Off Road Lights, Winter Grilles & Sled Deck

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My work colleage has a 20 inch on his truck and he got a fine in valemont for no cover. He was getting a coffee at the gas station and the cop saw the light on his parked truck and gave him a ticket and the light wasn't even on

Thats why they say "off road use only" right on the packaging. Its not if your using them, its IF you can use them. Must be covered or removed on a public road. No ifs ands or buts.

I run a pair of JW Speaker LED lights in my truck, awsume, expensive and legal. Well worth it. The only other high output light that I know for certain that is DOT approved is Sirius HID driving lights, but they must be wired into your high beam switch or they become illegal as well.

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats why they say "off road use only" right on the packaging. Its not if your using them, its IF you can use them. Must be covered or removed on a public road. No ifs ands or buts.

I run a pair of JW Speaker LED lights in my truck, awsume, expensive and legal. Well worth it. The only other high output light that I know for certain that is DOT approved is Sirius HID driving lights, but they must be wired into your high beam switch or they become illegal as well.

Yup, they sure work good but I would hate to meet someone head on with them on. I just put 4 8" HID's on my truck for driving oilfield roads. Gonna have to make sure I put the covers on them when I'm on the highway. I would love to be able to run them all the time but I don't think other drivers would like me to much. lol

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, they sure work good but I would hate to meet someone head on with them on. I just put 4 8" HID's on my truck for driving oilfield roads. Gonna have to make sure I put the covers on them when I'm on the highway. I would love to be able to run them all the time but I don't think other drivers would like me to much. lol

Did you use Sirius or another brand?

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

FYI - I know on a Dodge truck you CAN'T wire any auxiliary lights to the high beam switch, as the all day driving lights run off the high beam circuit.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI - I know on a Dodge truck you CAN'T wire any auxiliary lights to the high beam switch, as the all day driving lights run off the high beam circuit.

I guess thats another reason I will never own another Dodge pickup.

As for wiring the lights off the highbeam, every vehicle I have ever owned I have been able to wire a solenoid off the high beam switch and run driving lights. Its a simple procedure, Im not sure why it wouldnt work with Dodge, but they do some weird things so I guess something I havnt seen is possible.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess thats another reason I will never own another Dodge pickup.

As for wiring the lights off the highbeam, every vehicle I have ever owned I have been able to wire a solenoid off the high beam switch and run driving lights. Its a simple procedure, Im not sure why it wouldnt work with Dodge, but they do some weird things so I guess something I havnt seen is possible.

It did not work on my '06 Mega Cab using the High beam as a switch source only. It was fine once your lights were turned to the "ON" position, but not when the all day driver circuit was active.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if you mounted them behind the grille or in the air holes in the bumper (as far back as possiable on a GMC or Chev.), wonder how much flack you would get doing that ????
Behind the grille might work, cause LED don't produce any heat right so you wouldn't melt anything,right ??

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It did not work on my '06 Mega Cab using the High beam as a switch source only. It was fine once your lights were turned to the "ON" position, but not when the all day driver circuit was active.

You always put a toggle switch between the high beam switch source and the solenoid, then you only activate the circuit when you plan on using the driving lights.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can wire them just fine on a dodge. Did it on my 08 and plan to do it on my 10 soon. Use a relay. Wire from your high beam light to a switch. The other end of switch to trigger relay, like pin 86. Ground Pin 85. From battery or power stud, through a fuse to pin 87. Pin 30 to your lights. Very easy. It will come on with your high beams and use the switch to turn them off. If you leave the switch on with this setup the lights will come on with the daytime running lights. Ran that truck like that for 4 years. Lease was up and took everything out. You wouldnt even know the lights were there. Also it was a hemi so I had the lights mounted behind the grill.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the brand. No name on them. I ordered them off ebay. They sure work good though.

yeah, your going to need covers, Sirius brand are labeled and have the proper DOT stamps in the polycarb lens.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You always put a toggle switch between the high beam switch source and the solenoid, then you only activate the circuit when you plan on using the driving lights.

You can wire them just fine on a dodge. Did it on my 08 and plan to do it on my 10 soon. Use a relay. Wire from your high beam light to a switch. The other end of switch to trigger relay, like pin 86. Ground Pin 85. From battery or power stud, through a fuse to pin 87. Pin 30 to your lights. Very easy. It will come on with your high beams and use the switch to turn them off. If you leave the switch on with this setup the lights will come on with the daytime running lights. Ran that truck like that for 4 years. Lease was up and took everything out. You wouldnt even know the lights were there. Also it was a hemi so I had the lights mounted behind the grill.

Sorry...I guess I should have clarified that you CAN'T wire them on a Dodge with using the high beam as the only switch source...because of the daytime running lights working off the high beam circuit. It's pretty self explanitory that you could still switch them off the high beam circuit if you were to put another toggle into the mix. The only proper way to wire auxiliary lights is by using a relay system with battery power and switch power. Tom...I have seen countless people wire driving lights using only the high beams as the switching source. You might always put a separate toggle in, but not everyone does.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry...I guess I should have clarified that you CAN'T wire them on a Dodge with using the high beam as the only switch source...because of the daytime running lights working off the high beam circuit. It's pretty self explanitory that you could still switch them off the high beam circuit if you were to put another toggle into the mix. The only proper way to wire auxiliary lights is by using a relay system with battery power and switch power. Tom...I have seen countless people wire driving lights using only the high beams as the switching source. You might always put a separate toggle in, but not everyone does.

not every one does, but every one should. There are times when you dont want your driving lights to come on with your high beams. If you go through a CVSE inspection that is something thing they look for.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not every one does, but every one should. There are times when you dont want your driving lights to come on with your high beams. If you go through a CVSE inspection that is something thing they look for.

That's odd. I bought mine in a kit and they came with the switch and such. Mine are hooked up to high beams and a switch. Also got them covers to keep the RCMP happy.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 20" rigid LED light bar it is a "combo" the first 6 bulbs on each side are a flood light and the center is a spot light and it is AWESOME!!!! I can get these for 750 tax in. I love it on my bull bar.

Last edited:

RazorSVT

Reaction score
I have driven all over Canada since mounting my light with no cover and never got ch!t. If A cop ever bugged me for a cover, I keep a roll of black duct tape in the truck that I'd use. If the light isn't on who gives a ch!t.

Top Bottom