Octane light comes on

fersch69

Reaction score
Ive got a 2011 m8 sp , I run 91 octane but it seems when i get to a little less then half a tank the light comes on and wont let me go full throttle. But when you stop and turn the sled off and start it again the light goes away.If anyone has had this problem please let me know what to do or how to fix it.I ran shell premium 91 fuel when it came on.I have a mbrp can on it and a 4' air intake.Thanks

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got a 2011 m8 sp , I run 91 octane but it seems when i get to a little less then half a tank the light comes on and wont let me go full throttle. But when you stop and turn the sled off and start it again the light goes away.If anyone has had this problem please let me know what to do or how to fix it.I ran shell premium 91 fuel when it came on.I have a mbrp can on it and a 4' air intake.Thanks

Had the same problem with mine as well i just ran a small bet of race fuel seem to work after, but just check all your wires and c if anything is grounding out or unplug....

fersch69

Reaction score
Is there any inparticlur wires i should check or check them all. I called the dealer here where i live and he said pull the plugs. The sled has got only 3 tanks of fuel ran throught it so maybe 200kms.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Has it only happened with the one tank? Was it last years fuel? Maybe your fuel wasn't 91 octane after all. If the fuel is questionable at all, start with that if connectors are all good.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Hey sorry, i just noticed it's a 2011. So i guess last years fuel isn't the prob! However i would still question the fuel. Did you pull your plugs?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey i have a buddy in cranbrook with a 2010 m8 and having this problem as well mbrp can and slp air horn intake mod and throws the octane light he has taken it to dealer and nothing fixed yet so he continues to run a liter of c-111 in his tank seems to work but kind of a real pain

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Hey i have a buddy in cranbrook with a 2010 m8 and having this problem as well mbrp can and slp air horn intake mod and throws the octane light he has taken it to dealer and nothing fixed yet so he continues to run a liter of c-111 in his tank seems to work but kind of a real pain

I also have a buddy with a 2010 m8 with the MBRP can but no slp horn intake and he hasn't had any probs with the Det sensor. So maybe the horn???

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had the same thing happen with my 2010 with an mbrp can. has only done it once though. when it did happen it was on a tank of premium i put in from petro can the the day before. when i shut it off and restarted it was fine so not to sure what the problem was but i would not suspect fuel

mountianman

Reaction score
I also had that happen to mine I was running petro can fuel switched to husky 93 octane and no more problems runs awesome all the time.:)

fersch69

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys.I think i will put a octane boost in when ever i fill and see if that cures the problem.But it weird that it only does it when its less then half a tank.i can play hard all day with out it coming on then when im on the trail ride back to the truck is when it seems to come on.

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have the same sled except with out the air intake and the same thing happened to me on my first climb with a full tank of shell premium only happened once I also switched to esso or husky, also had a bog occasionaly prior to engagement, after first inspection I was out for a couple of hours no bog but stopped after about an hour and it took about 8 pulls and barely ran until i feathered the throttle.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Believe what you wanna believe, but i'd point my finger at the fuel. The new M's run an elevation (high comp) head and of course require at least 91 octane. So without the octane and at lower elevation (like coming down the trail after playing up top) you may have a Detonation or 2. I'll bet if you blend with race fuel even a little you wouldn't have any probs. If you use octane boost, try and find a good product like Klotz or something. The old petro-can special is junk and won't do it. Never had any good results with Lucas products either.:beer:

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to mine last year... Seems almost like a low mileage thing as mine hasn't done it this year. Last year it didn't seem to matter where I got my fuel, it was picky.... I now have a BDX intake this year along with ditching the MBRP can (seems like a common part of everyone's story) for an SLP pipe. Make what you want of it I guess...

Top Bottom