Off-breed utv's

Farm_boy

Reaction score
So here is the story, I currenty ride a Kawi Brute 750, and my wife has doubled with me when she wants to come along. We just had our first child and am now faced with the delema that she can no longer come riding with the group.

So I'm looking to buy a UTV, extending the roll cage and adding a back seat so once the little man is old enough all three of us can ride together. I'm keeping the Brute for when I ride with the boys (still addicted to the power it has and lets face it it ain't worth anything to trade in) so this unit will only get used some of the time.

The only reason I consider the off breed UTV's (Midwest or Panterra) is purely the price as I am not going to spend $13,000 on a unit that will not get constant use. My first choice would be a Rhino but again price dictates.

I am looking for honest opions here and not to get flamed for even considering non main stream units please and thanks............:)

Has anyone had extensive experience with the Midwest or Panterra utv's?

How is the reliability?

Service from dealers?

I don't really care about warranty as the best you'll probably get is only 6 months anyway.

Hows the parts availibility?

So far I haven't been able to find a lot of review info on these units on the internet
Thanks for any info...................

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do some reading on this forum. There have been a few people who wasted their hard earned cash on these Chinese made knock offs.

It really bothers me that these cheap units come to North America and suck in the folks who can't afford to buy the real deal.

Yes they are cheap. Are you going to spend thousands and not be able to use your product because it's broke down and you can't get parts? Probably.

You would be better off saving your money and buying a good quality product. You get what you pay for.

Sorry I don't know anything about Midwest or Panterra. I just needed to vent on China made crap.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and i bought 4 direct from China so i speak from personel experiance. Long story but 1 was awful blewup at 100 k,one soso ,the other two not bad. The markup on them is putting the price on them to close to a good used 'mainstream' in my opinion. If you can get a newone for 6500 apx, they might work.Anything over that the used ones are better IMO.Forget about their warranty it`s a joke! With the dollar the way it is and recession iwould look for a deal on a used rhino,possibly in the US as things are very cheap down there now.EX :6000$ US =7200CAN +500 to get it .7700CAN for a good used rhino,not bad IMHO........

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you will be amazed on how often you would use the UTV my dad bought one thinking that it wouldnt get used as much as our quad and the only time the quad gets used is when i drive it and ploowing in the winter, the rhino goes everywhere the quads go, some times better

Muddy Waters

Reaction score
Good advice from most replies here! My buddy had a Midwest and after 12 hours the exhaust studs broke off the cylinder head. The shop where he had bought and serviced it was full off them with the same problem. Warranty was parts only, 12 hours labour was on him. Save your money and buy a real one. And RZRGade, 6000.00 US will cost you 1.27 today, so that equates to $7600 and change, not 7200

Buddman27

Reaction score
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Save your pennies and buy something that can be fixed here without too much hassle. These machines will all break down. The difference is timeline and the ability to find parts. The old Honda quad has gotten the dusty treatment since the RZR arrived. It's just too much fun!!

Farm_boy

Reaction score
You could always go used... 2005 YAMAHA RHINO - Edmonton ATVs & Snowmobiles For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton

Or there is this......

87 Suzuki Samurai... cheaper than a Rhino and street legal too - Edmonton Trucks & Vans For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton

Having 4 kids I've been thinking about going to something along those lines.

Bogger:beer:

Used stuff scares me, I have a couple buddys with Rhino's (one has since swithced to a RZR) I've seen how they get driven, one guy has not made a trip yet without breaking an axle in his Rhino, and thats with stock tires. But the other has never broken an axle and they both drive the same way. So I like to stick to new.

I have done the Jeep thing on big tires, I currently have a samurai that I built a complete tube chassis for and I put coil springs and 4 link all around. I used a fuel injected Tracker engine in it, but samurai axles are weak, so they break, a lot. Believe me pulling an atv axle is a lot easier and cleaner than pulling bearings etc to get those axles out. ATV's are way more convenient.

Anyway thanks for the rely's and I have begun the search for an old model but still new Rhino from a dealership, and since Yamaha is releasing the new Rhino on Feb 10, there should be some around. One dealership I talked to is quite upset that after the release he will be stuck with all his 700 Rhinos an no one will want them...............

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Farm Boy,
Why would that dealer be concerned about the 09 Rhino being such a much better than the 08. I just had a look on the Yami website and the only thing I can see different is the water dip paint and the fender flares.:shrug:

Oh ya, and the huge increase in cost. What's up with that?

Check with the the dealer here in Whitecourt. I was in there a few weeks ago and he had 15 Rhinos. Surley they must be giving some deals on them.

Wildreaper

Reaction score
Farm_Boy
Checkout some of the other Off-breads that are made in the USA.
Reusch is one I believe, seen it at the Calgary Sled show, similar to a Rhino but built a lot stronger and with more clearance and bigger motor. Also Joyner (Seen at the Edmonton sled show) makes a few sport models now that are similar but 1200 cc motors more suspension and cheaper that Rhino's, RZR, and the rest.
I have owned a Rhino since June 04 and if I upgrade i will be looking at one of these units, because the Rhino's, Rzr's will not stand up to the abuse "I" put them through.(I drive them like there stolen, no going around anything.)
just my 2 cents

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Reuch is a cheap chino as well and NOT made in the USA.The joyners are however.

shaneallan

Reaction score
Most Ruesch models are currently made in the USA with swedish motor's and FOX shox. The new Ruesch's actually have less china parts on them than Polaris or Yamaha.

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I do beg to differ as the Ruesch model that I test drove had a CFMOTO 500cc engine in it. Not swedish CHINESE....same engine that was in my chinese quads that you all know how I feel about.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my vote is for good used , just a waste to buy something that won't last , look hard and you will find something mint just have to be ready to react , good luck

shaneallan

Reaction score
at was the old machines. The new machines are totally different and now come with a Highland motor. This came with a partnership with Highland USA. The new machines are ten times better than the original.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are the diffs and axles made? The majority of this machine is made in a factory in china ,and i am talking 09.The larger motors are great,however since stock 700 rhinos break axles & diffs HOW will these hold up. I want to know what SPECIFIC parts are upgraded from the chino.Are the diffs ,axles, drive shafts ,spindles ,belt,wetclutchs ,brakes ,frame, improved and by who.Who makes these IMPROVED parts. I have seen the fit and finnish of these in particular thier long travel version and it is horible .Watch their web promo vidio, they have a guy burning donuts constantly in a paved parking lot. However it gets better ,he is not buckled in his harness. This company has alot to learn yet!!!Until they clear this up these are just an overpriced knockoff!!!

shaneallan

Reaction score
First of all most of the parts on your polaris come from china as well. As for your questions... The diff's are made in japan. It has 1 7/8" drive shafts that have been working great at over 100 hp. No belts or wet clutches because of a direct drive transmission, avaliable in manual or auto.(belt drive's suck for racing rob power and burn clutches under to much load). The frame has thicker gussets with aluminium A-arm reinforcements and polyurithane bushings. The brakes have been upgraded but I do not know the specs. You can call Ruesch a knock-off all you want but they will outperform any other brand and will prove it on the race track. I've been talking to local MX tracks as well as the second gear club to start running a UTV class for next year. You are welcome to come and show what you've got.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here is the story, I currenty ride a Kawi Brute 750, and my wife has doubled with me when she wants to come along. We just had our first child and am now faced with the delema that she can no longer come riding with the group.

So I'm looking to buy a UTV, extending the roll cage and adding a back seat so once the little man is old enough all three of us can ride together. I'm keeping the Brute for when I ride with the boys (still addicted to the power it has and lets face it it ain't worth anything to trade in) so this unit will only get used some of the time.

The only reason I consider the off breed UTV's (Midwest or Panterra) is purely the price as I am not going to spend $13,000 on a unit that will not get constant use. My first choice would be a Rhino but again price dictates.

I am looking for honest opions here and not to get flamed for even considering non main stream units please and thanks............:)

Has anyone had extensive experience with the Midwest or Panterra utv's?

How is the reliability?

Service from dealers?

I don't really care about warranty as the best you'll probably get is only 6 months anyway.

Hows the parts availibility?

So far I haven't been able to find a lot of review info on these units on the internet
Thanks for any info...................

here is my two cents i would stay away from the off breed stuff if you are going to spend 8 - 9 k on one why not by a good uses rhino or something my neighbour found one locally here 187 km on a 700 rhino with a blade and trailer to haul it for 10 k all in people will be dumping stuff soon that can not afford it .

another thing to look at is JOYNER UTV'S i have seen a few of them there are 6 delaers in alberta these are australian made and look like a great unit the fellow in edson has had great feed back from all that he has sold in that area parts are readily available too

Top Bottom