran them may long weekend pretty good when we got a snow storm

da did you drain the gas from the carbs or did you add some stabilizer?

no clean the carbs, dump the old gas and do as teeroy says.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a manual, or take it to a shop, not a good place to start out in the mechanical end of things. it's not difficult, you just need to know what your doing,

tonykunz

Reaction score
I'm very mechanically inclined, just can't ever recall toying with Carburetors. Just take them apart and wipe down the jets with brake clean?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would use a carb cleaner made for that purpose. you can use what you like, your posting just doesn,t sound like to inclined if you know what i mean. brake cleaner is for brakes, carb cleaner is for?

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do what the boys said first, and pour a little bit of fresh fuel into the cylinders. If it fires up a bit and dies pull off the fuel line to one of the carbs and have someone hold it into a cup while you pull the recoil to make sure you have flow. If it's good try siphoning out some of your old gas or if the tanks are fairly empty add some fresh 91. Then pour some more fuel into cylinder and try starting again. Do it a couple more times if it won't stay running. Then maybe it's time for a carb check. but if both sleds are doing it i'd look a fuel issues first. This is assuming you have good spark?

tonykunz

Reaction score
I'm going to be checking the condition of the spark plugs, if I have spark, fuel flow, and just double check the fuel/air mixture settings because I tweaked them a bit last year.

I've heard of people using carb cleaner and it damages the carbs because it's too potent, I've heard other people using Brake Clean or Varsol with pretty good results. Never done them myself, so just was curious as to what people feel comfortable using.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do what the boys said first, and pour a little bit of fresh fuel into the cylinders. If it fires up a bit and dies pull off the fuel line to one of the carbs and have someone hold it into a cup while you pull the recoil to make sure you have flow. If it's good try siphoning out some of your old gas or if the tanks are fairly empty add some fresh 91. Then pour some more fuel into cylinder and try starting again. Do it a couple more times if it won't stay running. Then maybe it's time for a carb check. but if both sleds are doing it i'd look a fuel issues first. This is assuming you have good spark?

who does he call when the sled starts and he revs it a bit and she goes squeek, check the carbs first, clean them, any mung in there and your sled will run like crap and will lean out and you'll find out just how mechanically inclined you are. carb cleaning is cheap motors not so much.

tonykunz

Reaction score
The only reason I'm a bit hesitant to rip my carbs apart is because the sled ran fine in may when we went out. Does the crap on the carbs build up while the sled sits, or is it just built up while you're out using it?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who does he call when the sled starts and he revs it a bit and she goes squeek, check the carbs first, clean them, any mung in there and your sled will run like crap and will lean out and you'll find out just how mechanically inclined you are. carb cleaning is cheap motors not so much.

loosen carbs and twist them so you can access the bottom plug on float bowl. Pull that off and inside you will see your main jet its small brass thing. pull it out and blow through it. If thats clean you dont have to worry too much about hurting anything. Reassemble and then you are safe to pour feul directly into cylinders about 2 table spoons.
If after 8 pulls you have nothing then put fresh plugs in and repeat.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull your plugs and pour a little fuel in each hole and try again. sometimes the fuel drains back into the tank if you have a faulty foot valve, and pulling wont make enough pulse from the fuel pump to pull up the fuel. if it fires up and won't stay running I would check and clean the carbs.

LMAO Teeroy a foot valve? do ya use a Tumb wrench to get that off buy?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason I'm a bit hesitant to rip my carbs apart is because the sled ran fine in may when we went out. Does the crap on the carbs build up while the sled sits, or is it just built up while you're out using it?

Its a green goop that forms when the fuel breaks down dureing storage. You dont have to take the carb completely apart PM me and i can give you a step by step. It just requires a set of cutting torch tip cleaners to run through the various holes.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if he has green mung in the mainjet, why would he not have it in the rest of the jets? he can still have a burn down at half throttle as much as full throttle. i'd say he should take it to a shop as he doesn,t sound to knowledgeable, have them show you how to do it. it is not that hard of a job.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if he has green mung in the mainjet, why would he not have it in the rest of the jets? he can still have a burn down at half throttle as much as full throttle. i'd say he should take it to a shop as he doesn,t sound to knowledgeable, have them show you how to do it. it is not that hard of a job.
\
Oh just go post on a thread about polishing XPs or something. Maybe powdercoat your rails and buy some stock shares in a local helicopter outfit!

tonykunz

Reaction score

There is a difference between being mechanically inclined and knowledgeable. There is also a difference between being helpful, and a smug know-it-all... Just sayin'

Top Bottom